Plan Delayed, But I'm In The Neighborhood

SilverJK

Well I have decided to put off purchasing a home for around 9months to a year while my wife finishes grad school, but I am now officially moving to the Heights next week. I'll be moving into the Alexan Heights. It sucks to have to rent, but at least i'll now be in the neighborhood and i'll be able to ride my bike all over, and hopefully find a good deal sometime next may/june. See ya around the 'hood.

Curt

while i don't make a habbit of doing that (i drive a jeep so i know i'm an easy target) I've heard some mixed opinions about the parking garage at alexan. I've heard that strings of break ins happen, but then they beef up security and they stop for a while. Do you speak from experience or from word of mouth?

Yeah, I'm sure people use the front seat of their cars as a safety deposit box in many neighborhoods. :D

I'm pretty familiar with the neighborhood, I was going there 2-3 times a week anyway. So if anyone sees a grown man riding around a brown and tan BMX bike, thats me house shopping!

I was just pointing out that this particular complex is notorious for break-ins (probably due to the easy access to the garage from the bayou).

Sorry if you don't feel that is useful information.

And, I was merely pointing out that cars with valuables left in them are notorious for being broken into. A story in one of the Montgomery County newspapers last week featured a detective who interviewed a vehicle burglary suspect. The suspect explained that he liked to target gated communities because they leave valuables in their cars. He explained that he would walk up one side of the street andown the other side pulling door handles. He only burgled the unlocked cars, and took whatever was left in them. Residents of gated communities tend to have a false sense that the gate keeps thieves out.

The point here is that those ANYWHERE who leave laptops, GPS, cell phones and iPods in unlocked cars get hit first. Those who leave these items in view in a locked car get hit second. Those who lock their cars and take their valuables with them seldom get hit. This applies in ANY neighborhood in ANY apartment complex.

I hope you find THIS to be useful information.

And, I was merely pointing out that cars with valuables left in them are notorious for being broken into. A story in one of the Montgomery County newspapers last week featured a detective who interviewed a vehicle burglary suspect. The suspect explained that he liked to target gated communities because they leave valuables in their cars. He explained that he would walk up one side of the street andown the other side pulling door handles. He only burgled the unlocked cars, and took whatever was left in them. Residents of gated communities tend to have a false sense that the gate keeps thieves out.

The point here is that those ANYWHERE who leave laptops, GPS, cell phones and iPods in unlocked cars get hit first. Those who leave these items in view in a locked car get hit second. Those who lock their cars and take their valuables with them seldom get hit. This applies in ANY neighborhood in ANY apartment complex.

I hope you find THIS to be useful information.

But you have to agree that it's worse in some place than others. Maybe try taking it down a notch.

But you have to agree that it's worse in some place than others. Maybe try taking it down a notch.

I don't have to agree that it is ever a good idea to leave valuables in the car or to leave it unlocked. But, in the interest of taking it down a notch, I recommend that you leave your valuables in your car.

Better?

My fiance and I lived there from may '05 till April '08....loved it when first moved in, but by the time we moved out it was....well, different. It seemed that once in a while they'd have break ins with the cars and then like someone earlier said, they'd beef up "security" and everything was cool for awhile....People would literally sit in the culdesac and wait, once a tenant pulled in it would be like a free for all....sometimes its legitimate, but man it happened alllll the time! It almost seemed like the people hadnt even called they're friend or family member to buzz them in.....the reason I said "security" is bc it was not a full time security gaurd like some of the other alexan properties, but rather an HPD officer would swing by, walk around and then leave.......once in a blue moon, they'd actually watch the people going into the garage. MY ALL-TIME PET PEEV with that place was that people would literally sit outside the gate where people EXIT and wait for someone to leave, then go flying into the garage......pissed me off so bad! complaining to the office did absolutely nothing!

• The title was changed to Plan Delayed, But I'm In The Neighborhood

Archived