Any good farmer's markets inside the loop (or near)?

We've been to the market on Richmond at Eastside, and also that mini-market they do at Onion Creek on Saturdays, but there HAS to be something bigger and better in a city this size. Those are tiny to put it mildly. I'm sure there are more way out in places like Hempstead or Richmond, but I'm looking for one inner loop or at least not too far out. Doesn't have to be on weekends, whenever is good.

There's one in Midtown, and one in the Rice stadium parking lot, and one at Discovery Green too. You're going to have to do some googling to find the times and dates though...

Don't even waste your time with the one in the T'afia parking lot (midtown) or Rice or Disco Green. If you've been to the others, you've already discovered that what Houston calls a farmer's market is a tiny and sad excuse, filled up mainly with cheese people, jams, (not food!! merely a condiment!!) homemade hippie clothes for babies, but hardly anything in the way of actual produce. OK, maybe one person selling eggplant.

If you happen to see someone selling watermelons or peaches off the back of a truck, stop, and pretend it's a market and not a beater '82 Dodge.

It's always been like this. One of the (few) things I really dislike about Houston. Caninos is ok but nothing you can't get at Fiesta or HEB. Otherwise, go out to Hempstead or the Richmond area; there are a couple of farm/market operations. Strictly seasonal and the popular crops go fast. There's a guy in Richmond with purple hull peas in late spring, and he's literally sold out within 2 weekends.

Sorry for being long winded. Just a gripe of mine!

It's always been like this. One of the (few) things I really dislike about Houston. Caninos is ok but nothing you can't get at Fiesta or HEB. Otherwise, go out to Hempstead or the Richmond area; there are a couple of farm/market operations. Strictly seasonal and the popular crops go fast. There's a guy in Richmond with purple hull peas in late spring, and he's literally sold out within 2 weekends.

Sorry for being long winded. Just a gripe of mine!

I strongly disagree.

I consistently find things at Canino's (and the farmers market) behind it that you can't find at any other store in town. This summer, it's been cream peas, purple hull peas, summer (patty) squash, green tomatoes, 1015 onions and fresh beets (with the greens still attached!). You can also get fresh mustard greens, turnip greens, Swiss chard, etc. which can be found in grocery stores, but not often and not as high quality. Their other fruit and vegetables are very fresh and -- best of all -- very affordable. They've also got a great selection of nuts, seeds and herbs. I've loaded up the back of my car and never spent more than $35.

In the back, the farmers market has super cheap produce and all kinds of (mostly Central American) herbs, spices and peppers that are hard to find elsewhere. It's pretty easy to find the stalls where the goods are homegrown instead of trucked or flown in. Just shop at those and you'll be fine.

Check out this post for more info and pictures.

And FYI, the farmers market in Discovery Green is only on Thursday afternoons right now. They might expand the hours depending on its popularity. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions, at least there are a few we can try out. Even if they aren't the biggest, maybe we'll find one with a few things we enjoy that we can regularly pick up. And maybe once a year or so drive out to the sticks for the real thing.

One of the very few things I miss about Houston is the Farmer's Market on Airline. Austin doesn't have anything to compare to it, either. HEB and WalMart are the only choices we have here in Bastrop. But, they'll do.

There's a sign at the 59 Feeder and Kirby that points west to a "Farmers Market." Does anyone know about this one?

Edit: I found it. Anyone been to it? 2oth is the one you went too?

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:z5k0Q...us&ie=UTF-8

That's the Bayou City Farmers Market, run by Urban Harvest. It's the same one that 20thStDad mentioned earlier. :)

Here's a pretty comphrensive listing of local farmers markets, if y'all are interested:

So Fresh and So Green

We have markets all over town! :D

• 1 month later...
I went to one last weekend. It was north of Cavalcade on the east side of Airline. I admit that I went for a torta on a taco truck in the back, but it was there and plenty of people there.

here it is, right between Service and Sylvester road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=16

That one has been there forever! Real Houston history.

There were a few mentions of it in past topics. You could be everything from watermelon to baby chicks and rabbits at one time. It seemed to huge when strolling thru as a kid. Now thats a miracle its still there! :o:)

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble here, but you probably aren't going to find much, if anything, different at DiOrio's in Hempstead or any other farmer's market out in the "country" than you would find at Canino's. I'm in the wholesale produce business, and I'm familiar with where these companies procure their merchandise. Canino's will buy as much local produce as possible, and then fill in with merchandise from California/Arkansas/Florida/Mexico/Offshore. The stalls behind Canino's are going to be independants that probably bring in much of their merchandise from Mexico (cactus, mangoes, hot peppers, etc), and from the other, larger, wholesalers in the market.

That one has been there forever! Real Houston history.

There were a few mentions of it in past topics. You could be everything from watermelon to baby chicks and rabbits at one time. It seemed to huge when strolling thru as a kid. Now thats a miracle its still there! :o:)

Exactly. That's Canino's, my friend. LOVE Canino's; always have. :D

P.S. If you still want to buy baby chicks and rabbits and you live inside the loop (or even if you don't), you need to visit Wabash Feed Store on Washington Ave. They've also got gardening supplies, great soil and fertilizers, plants, herbs, fruit trees, vegetables (to grow, not to eat...yet), yard accessories, pet food and toys, random antiques, chickens, ducks, roosters, etc. Best. Store. EVER.

I strongly disagree.

I consistently find things at Canino's (and the farmers market) behind it that you can't find at any other store in town. This summer, it's been cream peas, purple hull peas, summer (patty) squash, green tomatoes, 1015 onions and fresh beets (with the greens still attached!). You can also get fresh mustard greens, turnip greens, Swiss chard, etc. which can be found in grocery stores, but not often and not as high quality. Their other fruit and vegetables are very fresh and -- best of all -- very affordable. They've also got a great selection of nuts, seeds and herbs. I've loaded up the back of my car and never spent more than $35.

In the back, the farmers market has super cheap produce and all kinds of (mostly Central American) herbs, spices and peppers that are hard to find elsewhere. It's pretty easy to find the stalls where the goods are homegrown instead of trucked or flown in. Just shop at those and you'll be fine.

Check out this post for more info and pictures.

And FYI, the farmers market in Discovery Green is only on Thursday afternoons right now. They might expand the hours depending on its popularity. ^_^

Went to Canino's this morning, it was awesome. We'll be going back for sure. Even hit the bakery across the street, also a great suggestion. Thanks for the tips on the new spot!

• 4 weeks later...
I wish there was a farmers market roasting green chile's this weekend.. Hatch chile roasting ended last week at Central Market and I missed it...

chuy's sells already roasted hatch chiles during hatch chile season by the pound. call them and see if they still have them. buy a pound or two. save some of them in the freezer to use throughout the year.

Archived