Your Stimulus Check

crunchtastic

oh wow... i thought everyone (that filed) got back stimulus checks.

Thanks Red.. Now i know I'm officially poor.

Look at the bright side. You now have a ready made retort to those who accuse you of being an elitist..."I got a stimulus check! Did you?"

As promised, here's the completed article. I got a surprising number of responses (from HAIF and other various sources) but was only able to include a few dozen. Of the ones that I didn't include, they were basically duplicates of other responses (i.e., credit cards, bills). Hope y'all enjoy!

Stimulating!

I know...I'm crap at coming up with titles. :rolleyes:

It's actually worse than that. The government BORROWED the money and gave it back to us. I'm pretty sure most of us could have gotten better terms on our own. All this so that Walmart and BestBuy could report better sales? This is what our lame economy has come to? Are any of you old enough to remember the old days when we built stuff instead of just selling stuff some other country made?

It's actually worse than that. The government BORROWED the money and gave it back to us. I'm pretty sure most of us could have gotten better terms on our own.

Does the $600 stimulus checks come out of or have any bearing on future or prior tax returns ?

Was the federal gvt under any obligation to 'return' our $600 ?

It may have done jack to stimulate the economy, but i fail to see how anyone who received one should be anything but thankful at getting one.

Lots of the comments on the bigger site are mocking and whiny and ungrateful. I'm sorry, but i dont get it... even if it goes towards gas, creditcard debt, or some other necessary evil, that is $600 not coming out of your checking account that month.

I see it as free money that wasn't mine, and it helps.

It may have done jack to stimulate the economy, but i fail to see how anyone who received one should be anything but thankful at getting one.

If I were leaving the country, and therefore would never have to pay to fix the mess that this unfunded giveaway adds to, yeah, I'd be thankful. But, since I do not have any current plans to leave, and am apparently too young to die before the sheet hits the fan, I see no reason to be anything other than furious that the worst president in our 232 year history just added $300 Billion to his world record deficit. Given that you are probably 10-15 years younger than me, I am curious why you are not even angrier than I am, as you'll have to pay to fix this longer than I will.

Think about this for a second. Bush has borrowed more than $650 for every man, woman and child on the PLANET in less than 8 years. Not spent. BORROWED!

Does the $600 stimulus checks come out of or have any bearing on future or prior tax returns ?

Was the federal gvt under any obligation to 'return' our $600 ?

Lots of the comments on the bigger site are mocking and whiny and ungrateful. I'm sorry, but i dont get it... even if it goes towards gas, creditcard debt, or some other necessary evil, that is $600 not coming out of your checking account that month.

I see it as free money that wasn't mine, and it helps.

I'll quote two different people here in reply to your questions... (1) It's all a shell game (tm crunchtastic). That was your money. It wasn't "free money." It was money taken from your earnings, poorly invested in a million and one areas, borrowed back from a foreign country (one of the many poor investments our government made with your money) and finally redistributed back to you.

And (2) it was really big of the government to give me my money back. Why should we be grateful for getting our own, hard-earned money back from a government that consistently mismanages and misspends our taxes? The government should be grateful that there are so many sheeple in this country who are mindlessly willing to give up more and more of their income to their bottomless coffers.

Your mileage may vary, of course. ;)

It was mine. You're welcome.

It was no more yours than it was previously mine.

We both owed taxes to the fed gvt. We either paid out too little or too much out of each paycheck and in the spring either got back a little if we overpaid or wrote a check if we underpaid.

At that point, we each paid our share that we owed to the gvt based on our income levels for that year. We were square with the gvt till the next yr. That money belongs to the federal gvt at that point. ...not you.. not me.

Also at that point.. they were under no obligation to "return" "borrowed" money. That $600 wasnt mine, waiting for me to reclaim it. It wasn't yours either.

Also at that point.. they were under no obligation to "return" "borrowed" money. That $600 wasnt mine, waiting for me to reclaim it. It wasn't yours either.

You got some of our money back. I didn't. That means you got some of my money. See?

If I were leaving the country, and therefore would never have to pay to fix the mess that this unfunded giveaway adds to, yeah, I'd be thankful. But, since I do not have any current plans to leave, and am apparently too young to die before the sheet hits the fan, I see no reason to be anything other than furious that the worst president in our 232 year history just added $300 Billion to his world record deficit. Given that you are probably 10-15 years younger than me, I am curious why you are not even angrier than I am, as you'll have to pay to fix this longer than I will.

Think about this for a second. Bush has borrowed more than $650 for every man, woman and child on the PLANET in less than 8 years. Not spent. BORROWED!

