Grass or gravel driveway

We are planning to redo our old, narrow driveway and have been giving serious consideration to a gravel (decomposed or pea-style) or grass driveway. Until now, we didn't realize just how many are in the Heights, and we love the look and appreciate their drainage benefits, especially for the ~70-year old oak tree that borders the driveway. Unfortunately, we have no idea who might assist us with installing this kind of driveway, nor if they are cost-effective (we assume they are the same or less than a concrete driveway, but you never know).

(1) Does anyone have a lead on a contractor that does this type of work?

(2) Outside of deed restriction rules (which we need to investigate), is anyone aware of city rules against these? We would keep the concrete from the sidewalk to the street, but everything back to the detached garage would be an alternative substance.

Thanks!

2841129312_c5dc9a581f_o.jpg

(2) Outside of deed restriction rules (which we need to investigate), is anyone aware of city rules against these? We would keep the concrete from the sidewalk to the street, but everything back to the detached garage would be an alternative substance.

it is ok to use the gravel. just remember, that the gravel does have a tendency to get stuck in shoes and tracked inside. not good if you have wood floors. landscapers are the ones who usually do the installation.

it is ok to use the gravel. just remember, that the gravel does have a tendency to get stuck in shoes and tracked inside. not good if you have wood floors. landscapers are the ones who usually do the installation.

Having a landscaper do it makes sense...I see all these concrete guys doing other driveways and walkways, but a gravel drive seems a bit more specialized. And yes, we do have wood floors, so we need a larger gravel that won't get stuck in shoes!

I like the grass/concrete driveways. They are used often in Europe.

I really like the grass driveways, but am not sure if the grass really ever fills in and looks full, at least when compared to a traditional lawn.

We just had a crushed granite driveway installed. We had the concrete apron at the front that the city poured, then we had previously poured a short section of concrete up to where the front of the house starts. Then behind that all the way to our detached side load garage we had gravel put down. We previously had an old car and a half garage half way down the driveway that we demolished and crushed up the old concrete that was under it. We used that broken concrete as well as other leftover concrete we've dug up out of the yard over the years. We also used some crushed up bricks we had laying around. They then brought in 16 tons of decomposed granite. Total cost was $3,000. A lot more than we thought it would be but a large part was the materials and rental of equipment.

You don't see too many grass driveways in this part of the country. I remember we were going to do one, but a well known landscape architect talked us out of it. Unfortunately, I can't remember why, but it probably has something to do with the thick clay that our city is built on. You can't build a crushed concrete pad under the grass to add support. The roots can't grow into it.

We just had a crushed granite driveway installed. We had the concrete apron at the front that the city poured, then we had previously poured a short section of concrete up to where the front of the house starts. Then behind that all the way to our detached side load garage we had gravel put down. We previously had an old car and a half garage half way down the driveway that we demolished and crushed up the old concrete that was under it. We used that broken concrete as well as other leftover concrete we've dug up out of the yard over the years. We also used some crushed up bricks we had laying around. They then brought in 16 tons of decomposed granite. Total cost was $3,000. A lot more than we thought it would be but a large part was the materials and rental of equipment.

Did you have it professionally installed or DIY? If installed, would you mind PM'ing me with who you used and whether or not you recommend them? Also, do you have hardwoods and has this driveway caused a problem for you? Does it help with drainage?

You don't see too many grass driveways in this part of the country. I remember we were going to do one, but a well known landscape architect talked us out of it. Unfortunately, I can't remember why, but it probably has something to do with the thick clay that our city is built on. You can't build a crushed concrete pad under the grass to add support. The roots can't grow into it.

That actually makes a lot of sense. My concern with the grass driveway is that it only weeds would take hold and it would look worse than it does now!

We had it done by our landscaper because we don't do heavy machinery or sweating any more. Enough DIY for us for a while.

We used Isabel Corvera - http://www.icorvera.com/

I would highly recommend him. He makes sure it's done right. We had a problem getting across that we wanted a flair out at the parking pad in the back to facilitate parking two cars across but he happily kept changing the angle until he got it where we wanted it.

We have about 10 pecan trees lining our driveway and they just built two monstrosities next door to us so we were afraid pouring even more concrete would finish off the trees. The granite does help with the drainage although Mr. Corvera had previously installed some french drains for us.

We have hardwoods but we also have 3 dogs and a toddler so we have throw rugs everywhere as well as a mat for wiping your feet when you come in. The only time I see the granite sticking to my shoes is after a rain. Then I leave my shoes at the back door and shake them out when the granite dries.

You're welcome to drive by and take a look. We just sold the house and are waiting for closing. Here's the address/link. The pictures of the back yard with the walkway area are after we first had it done and needed to get some grass installed. The grass is in now and looks 100% better. They didn't get a full shot of the driveway. Apparently our yard/drive is what sold the house. We also have decomposed granite as the sidewalk in front of the house.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

The structural grass driveway/parking product that you show in your picture looks like grass crete, a product that is essentially HDPE rings about four inches high that are bonded into a mat. You prepare a gravel sub-base, roll out the structural mat, fill it with a prescribed soil mixture and then plant or plug grass. Reliant stadium has a good bit of it in one of their parking lots. It is one component in a site drainage system. We looked at it for a custom home in Bellaire and it was pretty expensive. At the end of the day, it was as expensive as concrete if installed per the instructions. The client opted for gravel. Beyond the cost, I always worried about the ability of the grass to survive the heat and daily car traffic.

• 3 months later...

Are there any grasscrete areas that are open to the public?

I'm seriously considering a grass driveway installation this spring so if anybody knows of one that I can go take a look at, I'd appriciate any leads. I know there's a big one by the Texans' practice facility so I'll drive by there when I get the chance, but I'm assuming that it's going to be locked most of the time and I won't be able to walk and drive on it. I really want to experience one close up.

The reason that I'm considering grass is because with the addition of a pool and a big concrete deck, I now have very little green in my backyard, only two thin strips 3' and 6' wide down each side of the yard. So plowing up my existing gravel driveway and replacing it with something like grasscrete would definately help balance out all of the hardscape. Plus, I want to get a dog one day and having something more natural would be good.

For the front I'm planning to go with the city required approach from the street to the sidewalk and twin concrete tracks leading to the gate. The grass driveway would go from the gate back to the detached garage at the back of the yard, about 60 ft.

P.S. One downside of gravel driveways that has not been mentioned here is that a woman's spike heel will sink down and they tip backwards. My wife nearly fell a couple of times until she learned to walk on her toes. If you're not going to have a separate walkway, then it's something to factor in.

Archived