South Main Narrow Gauge Ry.

WillowBend56

• The title was changed to Narrow Gauge Railway On South Main St.
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jallaway said:

I've read that the Hermann Park train used to be at Playland Park (9200 South Main); but I'd have no idea what is was called back then.  Another tidbit is that Playland Park shows to have opened in 1940

There was no miniature train at Playland Park. But the Slusky brothers, who owned Playland Park, also operated the miniature train at Hermann Park.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the narrow gauge pass was a reference to the trolley line on S.Main. It was still in service for a short time after the Bellaire line closed. On early topo. maps it's drawn smaller than the RR tracks that ran close to Almeda Rd. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to South Main Narrow Gauge Ry.

Confirmed this was apart of the Kiddie Wonderland amusement park.  The key determining factor was the train number.

I found the South Main Narrow Gauge Ry. tickets as described in the original posting.  I will transcribe the tickets and also include photos below.

I actually have @Mr.rpmto thank for linking us with that last YouTube video of KW.  I found the matching train number 97 on the video.

Front:

In
Houston, Texas

1934-1936
Pass
Account
Good until December 31, 1936, unless otherwise limited.
Valid when countersigned by
J.L. Hardin
__________?
Executive Vice President

Back:

In
Houston, Texas

Conditions.

Not transferable and the person accepting and using this pass thereby assumes all risk of accident of inquiry to person or loss or damage to property and expressly agrees not to hold above named company nor its owner, liable for same.

If presented by any other than the person named on the front therefor the Conductor will take up this pass and culled full fare.

This pass is void of any alterations or ensures are may be revoked at any time and must be signed in ink by the holder.

I accept the above conditions hereby certify and declare that I am not prohibited by and law (either State or Federal) from accepting or using this pass, and I further agree that I will not make use of all any time when or where such use would be violation of law.

Good on “97”

WF0VLUw.png

WVi4ncU.png

Train "97" as seen here.

qcDYUBR.png

• Like 2