It Could Happen Tomorrow : Weather Channel Show

misplaced txgirl

Did anyone else happen to see the Weather Channel show last night about "what if" hurricanes hitting Houston? The first half of the show was "It Did Happen" about Carla hitting in 1961. They had some good pictures of Galveston and Houston before and after the storm. They were talking about the people getting prepared, i.e. filling up the bathtub with water (didn't have bottled water available like now). Buying CANNED food, not frozen in case the electric went out. Does anyone else remember their Mom filling the bathtub with water? They said only 6 people died in Galveston, because they wouldn't evacuate, and only 35 died in Texas related to the storm. Damage was set at 325 MILLION but in todays market that would be 2 BILLION dollars damage. :wacko:

lynda

Filling up the tub is still a good idea.

Yup, for washing dishes and clothes, flushing the toilet, bathing, and even for boiling for drinking water, if the bottled water runs out.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I have seen that episode before, as well as the one about a tornado hitting Dallas (guess they forgot about the one that hit Fort Worth).

Always, always fill the tub with water if a destructive storm is imminent. Very simple. Old school, but there's a reason.

Carla was before my time --but Camille was a monster storm that went way off of Houston, I think it at the LA/MS coastal border. I was a toddler and we were living in Friendswood, and my mother filled the tub. She got out all the candles, canned food, everything, like 2 days ahead; we got the NASA weather feed. Dad was out of town on business. The next day we drove to Dallas with friends, my dad was that worried that the storm might come through Galveston.

ever go to the store before a big storm and watch what people buy? A LOT of people buy FROZEN food, not thinking the electric could/will go off...

even here in southern pennsylvania, with the few snows or ice storms that come through, people don't even think what could be...

a few years ago we had the remains of a hurrican come off the east coast...they already predicted a lot of rain and electric out...my husband and his family thought i was nuts for filling 55 gallon drums with water in the barn for the horses...they forgot "no electric - no pump"...they don't think i'm so nuts now...

you can also take 5 gallon buckets and put small trash bags in them and fill with water and close them with twist ties...i've carried water from home for years when traveling with the horses...works great.

:blink:

What's really impressive is that you didn't drown in a drunken stupor ;)

We add to the canned food supply at the start of every summer. We have a little gas camping stove that will come in handy if we have to dip into the emergency food. If not, the supplies eventually go camping with us.

Archived