Talk Like A Pirate Day

Pumapayam

How about a fun "non-Ike" topic.

Sorry Puma, but that pirate-speak reminded me...my parents have photos of the Elissa. Aside from some torn sails, she appears undamaged, still tethered to the pier.

And that's something you won't see on the news. It would instill too much hope--and insufficient levels of panic. They got interviewed by CNN a few days ago but it never aired--they guess it was because they weren't desperate, crippled, financially distressed, or panicked enough.

Sorry Puma, but that pirate-speak reminded me...my parents have photos of the Elissa. Aside from some torn sails, she appears undamaged, still tethered to the pier.

And that's something you won't see on the news. It would instill too much hope--and insufficient levels of panic. They got interviewed by CNN a few days ago but it never aired--they guess it was because they weren't desperate, crippled, financially distressed, or panicked enough.

Wonderful conspiracy theory, but wrong. Just because your parents were interviewed by someone from CNN doesn't mean it was destined for CNN air. CNN runs a video subscription and archive service called NewSource; coupled with Pathfire it's used by about a thousand TV stations and networks around the world as a source of raw material. 99.8% of what's shot by CNN ends up there. About 10% of what CNN shoots ends up on CNN's own air. The reasons are simple: NewSource brings in tons of money, and CNN only has so many hours in a day to air video.

Moreover, unless your parents watched CNN, CNN Headline News, CNN Turk, CNN en Espa

Sorry to burst your "big media is out to get me" theory, but I'm not surprised. Most people find it easier to blame the media than to think.

Arrr, matey, it be not a grand conspiracy to think that the scurvy bilge rats in the media want to show pain and destruction over ships shape ships amd hearty land lubbers. Arrr.

Wonderful conspiracy theory, but wrong. Just because your parents were interviewed by someone from CNN doesn't mean it was destined for CNN air. CNN runs a video subscription and archive service called NewSource; coupled with Pathfire it's used by about a thousand TV stations and networks around the world as a source of raw material. 99.8% of what's shot by CNN ends up there. About 10% of what CNN shoots ends up on CNN's own air. The reasons are simple: NewSource brings in tons of money, and CNN only has so many hours in a day to air video.

Moreover, unless your parents watched CNN, CNN Headline News, CNN Turk, CNN en Espa

Nor have they shown people that rode it out, had plenty of supplies, are just A-OK, waved off rescue helicopters because they didn't need rescue, or that would do the whole thing over again.

This is a simple falsehood, and you should know better than to say things that are untrue. One of the most widely seen Hurricane Ike video clips broadcast around the country was of a Coast Guard helicopter lowering someone down to a deck on a Galveston home surrounded by water right after the storm and the person refusing help. Both CNN and ABC also aired packages interviewing people in Galveston who refused aid. You simply don't know what you're talking about. But I don't blame you because you didn't have power for days, and have spent your time focused on much more important basic life stuff than watching TV. How could you possibly know what people around the world is seeing?

Clearly there is an agenda.

Yes, yours.

This is a simple falsehood, and you should know better than to say things that are untrue. One of the most widely seen Hurricane Ike video clips broadcast around the country was of a Coast Guard helicopter lowering someone down to a deck on a Galveston home surrounded by water right after the storm and the person refusing help. Both CNN and ABC also aired packages interviewing people in Galveston who refused aid. You simply don't know what you're talking about. But I don't blame you because you didn't have power for days, and have spent your time focused on much more important basic life stuff than watching TV. How could you possibly know what people around the world is seeing?

Yes, yours.

Actually, I went to SA last Thursday to stay with my matey, and then to Austin a couple days ago to meet my parents after they left the island to go stay with my grandmother. And they had been pretty much everywhere (except Ball High) that I had seen photos and video of in Galveston. They were amazed with my intimate knowledge of the goings on, which far surpassed theirs. And I only got back into town yesterday afternoon...to find that none of the properties I own that had electricity and cable/telephone/internet went without for more than a few seconds, even during the height of the storm. So you're wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

And ye know what...maybe thar be a bunch of other CNN networks. Maybe me parents were shown on CNN-Turkey. Maybe they stuttered too much--it wouldn't be at all like them--but maybe they did. Argh! I'd still point out that news outlets do have an agenda. They want to scare people. Death, destruction, and the inciting of fear is good for ratings, and that's what they focus on. It is obvious. Argh!

Combine. Take a pic of the broken windows and add cannons sticking out of them. Arrr.

Find an un-copywritten grafitti font and use Illustrator or something like that to rotate it to give a sense of perspective/depth and then spell out "TheHAIF.com" one letter at a time on the plywood sheets.

• 11 months later...

So, this is what happens when Caturday and Talk Like a Pirate Day occur on the same day, eh? It's as if the planets all aligned!

Archived