Why fireplaces in Houston homes?

Like the title ask b/c I don't understand. From what I can tell ALL Houston homes, apartments and townhomes built in the 70's, 80's and even 90's have a chimney.

There is one month a year (maybe) where you may think about lighting one up. I don't want to hear architecture of the day excuse b/c everyone knows they leak, attract birds, cause foundation issues, take up valuable space...

Why?

Like the title ask b/c I don't understand. From what I can tell ALL Houston homes, apartments and townhomes built in the 70's, 80's and even 90's have a chimney.

There is one month a year (maybe) where you may think about lighting one up. I don't want to hear architecture of the day excuse b/c everyone knows they leak, attract birds, cause foundation issues, take up valuable space...

Why?

I don't have a fireplace, but I definitely want one in my next house. Winters vary, but there are several times a year that a fire would be very cozy and nice. I know it's silly, and I never thought I wanted one (which is why we don't have one in this house), but I find I do. It evokes home and coziness and nice family moments.

Yes, I DO know how cheesy that all sounds. But there it is.

The energy crisis of the '70s caused a huge interest in using alternative heating methods, influencing many people to install fireplaces or woodburning stoves in new residential construction. This practice had more validity in colder climates, but Houston participated in the national trend.

Personally, I like fireplaces. I wouldn't dream of owning a home without one.

The energy crisis of the '70s caused a huge interest in using alternative heating methods, influencing many people to install fireplaces or woodburning stoves in new residential construction. This practice had more validity in colder climates, but Houston participated in the national trend.

Understood and makes sense

This article argues the inefficiency of one:

http://hearth.com/what/more/skip.html

Fireplaces have long been a staple of North American households. Builders find it difficult to sell a new house without one. Yet the mythological attraction of cozy fireplaces rarely translates into reality. Most fireplaces are difficult to start, smoke, create unpleasant cold drafts, and cause a number of other unseen problems of which the homeowner is often unaware. In most homes, conventional wood-burning fireplaces are between -10% and +10% efficient. They supply little if any heat to the house, particularly with cold outside temperatures.

I don't have a fireplace, but I definitely want one in my next house. Winters vary, but there are several times a year that a fire would be very cozy and nice. I know it's silly, and I never thought I wanted one (which is why we don't have one in this house), but I find I do. It evokes home and coziness and nice family moments.

Yes, I DO know how cheesy that all sounds. But there it is.

I totally agree with the cozy moments. Christmas wouldn't be the same without the fireplace and its cozy glow.

Understood and makes sense

This article argues the inefficiency of one:

http://hearth.com/what/more/skip.html

Fireplaces have long been a staple of North American households. Builders find it difficult to sell a new house without one. Yet the mythological attraction of cozy fireplaces rarely translates into reality. Most fireplaces are difficult to start, smoke, create unpleasant cold drafts, and cause a number of other unseen problems of which the homeowner is often unaware. In most homes, conventional wood-burning fireplaces are between -10% and +10% efficient. They supply little if any heat to the house, particularly with cold outside temperatures.

Mine's not drafty.

189065641_c59b9e3974.jpg?v=0

Though you have a point about it not supplying much heat.

My house was built in 1965, and it has a fireplace. So do all of the other houses around mine, built at the same time, so I don't think the 1970s energy crisis is at the root of this.

I've used my fireplace once or twice in the 8 years I've lived here. My childhood home (built in 1971) had a fireplace, and I think we used it 10 times while I was growing up.

It's a fetish.

Wood- and coal-burning stoves make sense as a survival tool in Houston. I'm not so sure about fireplaces, though.

My fireplace is coal burning. There used to be one in the kitchen too; the remains of the chimney are still under the house.

Is it legal to burn coal? Where do I get some? The firebox for coal is really small. I could fit maybe one fakey log in there.

My house was built in 1965, and it has a fireplace. So do all of the other houses around mine, built at the same time, so I don't think the 1970s energy crisis is at the root of this.

I've used my fireplace once or twice in the 8 years I've lived here. My childhood home (built in 1971) had a fireplace, and I think we used it 10 times while I was growing up.

Hee! My childhood home was built in 1965 (and my parents still live there...), complete with giant brick fireplace just like every other house in our neighborhood. When I was little, my mom would start lighting fires in the fireplace as early as October. October, people!!!

