Kitchen Gas In Houston

aliyaali5

I am planning to move to Houston (from Boston). Can anybody tell me which of the following (Best) school districts have kitchen gas? My wife hates electric stoves.

1. Bellaire

2. Memorial (Spring Branch ISD)

3. Klein

4. Spring

5. Cy Fair

6. Katy

7. Friendswood

8. Ft Bend

9. Conroe

10. Clear Creek

11. Kingwood.

Regards, Mudassir Ali.

It is really hard to generalize like that! Generally older (to the 50's) homes will always have gas, 60's-80's are probably electric, and 90's + are back to gas. This is assuming no major remodels that convert from one to the other depending on the owner's whims. High end homes are usually gas because they have professional appliances.

I would pick *where* you want to live and then only seek out homes in the area that are gas (easy to tell as that is a listed field on HAR.com). The housing market here isn't crazy like it is in Boston, so chances are you will find what you want without a lot of effort.

Actually Travelguy, I know where he's coming from, much of the urban northeast doesn't even have access to gas. The actual answer is don't worry about it, urban and suburban Houston has nearly 100% access to natural gas. You will have a much harder time finding an area that doesn't have it. What you won't find here, however, is heating oil or coal delivery. For the most part, it's just a question of whether the previous owner had gas or electric appliances.

On the list you give, the only place you might have difficulty is out in the rural parts of Ft Bend county. There, you might find places without piped-in natural gas, instead you would just set yourself up with propane delivery.

Actually Travelguy, I know where he's coming from, much of the urban northeast doesn't even have access to gas. The actual answer is don't worry about it, urban and suburban Houston has nearly 100% access to natural gas. You will have a much harder time finding an area that doesn't have it. What you won't find here, however,  is heating oil or coal delivery. For the most part, it's just a question of whether the previous owner had gas or electric appliances.

On the list you give, the only place you might have difficulty is out in the rural parts of Ft Bend county. There, you might find places without piped-in natural gas, instead you would just set yourself up with propane delivery.

In some unincorporated areas of Harris County there is no gas. I know a few people who live in Friendswood who don't have access to gas either. Just ask your realtor if you find something that looks interesting enough to purchase.

Guest danax

Spring is a generic term for a lot of different areas but I believe the section between the 45 and 59 freeways is all electric. Most of the houses are from the 70s and that might be why.

Back in the 50s-60s, many subdivisions were built (with the encouragement of Houston Lighting and Power) as "all-electric" - no gas mains were installed. There was still the belief at that time that nuclear power would produce electricity so cheaply that gas would become obsolete. Alas.

All-electric homes are cheaper to construct, since the expense of installing gas lines is avoided. In general, electricity is quite a lot more expensive than gas for heating, hot water and cooking. However, our mild winters allow us to use electric heating (which would be astronomical in the Northeast).

If someone is intent on having a gas stove (and I wouldn't blame her), perhaps a propane/butane stove could be retrofitted. Give Hank Hill a call!