Continental Airlines

VicMan

HBJ Link

Continental Airlines Inc. on Wednesday unveiled its revamped Terminal C at its Houston hub and announced plans for new nonstop service from Houston to Auckland, New Zealand starting in 2011.

Pending government approval, Houston-based Continental (NYSE: CAL) said it will begin offering nonstop Boeing 787 flights to Auckland on Nov. 16, 2011, making it just one of three carriers offering nonstop flights between North America and New Zealand.

Read more: Continental reopens Terminal C, plans service from IAH to New Zealand - Houston Business Journal

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 744 would be overkill for this flight. Even a 772 might be too much. The 788 was designed for long and thin routes, such as this. Too bad for Boeing and UA/CO (and me). I was hoping that my wife and would be able to fly this next year.

A 744 would be overkill for this flight. Even a 772 might be too much. The 788 was designed for long and thin routes, such as this. Too bad for Boeing and UA/CO (and me). I was hoping that my wife and would be able to fly this next year.

Oh, I don't disagree that it's overkill, I just they have to get the route going in some capacity or risk losing the slot. I hope that Boeing gets the kinks worked out and the 788 makes into service quickly. I'd love to see more long & thin routes.

Oh, I don't disagree that it's overkill, I just they have to get the route going in some capacity or risk losing the slot. I hope that Boeing gets the kinks worked out and the 788 makes into service quickly. I'd love to see more long & thin routes.

I don't even think the 772 has the range capability, in terms of diversion time rules, etc. That had been mentioned by someone an airliners.net. I hope Boeing gets the kinks worked out quickly too. Setbacks happen (A380), and at least these problems are happening before frames are flying, instead of after they've had them delivered.

I don't even think the 772 has the range capability, in terms of diversion time rules, etc. That had been mentioned by someone an airliners.net. I hope Boeing gets the kinks worked out quickly too. Setbacks happen (A380), and at least these problems are happening before frames are flying, instead of after they've had them delivered.

A 772 could do it but it would be significantly weight restricted. A 744 could do it with few or no problems (but is overkill on the route).

They could route it via LAX but would then be competing directly with Air NZ. The LAX-AKL route avoids ETOPs 180 though and could be run with a 772.

• The title was changed to Continental Airlines
  • The title was changed to Continental WTF?

Archived