The Latest Rehab On The Market In Eastwood

The Garland Co's latest rehab across the street from me is now on the market. Just noticed the Greenwood King sign out in the yard--interesting because the last few were all private sales.

My, how the prices are going up. We watched the whole thing get re-done, and the guys who re-created the period woodwork did a really nice job. This place was called the bait camp. The house sat backwards on the lot. It was cool watching the Cherry Demo guys turn the house. The lot is huge. It gives me lot envy.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

That's a great-looking house!

Wonder what the status is for the old grocery store that Garland Co. was rehabbing into a residence? It was a work-in-progress on one of the Eastwood Home Tours and supposedly was already sold. I think it's on McKinney.

sure doesn't look like anything is being done. i saw a couple of broken windows upstairs.

That's a great-looking house!

Wonder what the status is for the old grocery store that Garland Co. was rehabbing into a residence? It was a work-in-progress on one of the Eastwood Home Tours and supposedly was already sold. I think it's on McKinney.

I recall the asking price being something like $400k, and the market for a buyer wanting such a place to be pretty small. The idea of a converted grocery store is fantastic, but the surrounding area is still sort of rough for a home of that price.

I hope the Walker Street home sells, as it is really beautiful. I look forward to seeing what happens with the other Walker house (the stucco one a block up). That one will be a stunner I think.

I hope the Walker Street home sells, as it is really beautiful. I look forward to seeing what happens with the other Walker house (the stucco one a block up). That one will be a stunner I think.

Yea, the stucco one is very cool. It looks like it has a long way to go.

It was neat watching them take a shell with no real architectural detail, and build it up from scratch (the facade and porch, the columns inside). Interesting tidbit, there is an old well in the yard. The stone surround is still there and everything.

Looks like you can get a peek at what became the front of the house in this shot:

hr1926019-12.jpg

A 15 month renovation ain't no joke. I'm gonna go take a look at it. I'll report my findings :)

flipper

How can anyone not like these beautiful old homes?! :P

Just remove that huge tree and plant some color ie; oleander and its good to go!

This is a perfect example of restoring to as close to original as possible. At least on the exterior. If I could buy one of these and move to my property nearby I would.

By the way the one pictured at beginning is fantastic!

The Garland Co's latest rehab across the street from me is now on the market. Just noticed the Greenwood King sign out in the yard--interesting because the last few were all private sales.

My, how the prices are going up. We watched the whole thing get re-done, and the guys who re-created the period woodwork did a really nice job. This place was called the bait camp. The house sat backwards on the lot. It was cool watching the Cherry Demo guys turn the house. The lot is huge. It gives me lot envy.

I drove by the other day just to take a glimpse...they really did a good job. Nice! Vertigo, I was under the impression that you lived in Sunnylan(d). :wacko:

Does anyone know why was this house was facing backwards? Was it moved from another location? Did it originally face Rusk, owners sold part of the lot, the house was moved back towards Walker, and someone built another house in front of it?

I'll ask Bill. I think it was put on the lot backwards, not a lot-split.

• 1 month later...

HUUUUUUGE price cut on this listing. We're down to $260k now. I figured that was coming given the location, square footage, and quality (or lack thereof) of the remodel. The trim work in the living/dining is great. But I think they gave up and just schlepped Home Despot crap in when they got to the kitchen and bathrooms. Too bad. I think they could've gotten the $260k number if they had carried that level of finish all the way through.

Does anyone know why was this house was facing backwards? Was it moved from another location? Did it originally face Rusk, owners sold part of the lot, the house was moved back towards Walker, and someone built another house in front of it?

I had heard that the house was moved from the Heights (or the Heights area) and intentionally put on the lot backwards.

HUUUUUUGE price cut on this listing. We're down to $260k now. I figured that was coming given the location, square footage, and quality (or lack thereof) of the remodel. The trim work in the living/dining is great. But I think they gave up and just schlepped Home Despot crap in when they got to the kitchen and bathrooms. Too bad. I think they could've gotten the $260k number if they had carried that level of finish all the way through.

