How tall is too tall? Plans for 1.5 mile high skyscraper detailed

Dubai is going to be an amazingly extravagant wasteland in 30 years. Instead of all this excess they should be doing 2 things: 1) using the money to come up with the next way they're going to bring all that business when the oil dries up or alternative energy takes hold, and 2) finding a way to reverse global warming, because a few more degrees and no one will want to be near that place.

It needs something. You can't build a tourist economy without a draw. Las Vegas and Macau have gambling. Orlando has Disney World. China has history and culture. Dubai has.... none of those things. But maybe it'll be like New York where it achieves a certain critical mass and becomes a draw on its own.

It needs something. You can't build a tourist economy without a draw. Las Vegas and Macau have gambling. Orlando has Disney World. China has history and culture. Dubai has.... none of those things. But maybe it'll be like New York where it achieves a certain critical mass and becomes a draw on its own.

But, if New York lost its core industry, banking and Wall Street, would its tourist draw be enough to sustain it? My gut says no. Similarly, if Dubai loses oil, will extravagance and excess be sufficient tourist draws to keep these towers filled? I'm thinking no there as well.

But, if New York lost its core industry, banking and Wall Street, would its tourist draw be enough to sustain it? My gut says no.

You'd have an economy based on theater, fashion and pastrami. It would survive in faded glory; a Yankee New Orleans.

Archived