Japanese attack on Gulf Coast

The book The Second Attack on Pearl Harbor: Operation K And Other Japanese Attempts to Bomb America in World War II by Steve Horn mentions Japanese plans to bomb Texas oil fields (as well as East Coast cities) using long-range flying boats during WW II. Apparently there were at least discussions between the Japanese and the Germans to use U-boats to refuel the Emily flying boats in the Gulf of Mexico and along the Atlantic. Later, the Japanese planned to use their own submarines to refuel the seaplanes.

Imagine if the Japanese had actually tried to bomb refineries around Houston. What anti-aircraft defenses existed in the area?

I remember reading about this once years ago. It was proven that some enemy submarine had been either spotted or aprehended near here once. :ph34r:

See topics on Air Raids/Black-outs and Drill's in downtown Houston in the 40's. Mom said she recalls them darkening the buildings on ocassion around these times.

I hope others here can be more helpful. Good luck!

I remember reading about this once years ago. It was proven that some enemy submarine had been either spotted or aprehended near here once. :ph34r:

See topics on Air Raids/Black-outs and Drill's in downtown Houston in the 40's. Mom said she recalls them darkening the buildings on ocassion around these times.

I hope others here can be more helpful. Good luck!

There's already a study on German U-boat activity in the Gulf (there was a lot)

Torpedoes in the Gulf

There are unsubstantiated but persistent rumors that the Germans got one of their big multi-engined bomber prototypes close enough to New York City to take aerial photos. But without a nuke, it wasn't worth the Reichmarks to pursue the effort.

I always found it interesting that just a couple decades ago we were at war with Nations like Japan and Germany, and now they are some of our best friends. Heck our best friend (nation-wise) is Great Britain... we fought a little war with them back in the day, also. ha ha

Well, where the San Luis hotel stands, that used to be an Army Bunker and fort I believe. Bolivar Pass was patrolled heavily, hence SeaWolf Park.

There was also a military bunker or "lookout point" on one end (south end?) of Boliver peninsula.