I believe the price reduction reflects splitting the lots. The house is 260, you do not get the big side lot with it. No way does this guy reduce price that much given what his work has gone for in the past year.

Anyway that was the word at the party I just got home from. Owner wasn't there to confirm but should see him tomorrow.

I believe the price reduction reflects splitting the lots. The house is 260, you do not get the big side lot with it. No way does this guy reduce price that much given what his work has gone for in the past year.

Anyway that was the word at the party I just got home from. Owner wasn't there to confirm but should see him tomorrow.

Interesting. The listing hasn't been changed to reflect the fact that the lot square footage has been reduced. $260k and no extra lot? Fat chance of that!

I had heard that the house was moved from the Heights (or the Heights area) and intentionally put on the lot backwards.

I'm Bill England--I restored the home you're wondering about on Walker Street. The house was

moved in (I was told from West U, but I think the house is a little too old to have been in West U)

in 1988. It was intentionally placed backwards on the lot--have no clue as to why it was done that

way. When I purchasd the property, I was faced with the decision to create a stage-set bungalow

facade to the existing house (which, of course, had a strange floorplan) or have the house turned

around on the lot--I chose to turn it around.

Thanks for the kind words. The price that had been on HAR was for the house and the adjoining lot--it is now being split

to just reference the house on its 4800 +/- square foot lot at 259,900 (HAR still has the wrong square footage on the revised

listing) and the adjoining lot will be sold separately. Several potential buyers have not wanted the extra lot--which I find very

difficult to understand, but they just can't get their arms around an empty lot, even though they lose total control as to what happens right next to them

Actually there's very little in the house from Home Depot--and I do resent the way people who have no knowledge of renovations use that as a slur. The kitchen is a custom design that does use KraftMade cabinets, the countertops are Absolute Black granite, the Craftsman vanity in the master bath was a custom ordered item. As anyone who is familiar with my houses knows, I do restorations--I don't do "flips". I buy the crappiest houses on the blocks in Eastwood and restore them so the rest of the block starts to look better, too. There are many homes to be restored to take Eastwood back to its former beauty and I would welcome any other interested neighbors or investors to come in and put your money where your mouth is.

Several potential buyers have not wanted the extra lot--which I find very difficult to understand, but they just can't get their arms around an empty lot, even though they lose total control as to what happens right next to them

I can understand the objection. If you want to sell the lot, you have to go through a lot of hassle and expense relating to replatting, refinancing the home, selling, and closing. And in the mean time, unless you have kids that can enjoy using it (which doesn't exactly fit the Eastwood buyer profile) then it's just something more that you have to maintain and pay taxes on.

Maybe you're already doing this, but one enticement that you might throw out there is that it tends to be harder to get financing on decent terms to buy a lot by itself for investment purposes, and yet that there are investors out there that do just that. The buyer would have the opportunity to bundle it with a mortgage on their primary place of residence and get better terms than they would if they were just land investors.

Good luck, Bill.

Actually there's very little in the house from Home Depot--and I do resent the way people who have no knowledge of renovations use that as a slur. The kitchen is a custom design that does use KraftMade cabinets, the countertops are Absolute Black granite, the Craftsman vanity in the master bath was a custom ordered item.

The cabinet doors look like something that can be had at Home Depot, and are quite jarring when considering the craftsman style of the woodwork in the rest of the house. Why anyone would custom order those cabinet doors to go in a house where all the rest of the woodwork is a Craftsman style, I have no idea. Hello?!?! Shaker style doors! And for the love of all that which is sacred, why do people put in granite countertops and then not use an undermount sink?! It makes it look like you're cutting corners. Is there a tile backsplash in the kitchen? It looks like there isn't. Again...makes it look low end.

The vanity is nice, and so are the hex tiles on the floor.