I Do see your point in borrowing against the future by adding to the deficit. That makes sense.

But then again..as a conservative..I must say, it is kinda nice getting a slice for once.

Maybe I'll apply for food stamps next.

How is the Conservative's war, or the Liberal's "welfare/healthcare for everyone/ redistribution of wealth" mentality any different... they both add to the deficit and @#$@ over the future, money-wise.

How will I pay to fix this longer?

Unless the tax code is rewritten across the board becasue of the deficit and in order to fix the deficit, then my taxes, based on my income, will be relatively constant. My income will grow little by little.. my taxes will increase little by little. But the amount of deficit will effect me little directly.

Maybe my need to pay higher taxes increase with the current administration.

But my chances of being asked to pay higher taxes increase if liberals are in control.

Also.. is the actual deficit growing because of this ?

If I put $1000 on my credit card... i know that down the line, i have to either spend less or forego other purchases until that 1000 is paid off.

Same here... 300 billion on my credit card... Okay... so down the line, thats less budget room for social services, welfare to "crackwhOres", bridges to nowhere, $10000 wrenches for NASA, etc.

With the current administration, my credit card outstanding balance is increasing.. but at least my monthly payments are affordable.

If liberals are in charge, my outstanding balance maybe doesnt go up as fast, or maybe goes up for other reasons... but at least my monthly payment hasnt increased.

Yes.. i hate the spending, hate the deficit, .... but just like the ever-increasing creditcard balance.. I'm asking my future self to help out my present self.. if times arent easy now, i need the help.. future self will hopefully be making more money then present self... seems pretty reasonable for him to be helping me out within reason.

And (2) it was really big of the government to give me my money back. Why should we be grateful for getting our own, hard-earned money back from a government that consistently mismanages and misspends our taxes?

I Do Not see nor get the perspective of this "was" my money that I'm finally getting back. You get back taxes in services. Like any other services, you pay for them.

If you wanna Not get back "Your money" come tax time.. then declare less, pay less taxes per paycheck, invest what you will need to pay as taxes, then write your check to uncle sam later and maybe have some interest left over to play with.

This 600 was extra and on top of the taxes we owed the gvt for services provided. It not "getting back" anything.

You got some of our money back. I didn't. That means you got some of my money. See?

If a painter paints your house and charges you $200. You owe the painter $200. Once he has that money, its no longer yours, it's his. You owed it to him, you paid it to him.

The gvt is painting your house.. what you owe him is based on how big your house is. At the end of the day, you pay what you owe... its no longer yours.

You don't pay taxes on future income, you pay it on past income... the painter painted your house, not promises to paint it... service rendered, debt owed, debt paid = No longer your money.

If your painter then wants to give me his money out of the kindness of his heart.. thats between him and me... its his money to give.

I Do Not see nor get the perspective of this "was" my money that I'm finally getting back. You get back taxes in services. Like any other services, you pay for them.

If you wanna Not get back "Your money" come tax time.. then declare less, pay less taxes per paycheck, invest what you will need to pay as taxes, then write your check to uncle sam later and maybe have some interest left over to play with.

This 600 was extra and on top of the taxes we owed the gvt for services provided. It not "getting back" anything.

One could make the argument that you aren't really getting the benefit of 75% to 80% of those "services" that you're paying for. I don't like having to fund welfare programs, defense programs, education programs (government-run education is a j-o-k-e, joke), etc. that I think are mismanaged and poorly-run and unfathomably corrupt. I also don't like handing over my income to people who are too lazy or stupid to get a job of their own. But one can't pick and choose the programs that they want to participate in, can they? ;)

And...why, yes! I am a crazy Libertarian! :lol:

If a painter paints your house and charges you $200. You owe the painter $200. Once he has that money, its no longer yours, it's his. You owed it to him, you paid it to him.

The gvt is painting your house.. what you owe him is based on how big your house is. At the end of the day, you pay what you owe... its no longer yours.

You don't pay taxes on future income, you pay it on past income... the painter painted your house, not promises to paint it... service rendered, debt owed, debt paid = No longer your money.

If your painter then wants to give me his money out of the kindness of his heart.. thats between him and me... its his money to give.

But a painter isn't of the people, by the people and for the people. A painter is someone else. Our government is us. We make it, we fund it, we own it. Apparently I've paid for more of it than you have, and apparently I've given you back some of the money we paid in. A little gratitude would be nice.

