Flavor Tripping at La Strada

Attention all foodies (or people who want to experience a trip of the legal sort):

Flavor Tripping Party

Friday, July 25th, 6pm

La Strada

The Houston Chowhounds will be hosting a Flavor Tripping Party this Friday evening for anyone who's interested in trying Miracle Berries for themselves. A little background: Miracle Berries are a native African fruit that chemically alter your tastebuds for up to an hour. The result is that sour and bitter foods taste sweet. Lemons taste like lemonade, rhubarb tastes like candy, bologna sandwiches taste like cake, Guinness tastes like a chocolate milkshake, etc. It's a trip for your tongue. :P

We've reserved the entire second floor of La Strada for the party, which will include a cash bar with happy hour prices, special cocktails concocted by La Strada to pair with the berries, and a huge spread of food -- again, all specially chosen to go with the berries. The price? A mere $15 for the berries and the food. :D

For more information or to reserve a spot, visit I'm Never Full.

And for more background on the berries themselves, check this out.

Hope to see some HAIFers there!

Attention all foodies (or people who want to experience a trip of the legal sort):

Flavor Tripping Party

Friday, July 25th, 6pm

La Strada

The Houston Chowhounds will be hosting a Flavor Tripping Party this Friday evening for anyone who's interested in trying Miracle Berries for themselves. A little background: Miracle Berries are a native African fruit that chemically alter your tastebuds for up to an hour. The result is that sour and bitter foods taste sweet. Lemons taste like lemonade, rhubarb tastes like candy, bologna sandwiches taste like cake, Guinness tastes like a chocolate milkshake, etc. It's a trip for your tongue. :P

We've reserved the entire second floor of La Strada for the party, which will include a cash bar with happy hour prices, special cocktails concocted by La Strada to pair with the berries, and a huge spread of food -- again, all specially chosen to go with the berries. The price? A mere $15 for the berries and the food. :D

For more information or to reserve a spot, visit I'm Never Full.

And for more background on the berries themselves, check this out.

Hope to see some HAIFers there!

that sounds pretty freaking cool.

Intriguing!

I'm not sure I count as a HAIFer (with, like, 3 posts in 2 years) but my wife and will be there. Thanks for the tip!

(Oh, and to anyone else who may be interested, the cutoff for the pre-buy price of $15 was Tuesday; the cost now is $20/person.)

Update on tomorrow night's party...

There are 10 spots left (50 people coming so far!!!) and it will be $20 at the door. Also, the specialty cocktail I alluded to earlier has been revealed:

the specialty cocktail that our la strada bartenders extraordinaire will be making is a cucumber mojito. they will be made with extra fresh lime juice and no sugar. of course the "berry effect" will make them taste sweet! sweet!

I know there are some HAIFers coming and I can't wait to see y'all there. This should be all kinds of crazy fun. I'm the short redhead with glasses if anyone wants to seek me out and say hi. :)

Just a quick follow up... We had a fantastic turnout -- well over 100 people showed up, with at least 15 placing their names on the wait list in case any RSVPs didn't show up. There WILL be future parties in Houston, so stay tuned.

Big ups to the HAIFers that showed up. Y'all rock. :)

Writeups here: http://houstonist.com/2008/07/28/tripping_...ht_balsamic.php and here: http://imneverfull.blogspot.com/2008/07/mi...arty-press.html.