Million Dollar Bash

Ooh Baby, Ooh wee! Have you noticed the proliferation of $1M+ new homes going up in the area around W. Alabama and Mandell? At the SW corner of Mandell and Marshall, a completed home that's been listed at $1.3M for over a year. Now a new construction going up across the street, same list price. And two recent teardowns on Harold just north of W. Alabama; one at the corner of Harold and Mandell and one just down the street on Harold. Neither lot has started construction yet, but both are listed on HAR at over $1.2M. Ooh, Baby! Where do they think we are, River Oaks?

Ooh Baby, Ooh wee! Have you noticed the proliferation of $1M+ new homes going up in the area around W. Alabama and Mandell? At the SW corner of Mandell and Marshall, a completed home that's been listed at $1.3M for over a year. Now a new construction going up across the street, same list price. And two recent teardowns on Harold just north of W. Alabama; one at the corner of Harold and Mandell and one just down the street on Harold. Neither lot has started construction yet, but both are listed on HAR at over $1.2M. Ooh, Baby! Where do they think we are, River Oaks?

I've indeed noticed! I live closer to Woodhead, but we've seen a proliferation of townhouses. $725K for a townhouse on Colquitt? $550K each for 4 townhouses on ONE original lot on Woodhead? I wonder how long these babies will be on the market? Interesting that they're continuing to build those $1M+ houses, even though one has sat for over a year

I honestly have a hard time imagining buying a $725K townhouse, when that would get you something more substantial in better areas. Then again, I can't afford a $725K anything, so what do I know?

I've come up with a term to describe this unfortunate style of architiecture.

Neo-Kinky: Resembling, or inspired by the artwork of Thomas Kinkade. Characterized by saccharin sentimentality, a confused, anachronistic mish-mash of architectural styles, and unconvincing faux 'natural' materials.

I've come up with a term to describe this unfortunate style of architiecture.

Neo-Kinky: Resembling, or inspired by the artwork of Thomas Kinkade. Characterized by saccharin sentimentality, a confused, anachronistic mish-mash of architectural styles, and unconvincing faux 'natural' materials.

Ha! That's funny, we posted at the same time. I call these Carmela Specials, for the nouveau not-quite-riche who like faux mediterranean mixed with a little of everything, but 'not too rustic' and all the fixtures come from the 'spensive end of the same Lowes vendor catalog.

Neo Kinky -- that is great.

This is so nasty I don't even know where to start. And someone will buy it eventually and call it their home. It's sad to see the old neighborhood go. Townhomes or McMansions, take your pick. Ugh.

Well it could be worse. The garage could be right in the front of the house. To me those are the worst offenders and I never understood it. Builders even did that in the Woodlands, when the lots were more than big enough to have them in the back, detached. And we are talking homes over a million that did that up there as well.

When did people start to think that a metal garage door was a thing of beauty to put on the front of the house?

Townhomes or McMansions, take your pick.

Tough choice... It is sad seeing some of those old neighborhoods go, but it doesn't hurt so much in areas like on W Main near Hazard where you have a plethora of old, run down multi-family structures. I've seen a couple of houses go that had some potential, though

Well it could be worse. The garage could be right in the front of the house. To me those are the worst offenders and I never understood it. Builders even did that in the Woodlands, when the lots were more than big enough to have them in the back, detached. And we are talking homes over a million that did that up there as well.

When did people start to think that a metal garage door was a thing of beauty to put on the front of the house?

I agree. I'll take townhomes or McMansions any day over the cookie cutter garage-fronted stucco/brick boringness that is all they build now in Baton Rouge where I'm from. Houston has it way better.

And I'd take the townhomes and/or McMansions over things like the Guild Shop ladies ripping down a nice brick complex for surface parking!

That said, the best thing about these are that it does signal that Central Houston is still a very desireable place to live. Things could be worse... like no development action at all ala Detroit, Buffalo, St Louis, etc...

Just for reference, this is what went in at 1603 Marshall:

9ixp5g.jpg

Do the architects who design these really like what they are doing, or do they just think "It's what the market demands, and I need a paycheck." Or is it an inside joke to see who can design the most aesthetically catastrophic house and sell it?

The windows up the stair to the turret are a nice touch. I guess anyone who needs to ascend the tower to save Rapunzel can look out the window on the way to see if any evil knights, dragons, or witches are approaching.

But maybe I'm being to harsh. Could this be a nod to the legendary Witch Hat house that used to be on Fannin?

But maybe I'm being to harsh. Could this be a nod to the legendary Witch Hat house that used to be on Fannin?

I doubt that whomever designed this house even knows what you're talking aobut, or that there used to be houses on Fannin, period.

Bad taste knows no bounds, so neither should harsh judgment, right?

Just what it the deal with the turrets! ?

The windows up the stair to the turret are a nice touch. I guess anyone who needs to ascend the tower to save Rapunzel can look out the window on the way to see if any evil knights, dragons, or witches are approaching.

Well, my 5 year old daughter thinks the turrets are beautiful. She reminds me of this every time we drive by another one & I gripe about it. There's a house near us, though, that has a tower instead of a turret. It really looks like it should have cannons aimed out of it. You know, in case the knights, dragons, or witches show up.

There's another kingdom under construction on Portsmouth - don't tell me this is actually spreading?

It looks to be a whole pod of these charmers......

ugh, omg, I clicked on the realtor's page. Or should I say, The Bez. You can count on her team!

But there's no 'magical retreat' for the poor schlup who buys the unit without the turret. They'll have to settle for a mere old-world experience.

It looks to be a whole pod of these charmers......

ugh, omg, I clicked on the realtor's page. Or should I say, The Bez. You can count on her team!

But there's no 'magical retreat' for the poor schlup who buys the unit without the turret. They'll have to settle for a mere old-world experience.

He'll have a mean case of turret envy, for sure.

Funny...all this bashing of the turret house (1603 Marshall), and it's now no longer on the market (no "for sale" signs in front, and no longer listed on har.com). Presumably it's now been sold...someone wanted that spiral staircase...took long enough to sell though...had been on the market for well over a year....

Now on to bigger and better (or at least more modern) new $1M homes in the neighborhood. Check this one out, two blocks away at Harold and Mandell, going for a cool $1,329,000 (though construction hasn't yet started): http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

And just down the street, looks like the same builder, suggested retail price of only $1,319,000 (though again, construction hasn't yet started...): http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

• The title was changed to Million + Dollar Bash
  • The title was changed to Million Dollar Bash