Random Thoughts: Air Condition Unit On Roof, Strenthening Foundation For 2nd Floor

Okay, if you would look to see all the random questions I post on this forum, ...sheesh.

This is my place to think aloud and brainstorm with the experts (or at least, people who know more about home repair than I do).

Okay. My yard (if you want to call it that) is challenged so I am thinking of ways to create more usable space in the backyard. Of course, a tankless water heater is #1 on my list but my ugly air conditioning unit "thing" also takes up space and is noisy. I was wondering if there was a way to make some kind of structure and have it on the roof...away from the yard. Would that be problematic?

And second,...I want to do an addition but basically have no yard and don't want to spend that much money. I made an assumption that adding a second floor would require more money than just adding an addition and would require some foundation work. And this is potentially a really stupid question but if I were to add a second floor to only part of the house, would only that part of the house's foundation need to be reinforced? or is it more complicated than I am thinking?

Okay. My yard (if you want to call it that) is challenged so I am thinking of ways to create more usable space in the backyard. Of course, a tankless water heater is #1 on my list but my ugly air conditioning unit "thing" also takes up space and is noisy. I was wondering if there was a way to make some kind of structure and have it on the roof...away from the yard. Would that be problematic?

Similar issue here. Actually, replace yard with patio and we have the same predicament - well, my big ol' unit takes up ~1/4 of my back patio, which would make for a nice outdoor area if not for the A/C. I believe my unit is original to my townhouse (1984), which seems pretty old for a functioning A/C unit. I doubt it is all that efficient, so I've been considering replacing with a slimmer unit (assuming they exist), or placing on the roof. There's a pretty good place 2 stories up from the current location...but I guess the expert could decide on placement. Also, I'm assuming if I were considering having the roof re-shingled somewhat soon, would it be best to go ahead and do that first?

Not to get too off topic here, but would it be best to use one contractor for all planned work? Roof, A/C, replacing some rotted siding, etc...

Well, I have both my units on the roof of my home, which is a flat roof, and is prone to ponding since the units create a concentrated load. I think the issue is whether your roof can withstand it, not your foundation.

My house was originally design to have them on the roof.

Most of the AC units in California are on th eroof, which I always thought strange given the earthquakes and the requirement to use a crane for installation. I prefer the ground, but it's not hard to build a metal frame to put the unit on the roof.

Okay, if you would look to see all the random questions I post on this forum, ...sheesh.

This is my place to think aloud and brainstorm with the experts (or at least, people who know more about home repair than I do).

And second,...I want to do an addition but basically have no yard and don't want to spend that much money. I made an assumption that adding a second floor would require more money than just adding an addition and would require some foundation work. And this is potentially a really stupid question but if I were to add a second floor to only part of the house, would only that part of the house's foundation need to be reinforced? or is it more complicated than I am thinking?

Run the numbers on this... I would not add on, or build up. I would SELL. And just buy a bigger place. If you're adding a second story, you're doubling the load on your foundation. If it is a slab, you can forget about reinforcing it. With all the headache... I would just sell and buy something bigger. Just my thoughts... your situation may be that you can't sell...

Most of the AC units in California are on th eroof, which I always thought strange given the earthquakes and the requirement to use a crane for installation. I prefer the ground, but it's not hard to build a metal frame to put the unit on the roof.

The a/c units in California are mostly evaportive cooling systems (swamp coolers as we call them). They need to be on the roof to function. Water is pumped to the unit and runs down a coil that has a fan that blows air through this coil. The air coming out the other side of the coil is cooler due to the evaporated water it contains. This cooler air is ducted through out the house. A very simple system, but it will not work in our humid climate. We have to use refrigeration to cool our air.

You could have a contractor build you a platform onto your roof. Although, I would check with the HOA before doing so, as they may frown upon having an A/C unit on top. But, if it isn't ont he front of the house it may work out. You are going to have to reroute all your condensor lines and such. It ain't gonna be cheap. Look at about $1000 to $2000 for this job to be done RIGHT ! OOOOoooooorrr, you could have the contractor build the platform up high out to the side of the house on the wall and you won't have to reroute lines too much. The main reason they are put on the ground is so that A/C repair guys can gain access to them easier.

Edited by TJones

The a/c units in California are mostly evaportive cooling systems (swamp coolers as we call them). They need to be on the roof to function. Water is pumped to the unit and runs down a coil that has a fan that blows air through this coil. The air coming out the other side of the coil is cooler due to the evaporated water it contains. This cooler air is ducted through out the house. A very simple system, but it will not work in our humid climate. We have to use refrigeration to cool our air.

That's partially true. We lived in Bakersfield for a while, and many of the houses in the blue collar neighborhoods had swamp coolers. All the other parts of town had regular AC units on the roof. Everyone we knew in LA had AC's on the roof as well. Our house had a 4 ton AC on the roof. The rood was wood shingle, another thing that surprised me, given th epropensity for pieces of the state to burn with regularity.

That may not be true. If you have your original foundation design that you could submit to an engineer, you could probably get a quick answer. It also depends on the soil conditions around the home. Is the foundation currently in good condition?

That may not be true. If you have your original foundation design that you could submit to an engineer, you could probably get a quick answer. It also depends on the soil conditions around the home. Is the foundation currently in good condition?

I live in a 1920's bungalow in the Heights. I'm sure the foundation could use some work, but the house is sound...slight sloping in some areas of the house but nothing that you really notice. When I got the house inspected, the guy said that this was normal for a house that old and nothing to be overly concerned about. (I hope he was right.)

I live in a 1920's bungalow in the Heights. I'm sure the foundation could use some work, but the house is sound...slight sloping in some areas of the house but nothing that you really notice. When I got the house inspected, the guy said that this was normal for a house that old and nothing to be overly concerned about. (I hope he was right.)

You didn't mention the house was block and beam. In that case, reinforcing the foundation for a second floor will be child's play compared to what it would take with a slab.

• The title was changed to Random Thoughts: Air Condition Unit On Roof, Strenthening Foundation For 2nd Floor