The American Dream Or Texas Nightmare?

johncoby

lies.jpg

An American Dream turns to a Texas Nightmare

"It should be clear, trusting the homebuilding industry to advocate for your family is like trusting a terrorist to advocate for homeland security."

Audio of this commentary beginning at 15:29 is available at: http://www.kpftx.org/archives/kpftsignal/m..._173002news.MP3

If you, or a family member, become the victim of a shoddy homebuilder, you will quickly learn the biggest investment in your life has the least amount of consumer protection. Thousands of new homes are built each year and according to a Texas Senate report, 12% of all new home construction will have a defect requiring third party intervention.

The process to resolve a defect could be one of the most time consuming and frustrating experiences of your life. And your American Dream turned Texas Nightmare could leave you financially, physically, and mentally bankrupt.

Many victims are shocked to learn the consumer friendly Texas Deceptive Trade Practice Act no longer applies to homebuilders. Instead it has been replaced with a long complicated process created by the homebuilding industry 15 years ago

This process, the Residential Construction Liability Act, or RCLA was the first

As I am looking for a house these days, this information scares me. What suggestions would guys to help catch shoddy construction? My real estate agent recommends hiring an independent inspection team to inspect the house before I move in. I am considering the following builders:

David Powers

David Weekely

Trend Maker

Newmark

Plantation

Do these builders have reasonably good reputation?

Now I know some would say trust no one. But, hey, what choice do I got? I got to start somewhere.

As I am looking for a house these days, this information scares me. What suggestions would guys to help catch shoddy construction? My real estate agent recommends hiring an independent inspection team to inspect the house before I move in. I am considering the following builders:

David Powers

David Weekely

Trend Maker

Newmark

Plantation

Do these builders have reasonably good reputation?

Now I know some would say trust no one. But, hey, what choice do I got? I got to start somewhere.

OK. check out http://www.hadd.com/documents/texasbuyersguide.pdf for a start.

You are right, hire an inspector, but realize that the majority of homes are built just fine, but if you are one of the unlucky ones, you are screwed!!!!

Also read the other documents at www.hadd.com.

Always hire your own independent inspector before you buy any home, new or used. Don't let the slick salespeople at the new homes sales office trick you into believing you can just skip that expense, and use their inspectors. Also, use your own chosen Realtor to represent you in the buying of a home, new or used. By doing this, you give yourself at least two layers of protection in the sale.

I live (when im at home in houston) in a David Weekly home and its great...no problems with foundation or anything like that...although it took about 6 months to build, but that was due mainly to bad weather and such. The other main builder in my neighborhood is Village Builders, they do great work too...so i would approve either one as far as reputation and quality.

Pineda is right. Having and independant realtor and highering a home inspector is worth it.

The realtor gets paid by the builder but will fight with you.

The inspector should have no connections to the builder to ensure and independant review.

Also, just be involved if you are building a home. Go to the site every couple of days and take tons of pictures. If anything looks strange, document it. Basically become a pain in the ass for the builder by constantly wanting updates and faxing and email any issues. This create a paper trail. Also, builder salespersons usually get caught up in trying to keep a good face on they often put their foot in their mouths. I had that experience recently. But I kept tons of pictures and press hard on them. None of there excuses worked. Always remember that if the house is not built up to standard you can back out and get you earnest money. The builder usually doesn't really care if you back out, but he salesperson does because they lose commision and/or can get penalized for losing a customer.

Don't let them ever tell you the way things are. I got to the point where I went by the construction site once a day on the way home for work. I take pictures of even the boxes that appliances and building material come in. Mostly just to have incase anything happens. Most building items have to be installed a certain way or their warranty is void. Then its the builders responsibility, but they'll probably blame the manufacturer. You'll get into a circular argument then. Knowing and research a little bit about house construction can afford you piece of mind.

Also, just something to remember, if you can avoid buying a new construction house where the concrete was poured in the summertime or anytime where the air temperature was above 85 or especially 90 degrees, please do so.

Concrete being poured in cooler weather will always cure better. There are measures to pour concrete in hot weather, but are never enforce in home construction.

Never think you are asking too many questions. It is your house and you should expect the best.

I agree 100% that you need to make a pest of yourself.

