Transit Oriented Developments

At the risk of starting all of this nonsense up again, I just have to say...every time I've ever been to Las Colinas, I feel like I've stepped onto a movie set that suddenly shut down production. The place is eerily quiet, both during business hours and during the evenings/weekends. There was never anyone in the restaurants, no one on the streets or sidewalks, and the apartments seemed to have maybe 50% occupancy. It felt like the end of the world or something. All that infrastructure -- roads and canals and "people movers" -- just sitting vacant, going to waste.

I don't get it, I guess. Why is Las Colinas such a big deal? I understand that there are some big companies based there and I know they have some decent housing (I've got a friend who rents an apartment in the "CBD" for an exorbitant amount of money...), but it seems deathly quiet considering those facts. Have I missed something every time I've been?

It is quiet now because DART claimed they didn't have the money to finish the rail to Irving [Las Colinas] as planned. There is 4 billion dollars of personal investment in TOD [transit oriented development] waiting to meet up with the rail stations planned along the orange line in Irving. These developments will be in Las Colinas and in its lead in developments. What I find incredible is that one can expect investments to increase the closer one gets to the opening date of the rail stations.

When splitting relocations up into global, national and regional headquarters, Las Colinas is a great place for a global headquarters because of DFW airport, the answer most often given why companies move there, although the business district does have all kinds of national and regional headquarters also.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the risk of starting all of this nonsense up again, I just have to say...every time I've ever been to Las Colinas, I feel like I've stepped onto a movie set that suddenly shut down production. The place is eerily quiet, both during business hours and during the evenings/weekends. There was never anyone in the restaurants, no one on the streets or sidewalks, and the apartments seemed to have maybe 50% occupancy. It felt like the end of the world or something. All that infrastructure -- roads and canals and "people movers" -- just sitting vacant, going to waste.

I don't get it, I guess. Why is Las Colinas such a big deal? I understand that there are some big companies based there and I know they have some decent housing (I've got a friend who rents an apartment in the "CBD" for an exorbitant amount of money...), but it seems deathly quiet considering those facts. Have I missed something every time I've been?

So true. And the "movie set that suddenly shut down production" is a pretty good description of Victory Park too...

My thing is that it seems so isolated. It even seems isolated from the City of Irving. While I applaud them for trying to create an independent center that can cater to its residents/workers without any outside influence, it seems to also shut itself off from the rest of the Metroplex and its overall vibrancy.

For all the flack that Plano, for example, gets, it at least seems to try to include itself in its immediate surroundings. I don't know if that's intentional or not but it certainly seems to be more prevalent than Las Colinas.

:lol: this is so true.

My thing is that it seems so isolated. It even seems isolated from the City of Irving. While I applaud them for trying to create an independent center that can cater to its residents/workers without any outside influence, it seems to also shut itself off from the rest of the Metroplex and its overall vibrancy.

When I first lived in Dallas, I lived in an apartment in Las Colinas. I can assure you that the isolation is real. NOTHING is close by, though in fairness, nothing is more than 30 minutes away, either. Every trip to get anything or do anything required a 10 to 20 minute drive, whether it be groceries, booze, dining or entertainment. I am sure there are more retail and grocery stores nearby now, but I am also quite sure that the booze, dining and entertainment still requires a 10 to 20 minute drive.

Anf for the love of GOD, someone plant a TREE! Anyone! It looks like a lunar landscape in there!

Some people may find this thread amusing; others, annoying. Whether it's informative is questionable.

If you like the direction this thread has taken, please report it to the moderating team. I'll gladly reopen it if the other moderators and editor think it's worthy.

Until then, this thread is closed.

Archived