British Petroleum Texas City Refinery Explosion

pineda

And the sad thing is that I have friends that work there. I am still waiting to hear from some of their families to see if they are okay. I heard from 2 of them and they were in a whole other section of the plant so at least I know they are fine. Now 3 more to go.

• 4 years later...
Record OSHA Fine Against BP Over Texas Refinery Explosion

By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

Published: October 30, 2009

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration will announce the largest fine in its history on Friday, $87 million in penalties against the oil giant BP for failing to correct safety problems identified after a 2005 explosion that killed 15 workers at its Texas City, Tex. refinery, federal officials said Thursday.

The suspected cause of the explosion that killed 15 workers at BP's Texas City, Tex., plant in 2005 was the escape of flammable hydrocarbons that were ignited by the backfire of a truck.

Add to Portfolio

The fine is more than four times the size of any previous OSHA sanction.

The officials, who insisted on anonymity because the fines were not scheduled to be announced until Friday, said the penalty was the result of BP’s failure to comply in hundreds of instances with a 2005 agreement to fix safety hazards at the refinery, the nation’s third-largest.

According to documents obtained by The New York Times, OSHA issued 271 notifications to BP for failing to correct hazards at the Texas City refinery over the four-year period since the explosion. As a result, OSHA, which is part of the Labor Department, is issuing fines of $56.7 million. In addition, OSHA also identified 439 “willful and egregious” violations of industry-accepted safety controls at the refinery. Those violations will lead to $30.7 million in additional fines.

BP said Thursday night that it was disappointed with the OSHA citations.

Link to full article

^ Not to mention the death of 15 people, the injury of 170 workers, damage and shutdowns at the plant, having to settle claims from a $2.1 billion fund, and all the negative publicity. Yep, saving that $150 million to the negligence of the plant and the employees has paid off handsomely.

• The title was changed to British Petroleum Texas City Refinery Explosion

Archived