I have a very close friend that recently built his own home. He requested that no fiber or composite board be used at all in the construction of his families new home. He was called out of state for a few days just when the siding was going up so he could not make it to the site that week. He came back on the weekend and saw that they were putting up the last of the brick siding. A close examination showed that the boards underneath were composite boards. Of course he complained and in the long run the builder had to strip off all of the recently placed bricks and replace all of the exterior boards and siding laying underneath at his expense. He also found that some short cuts had been done on the interior as well. Those were fixed as also.

Needless to say he kept a very close eye on the builder after that.

Thanks to the republicans and our incompetent, corrupt, inane, and idiotic state leadership, things like this are allowed to happen. Way to go Perry!

Amen Brother!

If you knew what I knew about the builders and the leadership, you would be shocked at the corruption. This is one really screwed up state.

...yes because republicans are the only ones that make any decisions in this state that regard our livelihood...  nice try tho

Hum......The Legislature, dominated by the Repubs, overwhelming passed House bill 730 which created the Texas Residential Construction Commission, dominated by commissioners appointed by Gov Perry, which have ties to the building industy.

And you think the repubs didn't have a thing to do with this?

Bob Perry of Perry Homes donated $7Million over a 3 year period. Including $500,000 to Gov Perry who appointed the senior vice president and corporate counsel of Perry Homes to the Commision.

And what was your point?

Why is it that when a business cooperates with a government entity that it is hailed as corruption.

The quality of life we enjoy today is based on the concept of businesses working with government agencies. It's not perfect, but much better than if government ran everything on their own.

Also, Republicans aren't the only one who play with businesses. Perry, even though a Republican, lobbied hard when Ann Richards was governor for the builders and got what he wanted also.

Hum......The Legislature, dominated by the Repubs, overwhelming passed House bill 730 which created the Texas Residential Construction Commission, dominated by commissioners appointed by Gov Perry, which have ties to the building industy.

And you think the repubs didn't have a thing to do with this?

Bob Perry of Perry Homes donated $7Million over a 3 year period. Including $500,000 to Gov Perry who appointed the senior vice president and corporate counsel of Perry Homes to the Commision.

And what was your point?

my point...was that there are democrats in this state also and that im tired of seeing everything bad blamed on our republican state governor/ment. I never said that republicans didnt have ANYTHING to do with whatever you said i was just saying that im tired of all the finger pointing due to political party lines...thats all

my point...was that there are democrats in this state also and that im tired of seeing everything bad blamed on our republican state governor/ment.  I never said that republicans didnt have ANYTHING to do with whatever you said i was just saying that im tired of all the finger pointing due to political party lines...thats all

The very people who dont like the finger pointing are the last people to try to do anything about it. For those of us who are trying, it is frustrating when our elected officials side with the people with the most money.

Oh, by the way, the bill that created the Commission, is a Democrat. He also owns a lumber company and sells lumber to builders. Imagine that.

I haven't spoken up until now, but this one got my blood boiling. I can't understand how anyone on this forum would make excuses for the Republican scum we have in office today. This is not to say many of the Democrats aren't bad either, but this is an ARCHITECTURE forum. Aren't we supposed to be a thinking, open-minded group of people who are at least a little intelligent? How any thinking person, let alone any person of color, or person with a disability, any woman, any military person, any poor or Middle Class person, etc could be duped into supporting these bafoons.

Architecture is an art, an expression - something modern Repulicans can't bear to think about.

I haven't spoken up until now, but this one got my blood boiling.  I can't understand how anyone on this forum would make excuses for the Republican scum we have in office today.  This is not to say many of the Democrats aren't bad either, but this is an ARCHITECTURE forum. Aren't we supposed to be a thinking, open-minded group of people who are at least a little intelligent? How any thinking person, let alone any person of color, or person with a disability, any woman, any military person, any poor or Middle Class person, etc could be duped into supporting these bafoons.

Architecture is an art, an expression - something modern Repulicans can't bear to think about.

WOW! Tell us how you REALLY feel!

I haven't spoken up until now, but this one got my blood boiling.  I can't understand how anyone on this forum would make excuses for the Republican scum we have in office today.  This is not to say many of the Democrats aren't bad either, but this is an ARCHITECTURE forum. Aren't we supposed to be a thinking, open-minded group of people who are at least a little intelligent? How any thinking person, let alone any person of color, or person with a disability, any woman, any military person, any poor or Middle Class person, etc could be duped into supporting these bafoons.

ROFL. Thanks for showing us the very picture of open mindedness. What a joke!