Pulcinella Closing In Katy?

keb42906

Does anyone know what is going on with Pulcinella? For several weeks after Ike they had a "Temp Closed" sign on the door. Now, there's no sign and their phones are disconnected. Thanks!

Never heard of it, and I live in Katy.

When I saw your topic I thought maybe it was some new disease discovered in the wake of hurricane Ike.

Cykat

Never heard of it, and I live in Katy.

When I saw your topic I thought maybe it was some new disease discovered in the wake of hurricane Ike.

Cykat

Located at the corner of the Grand Lakes subdivision on S. Fry and 99 - they have a very small space with limited seating. They have / had very good food and a friendly staff. I ate there a few times and loved everything I had. Their pizza was fantastic. I hope they are still kicking, but if not, I will be sad to see it go.

It's my understanding they have closed up shop...they were making it, but then when Ike came through it really crippled the cash flow...loved their pizza...too bad for them...

Probably tied to opening a second location and the credit crunch. That's a shame. That was my favorite restaurant in the area.

• 3 months later...
Yesterday I noticed an "Azzarelli's" sign in front of Pulcinella. I guess they are re-opening in an even worse location (and much smaller facility). There is also a "BYOB" sign. Interesting.

I'm trying to figure out how that could possibly make good business sense. :huh:

I'm trying to figure out how that could possibly make good business sense. :huh:

I would assume the rent is exponentially cheaper not to mention utilities. I also think the reason it's BYOB is there may be a problem moving the liquor license or at the least getting it moved quickly. I am by no means an expert on Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission but I think there may be an issue with them getting locked out of their old establishment. TABC may be reluctant to move it because of that. I personally really liked Azzarelli's food and I'd try the new location. This may be a smart move for them because everytime I went in there they could have easily accomodated the number of patrons, at that time, in a space the size of Pulcinella.

I also noticed a sign in front of the old Pulcinella location. All it said was something about a new Itallian place coming soon and I did see the BYOB part. I wonder if Azarelli's has made everything right with their last location - meaning I wonder if they have paid everything they owed to the landlords or if they are just hoping to a new location. I bet the Pulcinella location has all of the tables and equipment still sitting in there. The TABC permit takes time to get - maybe they don't want to delay opening the restaruant just to wait for that permit. Either way something seems shady about this entire deal.

You should feel that way. Anytime a business that at one point had at least two locations in operation with a third getting close to opening gets locked out of all three, that just screams SHADY to me. I think it is safe to assume he has not retired his debt to any of those locations as of yet and if he has not paid all his taxes to TABC, they will not grant a license move until all past due taxes are paid. You don't jack with TABC (State of Texas), they will find a way to get it out of you. If in fact he is trying to re-fire the concept, that would be the most logical place to try and do it so long as the equipment is in place. I imagine he will use the proceeds from this location to fund the concept on I-10 if he was smart. But then again, to lose so many locations at one time...well that's not smart. Good luck with him and as good as his food may or may not have been, I will not eat there because of the stated facts above. I don't want to fund anyone that may not be doing business on the up and up, there are too many other options for food in the area. You all can do what you will.

You should feel that way. Anytime a business that at one point had at least two locations in operation with a third getting close to opening gets locked out of all three, that just screams SHADY to me. I think it is safe to assume he has not retired his debt to any of those locations as of yet and if he has not paid all his taxes to TABC, they will not grant a license move until all past due taxes are paid. You don't jack with TABC (State of Texas), they will find a way to get it out of you. If in fact he is trying to re-fire the concept, that would be the most logical place to try and do it so long as the equipment is in place. I imagine he will use the proceeds from this location to fund the concept on I-10 if he was smart. But then again, to lose so many locations at one time...well that's not smart. Good luck with him and as good as his food may or may not have been, I will not eat there because of the stated facts above. I don't want to fund anyone that may not be doing business on the up and up, there are too many other options for food in the area. You all can do what you will.

It should probably be noted that no facts were stated in your post, with the exception that TABC does require taxes to be current. However, there is no evidence that this applies to the restaurant in question.

It should probably be noted that no facts were stated in your post, with the exception that TABC does require taxes to be current. However, there is no evidence that this applies to the restaurant in question.

Fair statement - we are having a discussion based on a lot of hear-say and assumptions (or at least I am). I didn't realize that there were other locations that had been locked out - I was only aware of the one in Villago. What is the status with the Katy Freeway location?

It seems like if all of these things said above were true that the owner would open the Pulcenilla (sp?) location under a different name other than Azarellis!

Fair statement - we are having a discussion based on a lot of hear-say and assumptions (or at least I am). I didn't realize that there were other locations that had been locked out - I was only aware of the one in Villago. What is the status with the Katy Freeway location?

It seems like if all of these things said above were true that the owner would open the Pulcenilla (sp?) location under a different name other than Azarellis!

According to the chronicle, Azarellis is opening up two locations, so I'm assuming the location where Pulcenilla used to be is the one that you all are discussing ( the other one being on I-10 and Barker-Cypress), In the article they also mention how Villagio is trying to get thier act together this year, because it has been so terribly slow for them, Only time will tell!

