Is Dubai's bubble about to burst?

I don't feel any real issues. I tell you I have never seen a purse snatched, or any of the normal mischief you see in any big city. The shops are still open, places to eat, The Mall of the Emirates is always jumping. I just much prefer Old Town, that and down at the Creek. Dubai Creek is a lot like Kemah, except more of it.

08152008090.jpg

Dubai Creek

Public Transportation runs regularly and is heavily used.

Image010.jpg

iPhone shot on the bus.

The real partying goes on down in the Marina District, Yachts everywhere the night life is different down that way, more Westernised.

DSCN2841.jpg

Dubai Marina from the Sheraton observation deck.

To answer your original question, safety is not an issue with my view. Twenty years ago it was different, now days not even close. The Saudi based logic they go by, doesn't tolerate any BS. I am sure the two brits can testify to that. There is definate cultural seperation, between the hard core East and the Westerners. But that could be said in Chicago as well.

Night's are better because the heat and hunidity is down, that's the best thing.

7e17.jpg

Boat Taxi ride on the Creek

9212.jpg

5d9b.jpg

5946.jpg

9420.jpg

The Taxi Docks

f4fd.jpg

Market Street in Old Town

Also found I had the Steady Shot disabled and the exposure setting on delay. Nut loose behind the Sony logo.

When I was up on the Observation Deck I was trying to do one of those cool shots where all the tail lights stream like laser beams, like Jax is always doing. They didn't turn out like I wanted. My wife's the photog not me, should have brought her.

I had to do some digging through emails and found this. I friend of mine sent it to me a couple of years back. Pretty wild.

dubai-3.jpg

And it's 4 AM I'm going to lay down Later.........

_MG_3282.jpg

Back on the streets

Shoe_repair.jpg

This guy is a street cobbler (shoe repairer)

Downtown2.jpg

More shops, you can pickup a lot of cool stuf cheap here.

Dubai087.jpg

Speaking of cool, this fellow here definately fits the bill.....

Gold-Shops.jpg

Folks looking for bling, this would be your heaven, Gold shops every 20 yards....

d1cd.jpg

Bling alley my wife and girls love it here.

Pretty even spread, perhaps more locals. They have a Muslim Halal menu. Muslim's are some chicken eating fools, as long as they're processed properly. And all fish and shellfish are considered Halal by the Sunni. Shia very on that a little, they won't eat catfish or any fish without scales, but the shellfish are Halal.

With the price of oil plummeting over 50%, and Dubai being built overwhelminlgy on borrowed money, I wonder if there will be a Dubai worth visiting in the not too distant future. And, though the editor noted that 5.1 million tourists visited Dubai last year, it will be interesting to see what those numbers are for 2008, and more importantly, 2009. It is also worth noting that this figure is 1 million visitors less than Galveston gets in an average year.

:lol: Red if you only really knew! Sorry to hear you got caught in the short bounce. By the time I landed at JKF it was too late to warn off you L/O. They really hyped that futures freeze to the hilt. problem was there was just as many buyers as sellers and the plunge was short and short-lived. If you can get back in your XON with in next week in good shape, do so, it will be a long wait for the next dip. The valves are already closing.

Oh yeah Wong you wouldn't have liked the courses a few years ago. They weren't putting greens, they were browns. Oil coated sands, it was some nasty stuff to play on. You had to use fluorescent balls to keep up with them. Ugly stuff.

:lol: Red if you only really knew! Sorry to hear you got caught in the short bounce. By the time I landed at JKF it was too late to warn off you L/O. They really hyped that futures freeze to the hilt. problem was there was just as many buyers as sellers and the plunge was short and short-lived. If you can get back in your XON with in next week in good shape, do so, it will be a long wait for the next dip. The valves are already closing.

True, but I could have picked up a few extra shares even on the quick bounce. I just wanted more. But, like I said in the other thread, I have money to play with now. It won't be hard to wait for XOM to drop below 68 (my selling price). In fact, it spent most of the day below that price. The pundits overhyped the futures limit down in hopes of establishing the market's floor quicker. But, investors have just enough intelligence to be dangerous. They want to believe that this is just a little recession, and that the irrational exuberance will soon return. I realize that this will last longer and be deeper than most think. If I can accumulate a few more shares in a down market, my overall loss will be diluted, and my rebound will be better. If not, it won't kill me. I'm not retiring anytime soon.

Archived