The fact that there's a window in the shower is a maintenace nighmare...but it is a pretty window. Too bad it'll be rotten in a decade or less. The uni-knob control for the shower and generally stingy use of tile on the bathroom walls gives it a low end feel.

The cabinet doors look like something that can be had at Home Depot, and are quite jarring when considering the craftsman style of the woodwork in the rest of the house. Why anyone would custom order those cabinet doors to go in a house where all the rest of the woodwork is a Craftsman style, I have no idea. Hello?!?! Shaker style doors! And for the love of all that which is sacred, why do people put in granite countertops and then not use an undermount sink?! It makes it look like you're cutting corners. Is there a tile backsplash in the kitchen? It looks like there isn't. Again...makes it look low end.

The vanity is nice, and so are the hex tiles on the floor.

The fact that there's a window in the shower is a maintenace nighmare...but it is a pretty window. Too bad it'll be rotten in a decade or less. The uni-knob control for the shower and generally stingy use of tile on the bathroom walls gives it a low end feel.

Thanks for your inpuit. The kitchen cabinets are done for resale purposes only--one cannot do personal selections in a spec property--I did Shaker-styled cabinets in one house and absolutely everyone who looked at the house hated the look. They wanted something more versatile. I personally am not crazy about granite countertops--but that's what people want. I personally don't like undermount sinks and have only had one buyer who wanted an undermount--so that's again a personal issue. The backsplash is being left up to the buyer--My preference is subway tile--I hate when people put tumbled stone backsplashes in these houses. The window in the guest bath will be covered with a sealed piece of glass--again waiting for a buyer to customize that. The single-lever shower control is my personal choice--there is tub to ceiling subway tile (expensive, by the way) so I'm not sure what you mean by stingy use. If you mean tiling all the walls with subway tile--well let's just go to a Shell service station bathroom then--I hate the sterility of it. As you can see, these are all personal issues. I do have a question--and I'm asking this for no reason other than just to ask: have you ever restored a house to sell? You quickly learn that your personal tastes don't always translate in what buyers like. They want a nice, fresh blank canvas that they can personalize themselves.

The house was moved in (I was told from West U, but I think the house is a little too old to have been in West U)

in 1988. It was intentionally placed backwards on the lot--have no clue as to why it was done that

way.

Thanks for solving the mystery. The house could very well be from West U. The earliest houses in West U date from the 1910s & 1920s, and many of these houses were in the Craftsman and Prairie bungalow styles (similar in appearance to many Heights bungalows). Unfortunately, most have been demolished, but there are a few remaining examples in the first section developed (SE corner close to the Kirby/Bellaire Blvd intersection.)

House looks great, by the way.

I'm Bill England--I restored the home you're wondering about on Walker Street. The house was

moved in (I was told from West U, but I think the house is a little too old to have been in West U)

way. When I purchasd the property, I was faced with the decision to create a stage-set bungalow

facade to the existing house (which, of course, had a strange floorplan) or have the house turned

around on the lot--I chose to turn it around.

Thanks for the kind words. The price that had been on HAR was for the house and the adjoining lot--it is now being split

to just reference the house on its 4800 +/- square foot lot at 259,900 (HAR still has the wrong square footage on the revised

listing) and the adjoining lot will be sold separately. Several potential buyers have not wanted the extra lot--which I find very

difficult to understand, but they just can't get their arms around an empty lot, even though they lose total control as to what happens right next to them

Bill, are you they only individial/company that restores home in Eastwood? I think it's great how Eastwood it's slowly returning to its former glory...(I wasn't around in the early 1900's, but I can just imagine how it looked) and love the Craftsman look. :rolleyes:

Then why is there a bunch of craftsman style woodwork in the living/dining room, and why did you put in a craftsman style vanity?

I hate to be this way, but it's my restoration and I do whatever I'm in the mood to do--that's a luxury that I have. I answered your question, now, please answer my original question: have you ever restored or renovated a house to put on the market for re-sale?

• The title was changed to The Latest Rehab On The Market In Eastwood

Archived