AppleTree to change name and format

IronTiger

From KBTX...

Locally Owned Grocery Store Changes Hands Save Email Print

Posted: 5:01 PM Oct 16, 2008

Its new ownership and a new name for a local business, but the new owner says all of the employees will keep their jobs.

The Appletree Market in Bryan, at 29th Street and Briarcrest Drive changed hands earlier this month. Next year, it will change names.

New owner Jim Lewis says the store will become "Village Foods", and will carry more natural and organic food options.

The Appletree on highway 21, will not change ownership.

Lewis has owned the Briarcrest Drive building the Appletree operated out of for more than a decade.

He said taking over the business was beneficial to both parties.

From KBTX...

Locally Owned Grocery Store Changes Hands Save Email Print

Posted: 5:01 PM Oct 16, 2008

Its new ownership and a new name for a local business, but the new owner says all of the employees will keep their jobs.

The Appletree Market in Bryan, at 29th Street and Briarcrest Drive changed hands earlier this month. Next year, it will change names.

New owner Jim Lewis says the store will become "Village Foods", and will carry more natural and organic food options.

The Appletree on highway 21, will not change ownership.

Lewis has owned the Briarcrest Drive building the Appletree operated out of for more than a decade.

He said taking over the business was beneficial to both parties.

life is tough

Appletree closed all the Houston stores years ago, then cut a local one in about 2004 or 2005 that sat vacant a few years before the plaza was redeveloped. Apparently, there's an AppleTree on SH-21 that is STILL GOING!

The AppleTree on Briarcrest is still open and will remain open through the name change next year.

Appletree closed all the Houston stores years ago, then cut a local one in about 2004 or 2005 that sat vacant a few years before the plaza was redeveloped. Apparently, there's an AppleTree on SH-21 that is STILL GOING!

We still have Appletrees in Houston? Where have I been? :blink: I thougth they were just another vestige of my youth like Lewis & Coker or Continental Finer Foods.

We still have Appletrees in Houston? Where have I been? :blink: I thougth they were just another vestige of my youth like Lewis & Coker or Continental Finer Foods.

You don't. The reference to SH-21 refers to in Brazos County. Sorry about the confusion.

• 4 months later...

Village Foods Celebrates Grand Opening

KBTX.com

Reporter: Meredith Stancik

"What we are trying to do with Village Foods is to give people an opportunity to purchase the normal items that you have always purchased in this store, but we want to make sure that those items are still here and you walk out feeling that this is your store," Jim Lewis, owner of Village Foods said.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived