The Mafia

Vertigo58

The mob's long been in charge there. The garbage situation has been going on for a couple of years now.

Essentially, the mob control the waste hauling business. It makes big bucks from companies, hotels, etc... that can pay to make their trash "disappear" into illegal landfills. Every time the city tries to open a legal landfill it gets blocked by some corrupt politician or other means so that the people have no choice but to use the mob haulers to move their garbage.

At least that was the story a couple of years ago when I first heard it. I've heard a couple of updates since then, but little has changed.

The mob's long been in charge there. The garbage situation has been going on for a couple of years now.

Essentially, the mob control the waste hauling business. It makes big bucks from companies, hotels, etc... that can pay to make their trash "disappear" into illegal landfills. Every time the city tries to open a legal landfill it gets blocked by some corrupt politician or other means so that the people have no choice but to use the mob haulers to move their garbage.

At least that was the story a couple of years ago when I first heard it. I've heard a couple of updates since then, but little has changed.

one of the oldest 'family' bidnesses, even here. Talk to the gulf coast old timers in Galveston, Beaumont, Port Arthur, High Island, Lake Charles, it worked the same way. Just not to the same degree.

But you didn't hear it from me. My Uncle Vic is a retired pipefitter, nothing more. :ph34r: Actually Uncle Vic lost the family compound down on Bolivar to Ike. Kinda sad, been in the family since shortly afer they came over. They rebuilt after Audrey and Carla, not so this time.

• 2 weeks later...
There's a new movie out about the Mafia in Naples. The title is Gomorrah - a play on Camorra. I hope to see it this weekend.

Are you serious? I am in line!

On a side note it cracks me up that actors like De Niro and Pesci have been type cast in the stereotypical hood images they portrayed on the silver screen.

I have to speak to people in Brooklyn and Bronx areas all the time at work and I can swear I am talking to John Gotti or his Goomba pals. :mellow::) Malavitoso accozzaglia!

Archived