A Bike Ride Through Houston

With the weather so beautiful, I decided to take my son out for a bike ride and we took a bunch of photos along the way. I'm using Ofoto so just follow the link! I've inserted descriptions where I can...

I was unable to figure out how to post pics to the site...perhaps someone can help?

Midtown Pics 3/12/2005 - JUST CLICK ON VIEW PHOTOS - you do not need to sign in or set up an account with ofoto

Guest danax

Thanks for the over-the-handlebar tour of Midtown. It looks like there's plenty of construction going on, and even though there will be a huge apartment complex on the "superblock", which I agree is less than what the imagination would expect from such a location, it will add to the population density and will force even more retail to arise from vacant lots and old, obsolete commercial spots, even if some of it is plain old suburbia stuff like Walgreens.

Baldwin Park. The city's most awesome oaks. Great to see the restoration. I stopped by with my son today and that old fountain that is in that old postcard on the Elizabeth Baldwin Park post is inscribed with a name of a teen that apparently died at 16; 1896-1912, and I cannot remember her name, last name was Allen, maybe Christine? Maybe related to the original Allens?

As Midtown continues to get filled in, one of these days some bold developer is going to cross the Tuam freeway bridge and put something up on the other side. The skyline views from the southeast are unique and, since that is the most likely area of downtown to expand, the views will be constantly changing.

Thanks for the pics! I see that the Camden development will be better than I expected. One things get going in MT, its going to be awesome!

Thanks for the pics!  I see that the Camden development will be better than I expected.  One things get going in MT, its going to be awesome!

The Camden rendition is quite impressive actually. It shows clearly a mixed-use concept along with open plaza types of pedestrian areas - it could truly be an amazing focal point for midtown.

I'm going to be on the bike again in the morning with my son - to get a workout and enjoy the weather of course - and I already have a few other areas that I want to take pics of.

It's amazing how many things you see when on a bike, as opposed to driving - the opportunity to stop and glance really allows you to find detail in otherwise overlooked items.

Additionally, I was riding along pacific in the montrose and rode down this small alley like street and saw some unbelievable townhomes - i had no idea that such homes existed in houston - they are marvelous. I'll take pics.

The lofts in the 3rd picture of your second album are called the Rushmore Lofts. Like you said in the caption they are being built by the same people and are very similar to the Elgin/Crawford lofts (Midtown Park Lofts). The two main differences to me is that while the park lofts are open floorplans and have a northeast view of downtown, the rushmore will be closed floorplan with a southeast view of 59.

The lofts in the 3rd picture of your second album are called the Rushmore Lofts. Like you said in the caption they are being built by the same people and are very similar to the Elgin/Crawford lofts (Midtown Park Lofts). The two main differences to me is that while the park lofts are open floorplans and have a northeast view of downtown, the rushmore will be closed floorplan with a southeast view of 59.

Thanks for the data! I noticed that the exterior was green on the rushmore bldg...though the scaffolding is still up so perhaps that's not it's final color?

The view is certainly less desirable, though I'd imagine that those along the southern wing of the building would have a rear window view of downtown...and perhaps those on the eastern wing of the building would have a blocked view of downtown.

This neighborhood in midtown seems to be filling in a bit.

Another note - I noticed a lot of bike traffic in midtown today...i like seeing that!

Another note - I noticed a lot of bike traffic in midtown today...i like seeing that!

hey next saturday they are having the Tour de Houston. It is a 20 or 40 mile (depending on route) trek through houston. begins at 7:30 for 20 mile and 7:45 for 40 mile. It begins and ends in front of city hall. registration is $25 priot to and $35 the day of the event. the flyer i got said to look at www.houstonspecialevents.org

Remember now on Saturdays they charge money to park so the slower you ride, the more money the city makes!! They'll stick it to you one way or another!

I remember seeing that loft building when I was on the freeway earlier this week. Pretty cool. Thanks for the pics again, midtown_resident!

Oh, and another thing..could you please take a close-up pic of that camden sign? That would be cool! Thanks!

Archived