Villagio experiences a tough year

Developer to spur activity by getting creative, focusing on the community

By KAREN HASTINGS CHRONICLE CORRESPONDENT

Jan. 26, 2009, 5:06PM

/**/empty.gif 1 2 3 4 260xStory.jpg

Suzanne Rehak For the Chronicle

The Angel & the Ox Irish Pub and Restaurant opened Jan. 15 at 22758 Westheimer Parkway, Suite 270.

Proprietors of Katy’s newest Irish pub — The Angel & the Ox — are hoping patrons heed the advice posted over their bar to “Sit Long, Talk Much, Laugh Often.”

Like other tenants of the Villagio Town Center at Peek Road and Westheimer Parkway, Brett and Amy Scholz might add, “and spend more.”

It’s been a rough year for the Villagio, a Tuscan-themed “boutique lifestyle center” developed by Woodlands-based Marcel Inc. Prior to its 2007 opening, the center boasted more than 30 restaurants, shops and other businesses eager to move in.

A year later, tenants number around half that, some original tenants have left, and vacant, second-level windows feature “For Lease” signs. Christmas decorations are still visible inside Azzarelli’s restaurant, where a Dec. 22 posted notice says locks were changed due to unpaid rent.

A Marcel spokeswoman says the brick patio and bubbling fountain at Villagio’s heart is still a lovely, quiet spot for lunch or a coffee break — a little too quiet.

“It’s just been a slow start — a very slow start,” said Victoria Roubal, marketing director for Marcel. “This economy has definitely shook up a lot of people. We’ve got to get creative and focus on the community.”

New resolutions come with the new year, and tenants say the management has finally started marketing for the center’s success. Some original tenants — like the Bookworm Shop — still swear by the location. Newer tenants, like Spalato’s Gelateria, also are bringing in more traffic.”

A Dumpster outside the Lord Byron’s Cigar Bar — shuttered last year for unpaid rent — signals another new owner willing to give it a go.

Monthly tenant meetings to coordinate public events, weekly bands in the courtyard, Guitar Hero contests, and planned events with the Katy school district are aimed to increase Villagio’s profile.

An art show and wine-tasting in January introduced the center’s community room, which is free to community nonprofits for charity events, fundraisers and meetings.

“I’m very optimistic about this because we’re not solely retail-based. Our center has a lot of restaurants,” said Roubal. “No matter how bad the economy gets, we do go to eat and have family time. You’ve got the church across the way, the YMCA across the street. I envision a family bicycling over and enjoying an afternoon and into the evening.”

Tenants include a book shop, a women’s clothier, a gourmet bakery, and a salon and spa. Restaurants include Baja-Mex, a sports grill, a sushi eatery and an Italian ice cream shop.

Roubal said she is talking to another Italian restaurant to replace Azzarelli’s, which recently announced new South Fry and Interstate 10 locations.

A designer sneaker store, tanning salon and personal trainer, along with an eye-care shop, dentist and title company, round out tenants.

“I’m thrilled with the location,” said Sandi Petty, who “gave birth” to the Bookworm Shop in November 2007. “We were the first lease to be signed for the center. I like that it’s in the middle of a subdivision. People can ride their bikes or walk over. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else in Katy.”

On Jan. 15, patrons downed imported Irish beer and sang choruses of “The Black Velvet Band” as the Scholzes launched their dream: The Angel & The Ox Irish Pub and Restaurant. The name comes from the mascots of their respective sorority and fraternity in college, where they first met.

“We have a niche,” said Amy Scholz. “You can’t go anywhere else in Katy, west of Beltway 8, and find the atmosphere we’re providing and the type of food we’re providing.”

Yesterday I noticed an "Azzarelli's" sign in front of Pulcinella. I guess they are re-opening in an even worse location (and much smaller facility). There is also a "BYOB" sign. Interesting.

I received a b4-u-eat.com newsletter and here is its mention of this...

I

n the Restaurant Musical Chairs Department:

Frank Triola opened Azzarelli's Cafe in Katy yesterday, in the former location of Pulcinella's. This casual, 40-seat, kid friendly, BYOB restaurant has a wood burning pizza oven. The day we visited, Frank told us about his plans for a new Azzarelli's on the Katy Fwy near Barker-Cypress. Have you seen his huge sign -- it's like a billboard! Anyway, that opening has been delayed, first by Ike and now the city. Frank assures us it will be open in 3-4 months.

I also checked out the website and had a good chuckle...

"Come to our Opening Tuesday nigth! BYOB! New Less casaul dining experience with the same great taste but better for tou pocket book."

I received a b4-u-eat.com newsletter and here is its mention of this...

I

I also checked out the website and had a good chuckle...

"Come to our Opening Tuesday nigth! BYOB! New Less casaul dining experience with the same great taste but better for tou pocket book." Note those are not my typos. Additionally, I think they meant "More casual"

as for the BYOB, apparently the old location on Memorial was also BYOB. Maybe he decided carrying the liquor himself wasn't that profitable.

How Funny!!!!!

wereback.jpg

• The title was changed to Pulcinella Closing In Katy?

Archived