Settler's Corner Community In The Woodlands

snickstx

Been looking for new digs and I think Settler's Corner is what I need. I'm tired of dealing with a yard, especially after last week. I read that it was the 1st housing built at the beginning of TW. They were sold in the high $20's. Anybody know anything else interesting about them?

How the noise coming off Millbend & Grogan's Mill? How the noise inside the neighborhood? I've driven through several times and it's always been really quiet. Is that a park in the middle? Are the townhouses built well? I'm in a dumpy rental in Windsong, I swear the walls are made out of newpaper, and the roof, and the carpet, and the cabinets.....

Been looking for new digs and I think Settler's Corner is what I need. I'm tired of dealing with a yard, especially after last week. I read that it was the 1st housing built at the beginning of TW. They were sold in the high $20's. Anybody know anything else interesting about them?

How the noise coming off Millbend & Grogan's Mill? How the noise inside the neighborhood? I've driven through several times and it's always been really quiet. Is that a park in the middle? Are the townhouses built well? I'm in a dumpy rental in Windsong, I swear the walls are made out of newpaper, and the roof, and the carpet, and the cabinets.....

I looked up in my copy of the book, "The Woodlands: The Inside Story of Creating a Better Hometown" by Roger Galatas. On page 49 it says that The Woodlands' grand opening was on Oct. 19, 1974. On Jan. 1, 1975, the first family moved into a townhome in Settler's Corner, and within days, 10 more townhomes were occupied. So you’re right: Settler's Corner was the first subdivision to be built in The Woodlands. All townhomes there were built in 1975, as far as I have seen. Some single-family homes in the nearby neighborhoods off Red Cedar Circle and Timberwild St. were also finished in 1975.

I can tell you from my research that Settler's Corner is a good choice for a townhome, because of its convenient location across the street from Grogan's Mill Village Shopping Center and possibly walking distance to the Town Center and Mall (it’s 2 miles to Market Street, so it depends on how energetic you are). In the last two years, the highest asking price for previously-sold townhomes here was $140,000 (for the largest unit that has 1954 sq. ft.). But many smaller units without a golf course view are asking in the low-$100s. The highest-priced unit for sale right now is asking $149,900 and has the largest floor plan (1954 sq. ft.) with lots of upgrades. See it at Settler's Corner listing. Others here are asking around $120K.

Some people have very nicely upgraded their townhomes inside, from what I've seen in listing pictures. And many plans have high ceilings for a spacious feeling. But keep in mind that a lot of units here are rentals, and many have only one-car garages, if that matters to you. And their appreciation in general hasn't been huge in the last five years; maybe this year will be different. The best homes to look for are those with a golf course view; they are along the northern and eastern perimeter of this complex.

I don’t know about the build quality; you’ll have to get another HAIF member’s opinion, if you can. Or better, walk through the neighborhood and try to find someone who lives there and ask them how good the soundproofing is. I’d also recommend that when you make an offer, ask the seller to pay for one year of home warranty coverage, and get the townhome inspected before you buy.

The green space in the middle of Settler’s Corner is an open forested common area; I suppose you could call it a park. To see the best aerial views of this complex, go to Microsoft’s Virtual Earth site at: Bird's eye aerial view of Settler's Corner

You can pan, zoom in and rotate the viewpoint to any of the four compass directions; the default is facing north, of course.

Good luck in your home search!

avoid units that back up to grogan's mill/south millbend. sirens, stereos and loud motors are a constant annoyance.

• The title was changed to Settler's Corner Community In The Woodlands

Archived