One could make the argument that you aren't really getting the benefit of 75% to 80% of those "services" that you're paying for. I don't like having to fund welfare programs, defense programs, education programs (government-run education is a j-o-k-e, joke), etc. that I think are mismanaged and poorly-run and unfathomably corrupt. I also don't like handing over my income to people who are too lazy or stupid to get a job of their own. But one can't pick and choose the programs that they want to participate in, can they? ;)

And...why, yes! I am a crazy Libertarian! :lol:

I agree whole-heartedly. Nobody is going to agree with how every dime is spent by whatever club they're part of.

We can't pick and choose.

I may not get benefit of all the services provided.. but I still agree to pay a certain % for the right to be in the club and hope that ultimately I get more out of than what I put in.

Regardless.. you and I each paid the agreed upon club dues in april. The stimulus checks have zero tie-in to the agreed upon club dues. They dont affect how much my club dues are. They dont affect the services I get from paying those club dues. I see it as an additional service provided... and if for any given service, it only benefits 75-80%, i dont see why this is any different.

But then again..as a conservative..I must say, it is kinda nice getting a slice for once.

Then, you quite simply, are not a conservative. You merely wish to identify yourself as one, much as the poor and middle class buy designer clothes in the hope of being perceived as wealthier than they are.

Oh, I don't know, does $425 Billion this year, and $440 Billion next year (both new record highs, over 2004's $413 Billion), versus last year's $162 Billion sound like more? Does $10 Trillion (National Debt when Bush leaves office) versus $5.7 Trillion (National Debt when Bush took office) sound like more?

I Do see your point in borrowing against the future by adding to the deficit. That makes sense.

Maybe I'll apply for food stamps next.

How is the Conservative's war, or the Liberal's "welfare/healthcare for everyone/ redistribution of wealth" mentality any different... they both add to the deficit and @#$@ over the future, money-wise.

How will I pay to fix this longer?

Unless the tax code is rewritten across the board becasue of the deficit and in order to fix the deficit, then my taxes, based on my income, will be relatively constant. My income will grow little by little.. my taxes will increase little by little. But the amount of deficit will effect me little directly.

Maybe my need to pay higher taxes increase with the current administration.

But my chances of being asked to pay higher taxes increase if liberals are in control.

If I put $1000 on my credit card... i know that down the line, i have to either spend less or forego other purchases until that 1000 is paid off.

Same here... 300 billion on my credit card... Okay... so down the line, thats less budget room for social services, welfare to "crackwhOres", bridges to nowhere, $10000 wrenches for NASA, etc.

With the current administration, my credit card outstanding balance is increasing.. but at least my monthly payments are affordable.

If liberals are in charge, my outstanding balance maybe doesnt go up as fast, or maybe goes up for other reasons... but at least my monthly payment hasnt increased.

Yes.. i hate the spending, hate the deficit, .... but just like the ever-increasing creditcard balance.. I'm asking my future self to help out my present self.. if times arent easy now, i need the help.. future self will hopefully be making more money then present self... seems pretty reasonable for him to be helping me out within reason.

You, like most Republicans and Libertarians, see the government as someone else, an enemy who is taking your money. You see the goal as giving this bill collecter as little of your money as possible. What you fail to realize is that this other person is yourself. The government is your country, your home. To deprive the government of the money needed to fund your armies, to build and maintain your roads, to pay your police and run your schools, is no different than refusing to pay your mortgage, utility bills and home maintanance, because the bank, electric company and A/C repairman are "the enemy", and "taking my money". Eventually, you may have more money in your bank account, but your home collapses from neglect...and the creditors sue you for the bills anyway. But, you smugly sit in a lawn chair in your yard thinking, "they didn't get my money".

Because Republicans see government as evil, Republicans in the government run it poorly. Wealthy Republicans see it as a source of cash, and middle income Republicans do not demand anything of it. If Republicans actually treated government as what it is...an extension of themselves and their country...they would demand that it perform its role more efficiently and fiscally responsibly. Instead, Republicans run on a platform of destroying government. No wonder that they succeed at it.

You ask why you will pay longer than me. Oh, I don't know, let's look at the numbers. By the end of the year, the National Debt will be $10 Trillion. GDP is roughly $13 Trillion and stagnant. The budget is $3 Trillion, but taxes only bring in $2.6 Trillion. Even John McCain's impossible economic and budget plan predicts deficits until 2013. How long do YOU think it will take to pay this off, especially considering neither candidate is addressing the budget deficit? Let me put in personal terms for you. You and your significant other make $52,000 a year, but you live on $60,000 a year, putting the other $8,000 on credit cards. You've already run up $200,000 in debt prior to this year. Is that a problem? How will you get out of this dilemma? How long will it take? Does taking a $600 cash advance on your maxed out credit card make you HAPPY?