She's calmed down a bit since then, but nowadays there's pretty much a continuous fire going from late November to early February whether it's cold outside or not. :rolleyes:

My greatgrandmothers bungalow in Magnolia Park had a fireplace/chimney that was not used in the 1960's, had a couch in front of it. :D

I imagine the insulation was scarse, so it was necessary in it's day. Nowadays, I don't know, think it's more for asthetics. Most people like how it looks. My fireplace is gas-powered. Beats the !@&* out of those messy logs.

Broadly speaking, I think fireplaces are unnecessary in Houston. But then, they're probably great if the power goes off for extended periods of time during hurricanes -- you can still cook!

I don't see the point of gas fireplaces. If it's not a log, why burn it?

Then again, I don't think professional ice hockey should be played in places where the sport cannot be played outside.

I personally think a fireplace is a waste of space and am glad I don't have one. I think some time in the early sixties they came to be considered standard equipment, like a brick exterior, and a house without one was considered too "basic" to be desirable, and voila, all new homes had them.

I'd guess that the desire for a fireplace in a place like Houston is connected to the mythos of The Hearth. Maybe deep down, when we shop for a house, we're really looking for a good cave.

My fireplace is coal burning. There used to be one in the kitchen too; the remains of the chimney are still under the house.

Is it legal to burn coal? Where do I get some? The firebox for coal is really small. I could fit maybe one fakey log in there.

This company sells anthracite in 40-pound bags for home use. Apparently some people do use their coal fireplaces, but it's very uncommon.

If your fireplace is big enough and you just want dancing flames, try a candelabra: Hearth Candelabra

My wife and I have one and we like it a lot.

This company sells anthracite in 40-pound bags for home use. Apparently some people do use their coal fireplaces, but it's very uncommon.

If your fireplace is big enough and you just want dancing flames, try a candelabra: Hearth Candelabra

My wife and I have one and we like it a lot.

Thx--I love that website. "It's not just coal, it's anthracite!" Curious about the heating properties of it vs. wood.

I figured coal went out of style a very long time ago, especially down here. I probably won't use the fireplace at all. The extremely heavy cast iron cover is quite decorative and a valuable antique, so I'll just admire it instead of trying to make fire in my living room.

Thx--I love that website. "It's not just coal, it's anthracite!" Curious about the heating properties of it vs. wood.

I figured coal went out of style a very long time ago, especially down here. I probably won't use the fireplace at all. The extremely heavy cast iron cover is quite decorative and a valuable antique, so I'll just admire it instead of trying to make fire in my living room.

In places like West Virginia and Pennsylvania some people still burn coal in their homes every day for heat and cooking. In poor areas where the kids don't go to school they chase the coal trains and pick up the rocks that fall off and bring them home to their mothers in exchange for a treat.

Man, I've spent waaay too much time in Mingo County.

In places like West Virginia and Pennsylvania some people still burn coal in their homes every day for heat and cooking. In poor areas where the kids don't go to school they chase the coal trains and pick up the rocks that fall off and bring them home to their mothers in exchange for a treat.

My BF's family is from PA and western NJ. When he was a boy and used to visit the great grandparents, that's what they did, just like his dad before that.

The new generation of coal stoves are quite nifty looking in that LL Bean sort of way.

Why?

Why? I tell you why: builders are getting cheaper, and cheaper, and cheaper.

If you have a house built in the 1960s... chances are your fireplace was all brick. The whole thing. Inside and out, all the way to the top. Now that's a fireplace.

If you have a house built in the 1970's (later 70's)... fireplace was mostly brick... but then the chimney part may be just a metal duct sticking out of the top of the house. Cheaper to build.

If you have a house built in the 1980's... fireplace might have a ceramic tile surround. Metal insert. Metal duct sticking out of the house. Can't even really burn wood in it. Maybe a fake fire log. Just pathetic.

If you have a house built in the 1990's... lucky if you even have a fireplace. No real tile surround to even speak of. Just a hole in a sheet-rocked wall. Thinner metal inserts. You can't help but ask: Why did they even bother?

Its a left over tradition from olden times. No house could function without a hearth. Nowadays, its nice to arrange furniture around a fireplace, personally, I don't need one nor want one, but it make a nice focal point to a family room.

• 3 weeks later...

Because when you are in a tropical climate such as Houston for 10 months out of the year. When it gets down to 50* and no humidity, that is VERY cold for us, that, and we just like to burn things, so we try to make it look legal by throwing it in the fireplace.

Archived