Stained Concrete

Lowbrow

I'm buying a 1985 condo that includes many art deco to mod characteristics. The one thing I do not like about the unit is the original 1985 flooring. The kitchen has a laminate white and grey checkerboard pattern. The entryway and bathrooms are a shiny white tile. The rest of the house is an ugly beige carpet that has seen better days.

I would like to get a contractor out to see what it would take to reduce it all to the slab and then condition and stain it. Does anyone know any specialized vendors for this kind of project? I really dont know much about concrete staining/painting. The conditioning may include laying down more concrete... I have no idea.

Any help is appreciated.

Lowbrow-

You may try contacting a kitchen/bath designer. There are some very good ones in Houston that probably have experience with concrete counters/floors. One thing to consider with stained concrete, though beautiful at places like Pappadeaux's and Chili's restaurants, it is also very unforgiving on the old back and feet, and if you do get it, make sure it is a brushed concrete finish, not slick. The least amount of water on a slick concrete floor is a sure recipe for disaster. Two materials you may consider trying, especially in the kitchen area where people tend to spend a lot of time on their feet, is either cork or bamboo. They are beautiful, durable and easy on the feet. Good luck and congratulations!

Thanks Danax. That was the lead that I was currently following up on. Waiting on a reply.

Good advice, Pineda. I have been debating about what all rooms I would want these concrete floors in and I think Living room, dining room and main hallway for sure. But I will have to do something at the entryways due to tracking water in. Not sure about Kitchen, Bathrooms and Bedrooms yet.

I've seen some of that polished bamboo composite.. it is amazing.

Guest danax
I've seen some of that polished bamboo composite.. it is amazing.

I do happen to know a Chinese woman who was an importer for bamboo flooring up until a few months ago and I can try to hook you up if interested. Sounds like the bamboo composite might be a different substance though.

If the concrete finish doesn't work out, (too costly, whatever) then check out floor & decor on Almeda-Genoa & 45. Some people at one of the big box stores told me on the side how much cheaper they are than their store. They do carry the bamboo flooring if that is something you wanted to consider.

• 4 months later...
I did stained throughout except for the kitchen I left original tile. I used Minds in Motion. They were great.

HAR Link with pictures

Lowbrow, didn't you buy this place back in April. Why the quick turnaround? I thought you were planning on living there. Sorry if you mentioned this another thread. I missed alot of talk on this board from May-July.

Trophy,

You are correct. I bought the place for 2 people but I find that I am now 4 people (got married). It took some deciding to choose whether to keep my place or hers and hers won out due to size. I still went ahead with the upgrades since I had already done the floors by the time this decision was made. Originally, the thought was to rent it out but if I relocate out of the state for work then I dont want the headache of that.

Trophy,

You are correct. I bought the place for 2 people but I find that I am now 4 people (got married). It took some deciding to choose whether to keep my place or hers and hers won out due to size. I still went ahead with the upgrades since I had already done the floors by the time this decision was made. Originally, the thought was to rent it out but if I relocate out of the state for work then I dont want the headache of that.

OK, I understand completely. I bought a townhouse in montrose / midtown as a single dude. two and half year later it is on the market as we decided we wanted a ranch style home with a yard in an established neighborhood. We would like a dog and child and while we can do all that in Montrose we have decided to move anyways.

Do you think you will be able to recoup your upgrades and expenses. It would be pretty impressive if you could get out even or better (after closing costs)

Good Luck