But a painter isn't of the people, by the people and for the people. A painter is someone else. Our government is us. We make it, we fund it, we own it. Apparently I've paid for more of it than you have, and apparently I've given you back some of the money we paid in. A little gratitude would be nice.

Is your church you? Is your alumni association you?

If you're a exxon stockholder, do you not still owe for the service provided even if .0001 cents will eventually find its way back into your pocket? Are you Exxon ?

Of the people, by the people, for the people - And to you that equals the gvt is the people ?

I see that its of the people, its made up of those that its meant to represent.

I see by the people, its the brainchild of the people it represents.

I see for the people, its meant to serve those it represents.

I dont see that once its Of you, By you, and For you, that it Becomes you.

My church vestry isnt me... My alumni association board of directors isnt me.

Those are of, by, and for the people too.... but they arent 'the people'..

Yah.. i do see it as created by me, for me... but its isnt me.

Then, you quite simply, are not a conservative. You merely wish to identify yourself as one, much as the poor and middle class buy designer clothes in the hope of being perceived as wealthier than they are.

It was more of a "If you cant beat them, join them" temporarily expressed sentiment... I'll go back to hating on the welfare lines, healthcare for illegal immigrants, and those that want to impose their pc-ness on me soon enough.

Plus, even an absolute scrooge of a company head is allowed to enjoy the overly-costly christmas party each year.

Oh, I don't know, does $425 Billion this year, and $440 Billion next year (both new record highs, over 2004's $413 Billion), versus last year's $162 Billion sound like more? Does $10 Trillion (National Debt when Bush leaves office) versus $5.7 Trillion (National Debt when Bush took office) sound like more?

Of course its more.. But deficit or surplus, its always a constant balance.

You spend more this month, then you find ways to spend less next month.

You spend too much on gas, then you find cheaper foods to eat.

You, like most Republicans and Libertarians, see the government as someone else, an enemy who is taking your money. You see the goal as giving this bill collecter as little of your money as possible. What you fail to realize is that this other person is yourself. The government is your country, your home. To deprive the government of the money needed to fund your armies, to build and maintain your roads, to pay your police and run your schools, is no different than refusing to pay your mortgage, utility bills and home maintanance, because the bank, electric company and A/C repairman are "the enemy", and "taking my money". Eventually, you may have more money in your bank account, but your home collapses from neglect...and the creditors sue you for the bills anyway. But, you smugly sit in a lawn chair in your yard thinking, "they didn't get my money".

Nice sound bite, but you're completely out from left field and dead wrong here.

Yes, I see the government as someone else.

No, i do not see the government as my enemy.

I may not have a smile on my face when i pay my taxes, but i also will always pay my share.

I have no desire to deprive the gvt of money to pay for roads, schools, protection.

Gvt or a/c repairman, I benefit from services, I pay for those services.

I dont know where you're coming from... I have not once complained about having to pay taxes.

To the contrary, I have argued the exact opposite. It's Not My Money the gvt is taking from me.. its what I owe for services rprovided. IT's their money they are collecting for providing me with a service.

In fact, as a conservative, I get mad at those that benefit from those services without paying for them.

Those that don't pay income taxes, illegal immigrants, might as well be walking out of the store with goods stuffed under their shirt.

Because Republicans see government as evil, Republicans in the government run it poorly. Wealthy Republicans see it as a source of cash, and middle income Republicans do not demand anything of it. If Republicans actually treated government as what it is...an extension of themselves and their country...they would demand that it perform its role more efficiently and fiscally responsibly. Instead, Republicans run on a platform of destroying government. No wonder that they succeed at it.

Well, again, i dont see the gvt as evil, so i cant agree with your assessment that every republican does too.

It all is a function of What is demanded, What is provided, What is spent and on what?

If i want the money spent on military protection, and you want the money spent on socialized medicine.. then how can the gvt be both of us?

I do demand the gvt perform its role more efficiently and fiscally responsible. I do hate the waste. But depending on each of our views on what services are more important, we have differing views on when money is wasted.

You ask why you will pay longer than me. Oh, I don't know, let's look at the numbers. By the end of the year, the National Debt will be $10 Trillion. GDP is roughly $13 Trillion and stagnant. The budget is $3 Trillion, but taxes only bring in $2.6 Trillion. Even John McCain's impossible economic and budget plan predicts deficits until 2013. How long do YOU think it will take to pay this off, especially considering neither candidate is addressing the budget deficit? Let me put in personal terms for you. You and your significant other make $52,000 a year, but you live on $60,000 a year, putting the other $8,000 on credit cards. You've already run up $200,000 in debt prior to this year. Is that a problem? How will you get out of this dilemma? How long will it take? Does taking a $600 cash advance on your maxed out credit card make you HAPPY?

