Help needed -which place for anniversary dinner

Hello all - My dh and I have an anniversary coming up and want to go out for a nice dinner. With 2 small children and a tight budget, it's a real treat to do so. We have decided to convert some of our AMEX rewards point for a dining voucher so we can enjoy ourselves w/o worry of cost. We'd like a nice dinner out at a place that has a great steak, nice atmosphere, and where we can hear each other talk. My favorite steak place is Pappa Bros Steakhouse for a great, romantic dinner (we were in a back room, quiet both), but it's not a choice. I have not eaten at any of the following places, so I'm not sure which to pick. If you read reviews, it's a mixed bag at most paces - some LOVE it, some don't.

Here are my choices from AMEX:

Smith & Wollensky

Capital Grille

Morton's

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse - do we even have one of these?

Ruth Chris

So, which would you pick and why? If there are multiple locations, is one better than the other? I really appreciate your help!

You can try the cajun ribeye @ Smith & Wo., it is excellent.

If you want something quiet and intimate for you and your fam, try Fuad's on Westheimer & Greenridge. NO menu, order what you want. Tad pricey, but well worth it. No more expensive than a good steakhouse, and the food is better.

^I don't think Pappas or Fuad's are on the AMEX rewards.

We do have Fleming's here, near W Alabama and Kirby.

I remember hearing good things about Morton's - I would choose the downtown location instead of the Galleria.

Flemming's would be my choice.. Ruth Chris in Houston needs some sort of renovation.. seems like it was nice back in the 80's.. but now.. not as much.. The steak I had there a few months ago was.. "..."

I've been wanting to try Morton's..

I would second Morton's DT. I had their signature Chicago style ribeye the last time I was there and it was the best steak I have ever had (including trips to Ruths, Pappas, Vic and Anthony's, Fleming's and Shula's). I can't say too much about their sides, they were okay, but Flemings was better in that dept. But let's be honest, you go to the steakhouse for the meat. I can also say that the lighting and round booths were very nice for an anniversary dinner at the DT location.

Archived