Post Ike Traffic

lockmat

Houston used to be a classic ring city, but the gap is filling in quickly.

More like the ring is expanding outwards, with the donut hole being filled in.

I agree that even the inner loop is quasi-suburban in nature. It feels more suburban than, of all places, Los Angeles. Not that I mind, just that people shouldn't refer to the inner loop like it's Chicago.

Memebag:

You've got nothing, just like the editor implies.

I've read (skimmed, to be honest) the book you "hang your hat on". I change none of my claims.

Your retort is/was useless (as pointed out) given the nature of this forum.

Maybe some of your meds are combining in a way that turns you, um, peculiar ?

Your attack on my comment "I'm sorry to be unsympathetic" underscores my speculation about med problems: "If you were, then you wouldn't have posted this". Huh? What? Let me break it down for you-slowly. I am not sympathetic. That's what I said. I am sorry (really) that I am not. The point you missed - wildly - is that I am urging people to move in closer to lessen pollution, help avoid the energy gun to head, and lead a life not dominated by planning commutes, among other things. Sorry that sailed over your pointed head.

Actually the thesis within relates to INFILL and the unintended benefit of creating so much!

I've read a dozen or more books about suburban sprawl and/or urban renewal. Even the authors are equivocal about their tentative conclusions. It is a bit sad that you are hanging your hat on one book. I guess that beats reading widely and developing an informed opinion. My informed opinion is that Houston is almost unique in its growth pattern sans formal zoning, few geographical limits and rapid growth.

That's why your buddy's book is close to useless in this discussion...and why your tart little (very little) sniping invites disdain.

Next time refute, challenge, opine - whatever you can manage...and try not to get in over your head.

Memebag:

You've got nothing, just like the editor implies.

I've read (skimmed, to be honest) the book you "hang your hat on". I change none of my claims.

Your retort is/was useless (as pointed out) given the nature of this forum.

Maybe some of your meds are combining in a way that turns you, um, peculiar ?

Your attack on my comment "I'm sorry to be unsympathetic" underscores my speculation about med problems: "If you were, then you wouldn't have posted this". Huh? What? Let me break it down for you-slowly. I am not sympathetic. That's what I said. I am sorry (really) that I am not. The point you missed - wildly - is that I am urging people to move in closer to lessen pollution, help avoid the energy gun to head, and lead a life not dominated by planning commutes, among other things. Sorry that sailed over your pointed head.

Actually the thesis within relates to INFILL and the unintended benefit of creating so much!

I've read a dozen or more books about suburban sprawl and/or urban renewal. Even the authors are equivocal about their tentative conclusions. It is a bit sad that you are hanging your hat on one book. I guess that beats reading widely and developing an informed opinion. My informed opinion is that Houston is almost unique in its growth pattern sans formal zoning, few geographical limits and rapid growth.

That's why your buddy's book is close to useless in this discussion...and why your tart little (very little) sniping invites disdain.

Next time refute, challenge, opine - whatever you can manage...and try not to get in over your head.

Personal attacks on other members doesn't belong on HAIF.

Let's keep it civil please.

Some of the traffic would be people coming in from out of town to help. Our church is home to a group of people called Hilltop Rescue. They come and live in the church building, and go help wherever they are needed. I have seen several large groups on the news that are helping as well. We also have roofers, insurance adjusters, etc. in town now -FEMA, SBA agents, etc. I am sure that this isn't helping things.

Did they give any reason? Is it dislocated coastal dwellers?

I heard it from a guy on sports radio. I emailed him and he said he heard it on the traffic report on Channel 11 yesterday. But he didn't give a reason.

Archived