New Or Extended Interstate Highways

I have long believed that the Galveston to Dallas I-45 should be extended north from Dallas, through Sherman, Tulsa, and join I-35 in Kansas City. That would give Houston a straight Interstate shot up to KC and Minneapolis. Another idea would be to extend the woefully short I-27 north from Amarillo to Denver to join I-25, and southeast to San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Or perhaps upgrade US 287 from Fort Worth to Amarillo to Interstate status. To drive from the Metroplex to Denver is either US highways from Fort Worth to Raton, NM and up I-25 for the last 200 miles, or else go out of your way up I-35 through OKC, Wichita, then I-135 to Salina, KS, then west on I-70. through Kansas and Colorado. Or how about extending I-70 west from its junction with I-15 in Utah to go through Carson City, NV and on to Sacramento, where it would join I-80 on to the SF Bay area?

What do you think of those ideas? What others would you like to see?

I have long believed that the Galveston to Dallas I-45 should be extended north from Dallas, through Sherman, Tulsa, and join I-35 in Kansas City. That would give Houston a straight Interstate shot up to KC and Minneapolis. Another idea would be to extend the woefully short I-27 north from Amarillo to Denver to join I-25, and southeast to San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Or perhaps upgrade US 287 from Fort Worth to Amarillo to Interstate status. To drive from the Metroplex to Denver is either US highways from Fort Worth to Raton, NM and up I-25 for the last 200 miles, or else go out of your way up I-35 through OKC, Wichita, then I-135 to Salina, KS, then west on I-70. through Kansas and Colorado. Or how about extending I-70 west from its junction with I-15 in Utah to go through Carson City, NV and on to Sacramento, where it would join I-80 on to the SF Bay area?

I-27 already has upgrade plans in progress which will probably hit Laredo to the south and it looks like they recently added to San Antonio as well and then north with parts to Denver and beyond

really the traffic north to Amarillo and south to Lamesa is not there for an upgrade right now for most of it, but they are starting with the bypasses of some of the smaller towns first to eventually fill in out in the sticks

http://www.portstoplains.com/

another site with a better map of what is currently proposed

http://www.portstoplainscorridor.com/

I would like to see I-37 extended north from San Antonio along the US 281 corridor up to Wichita Falls. At the interchange with US 287/82, I-37 could terminate and the begin point for I-44 could be moved back to that point from it's current start point in downtown Wichita Falls. I also agree about I-45. They could at least extend it to the Oklahoma state line, US 75 is already up to interstate standards up to that point, and perhaps beyond.

My idea for some new interstate highways:

I-9: Through the Central Valley connecting Bakersfield, CA to Sacramento.

I-515: Extend I-515 from Las Vegas to I-40 in Arizona.

I-14: Houston to Austin

I-18: From Meridian, MS to Montgomery, AL then Columbus, GA to Augusta, GA as a Bypass for Atlanta traffic.

I-41: Minneapolis/St. Paul to St. Louis

I-57: Instead of I-69, expand I-57 into Little Rock, AR then through Shreveport, East Texas, Houston, then Brownsville or McAllen (Then everyone in Houston will have a straight access to Chicago.)

I-65: Instead of heading to Mobile instead rerouting it through Florida to the Florida Turnpike into Orlando & Miami also as a Bypass for Atlanta Traffic.

I-74: Extend I-74 from Cincinnati to Huntington, WV.

I-85: Reroute I-85 to Mobile, AL.

We also need high speed rail connecting:

All the major cities in Texas and the Gulf Coast, Florida, Chicago to the rest of the Midwest, California, and the I-85 Corridor.

I think there are better ways to spend that kind of money.

You mean like fix the interstate highways we already have? Some of them are atrocious.

And while we're at it, let's change I-99 to I-somethingmorelogical, since it's out of sequence.

If they were to build what you talk about here, it would save 53 miles from the route that's already in place. That hardly able to justify the Billions it would take to see scenic Tulsa OK!!!! And if you have a hankering to see Scenic Tulsa OK, you can jump off on I-44, it's only 21.5 miles difference than using the interstate you suggested built. Still don't see it ever happening.

Now I use to drive the Houston to Denver route, twice a month for a couple of years. There could be some improvement there. It's about 147 mile further going through Salina KS than through Raton, but it's two and a half hours quicker. If 287 didn't have so many slowdowns on it and could take it non-stop to Limon Co, that would be huge, but there are way too many small town slowdowns to make that efficient, but it's okay to break up the drive repetition. If you can manage to hookup with a couple of cattle trucks cutting through that way, you can hall the mail, but they are usually in the middle of the night and under the radar, strolling in three digits.

There really isn't enough traffic to warrant an Interstate between Dallas and Denver anyways, unless Lubbock or Amarillo goes through a huge growth spurt.

Anyways Houstonian, I think extending I-68 from West Virginia to Cincinnati is another cool idea, but I am not sure that it is needed since Columbus isn't too far away from Cincinnati.

• The title was changed to New Or Extended Interstate Highways

Archived