You didnt answer the question.... We will each be paying taxes based on our income for as long as we live.. no more, no less.... it isnt dependent on if there is a surplus or deficit.

I dont have to pay off the entire deficit.. neither do you... we have 100 million people to help us.

As for your personal example.. say that happened... either I pay more or spend less or both in the future. And it might take awhile, so.. ? Of course being in debt isnt a happy situation... but why was I in debt? Was it for something I needed? What services did i gain that resulted in that debt ? Was it worth it ?

I'm not arguing for being in debt. Nor have i argued against paying taxes.

We both want the gvt to spend wisely.. we both have differing views on which services provided would be considered wise and which would be considered wasteful.

Ultimately, the stimulus checks are what, 300 million : 100 trillion, .00003% of our deficit.. and it makes people, even the whiners, a little bit more financially secure, even if for a fleeting moment, in these economic trouble times... brief security and piece of mind.... just another service provided.

In fact, as a conservative, I get mad at those that benefit from those services without paying for them.

This cannot be true, since nowhere in your response did you ever express outrage...or even a mild annoyance...at the $4.3 TRILLION your Republican president has spent over what the government is taking in. This is why you are not a conservative, and because a majority of Americans think like you, this is why we will do nothing about it until we sustain a financial catastrophe. But, hey at least you got a check.

EDIT: Oh, and what the hell are these numbers...

Ultimately, the stimulus checks are what, 300 million : 100 trillion, .00003% of our deficit..

Try $300 billion out of a $424 billion deficit this year and $440 billion next year. 34.7% of our 2008-2009 deficits.

Is your church you? Is your alumni association you?

Nope. I'm an non-degreed atheist .

If you're a exxon stockholder, do you not still owe for the service provided even if .0001 cents will eventually find its way back into your pocket? Are you Exxon ?

Huh?

Of the people, by the people, for the people - And to you that equals the gvt is the people ?

I see that its of the people, its made up of those that its meant to represent.

I see by the people, its the brainchild of the people it represents.

I see for the people, its meant to serve those it represents.

I dont see that once its Of you, By you, and For you, that it Becomes you.

The government didn't become me. I (and you) make the government. We make it every time we pay taxes, follow laws and go one more day without rising up in rebellion.

My church vestry isnt me... My alumni association board of directors isnt me.

Those are of, by, and for the people too.... but they arent 'the people'..

Yah.. i do see it as created by me, for me... but its isnt me.

Fine. None of the government's money is your money. Some of it is my money. You're welcome, OK?

Apparently I've paid for more of it than you have, and apparently I've given you back some of the money we paid in. A little gratitude would be nice.

Given that you're going to vote for someone who wants to take even more of my money, you'll get no gratitude from me.

This cannot be true, since nowhere in your response did you ever express outrage...or even a mild annoyance...at the $4.3 TRILLION your Republican president has spent over what the government is taking in. This is why you are not a conservative, and because a majority of Americans think like you, this is why we will do nothing about it until we sustain a financial catastrophe. But, hey at least you got a check.

EDIT: Oh, and what the hell are these numbers...

Try $300 billion out of a $424 billion deficit this year and $440 billion next year. 34.7% of our 2008-2009 deficits.

The stimulus checks arent going to anyone that hasn't paid taxes... anyone who received one already paid their club dues and are getting an extra service out of those dues.

You're right.. some of that 4.3 trillion has been spent on services.. some of those services have been enjoyed by those that dont pay for the right to benefit from them... That part makes me mad.

Just the fact that there is a deficit has little to do with non-taxpayers benefiting from the services.

Numbers - Yeah, I messed up.. but so did you.

300 Billion ? ... I've just read 4 articles looking for the cots that estimate the stimulus package anywhere from 120 B to 167B... we'll take the average at 230 B.

... out of 4.3 trillion Net debt incurred by Bush.

... equals 5% of Bush's deficit. ... we were both pretty far off.

Does $10 Trillion (National Debt when Bush leaves office) versus $5.7 Trillion (National Debt when Bush took office) sound like more?

You're right.. some of that 4.3 trillion has been spent on services.. some of those services have been enjoyed by those that dont pay for the right to benefit from them... That part makes me mad.

Just the fact that there is a deficit has little to do with non-taxpayers benefiting from the services.

You mean like college kids?

Archived