Latest The Woodlands Public Art Project

bachanon

rendering/blog

artist website

chronicle article

i was disappointed when they moved "man's struggle for a better environment" over by shenandoah. i didn't know this was in the works.

picture of sculpture "man's struggle....." you have to go to page 26 in the pdf file

looking at otto rigan's website it may have been worth it.

the rendering makes them look small compared to passing cars.

rendering/blog

artist website

chronicle article

i was disappointed when they moved "man's struggle for a better environment" over by shenandoah. i didn't know this was in the works.

picture of sculpture "man's struggle....." you have to go to page 26 in the pdf file

looking at otto rigan's website it may have been worth it.

the rendering makes them look small compared to passing cars.

Bach-

It looks as though the sculpture will be lit from within. Do you know if it will be?

• 3 months later...

the sculptures are in place. they are not lit from within. all pillars are identical. it's truly uninspiring. i had hoped for better. also, they are not much bigger than the traffic.

btw, i'm getting miffed at the person in charge of the public art pieces. there are pieces with lights out for months and then they choose something banal that any cookie cutter builder could have come up with. anyone know the name of the guy managing the public art projects here in the woods?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it basically looks like uninspiring median filler. Unfortunately, a lot of the art installations in The Woodlands are bland "postmodern" hunks from the '80s that have not aged well stylistically. I will always have a soft spot for "The Dreamer" at Woodlands Parkway and South Panther Creek...memories of driving by it every afternoon after my mom picked me up from school.

Most of the sculptures can be viewed here.

• The title was changed to Latest The Woodlands Public Art Project

Archived