Will Somebody Please Shut Those Borders?

pineda

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rice: Terrorists Trying to Enter U.S.

Thu Mar 10, 4:47 PM ET White House - AP

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

MEXICO CITY - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Thursday that al-Qaida and other terrorist groups are doing everything they can to get into the United States through Mexico and Canada.

Rice, on her first trip to Mexico since taking over at the State Department, in late January, echoed concerns raised by government officials in congressional testimony last month about the motives of the terrorist network blamed for the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Indeed we have from time to time had reports about al-Qaida trying to use our southern border but also trying to use our northern border," Rice told reporters. "There is no secret that al-Qaida will try to get into this country and into other countries by any means they possibly can. "That's how they managed to do it before and they will do everything that they can to cross the borders," she said.

Recent intelligence from current investigations, detentions and other sources suggests that al-Qaida has considered using the Southwest border to infiltrate the United States, according to testimony from a top Homeland Security Department official last month before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

"Several al-Qaida leaders believe operatives can pay their way into the country through Mexico, and also believe illegal entry is more advantageous than legal entry for operational security reasons," James Loy, deputy secretary at the time, said in his testimony.

Rice made the one-day trip to Mexico to meet with President Vicente Fox (news - web sites) and Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez. Emerging from her meeting with Derbez, Rice announced that the two countries had settled a decades-old, cross-water debt.

Mexico will transfer enough water to the United States to cover a debt that Texas has claimed that Mexico has owed under a 1944 treaty. That water-sharing pact requires Mexico to send the United States an average of 350,000 acre-feet of water annually from six Rio Grande tributaries. The United States in return must send Mexico 1.5 million acre feet from the Colorado River.

"I'm delighted that we have been able to reach this understanding," Rice said.

Rice also was announcing a $10 million grant to support the expansion of a Mexican program that provides citizens with banking services and small business loans.

Rice said progress has been made in securing the border since Sept. 11, 2001. But she also said the United States is obligated to alert its citizens of concerns.

"We and the Mexicans have a robust dialogue about border security, and I believe we're going to continue to have that," she said. "This is not a matter of pointing fingers. This is a matter of really trying to get the best possible coordination and work that we can so that there's safety for citizens in both countries, on both sides of the border."

She said Washington does not support vigilante groups that are recruiting volunteers to patrol the border for undocumented Mexican crossers.

President Bush (news - web sites)'s former national security adviser faced a diplomatic test in her first visit to Mexico. She discussed with Derbez immigration, border issues, free trade and economic growth.

Recently, Mexican politicians have accused the Bush administration of interfering with Mexico's internal affairs. They have denounced U.S. officials' comments about human rights abuses, drug trafficking and possible election related instability.

Mexico was angered by a recent U.S. travel warning for Americans going to Mexico's northern border. Yet both Rice and Derbez praised relations in a news conference.

Mexican officials called the atmosphere one of friendship and cooperation. Rice spoke of "a close neighbor and friend" and said the neighbors "shared a partnership of prosperity."

(story found on www.littlegreenfootballs.com)

I'm conservative and I support President Bush a lot, but immagration is one area that I completely disagree on.

We should solve our southern border issues the same way Mexico solves there southern border with Central America issues. Mexco flys helicopters and has armed militias that gather everyone up, throw them into a truck and drop them off on the other side of the border.

Its funny how Mexico bitches that we don't treat there ILLEGAL aliens fair but turn around and quickly deport with no questions ask people that ILLEGALLY imagrate into there country.

Furthermore, the Mexican government actually publishes pamphlets that instruct there own citizens how to illegally immigrate to the US and how to get around border patrols and authorities. Mexico's real reason for doing this is that many ILLEGALS send US dollars back to Mexico which are highly vallued and pumped back into there economy.

US officials need to start enforcing their own laws and stop treating ILLEGALS like they were citizens. And the politically correct term of "undocumented immagrant" needs to stop. This just gets people to adjust and not deal with the fact that these people are ILLEGAL.

We should solve our southern border issues the same way Mexico solves their southern border with Central America issues. Mexico flys helicopters and has armed militias that gather everyone up, throw them into a truck and drop them off on the other side of the border.

Furthermore, the Mexican government actually publishes pamphlets that instruct there own citizens how to illegally immigrate to the US and how to get around border patrols and authorities. Mexico's real reason for doing this is that many ILLEGALS send US dollars back to Mexico which are highly vallued and pumped back into there economy.

Can any of what you've written here actually be true?

I read from links on Drudgereport. I'll have to pull them out again. I didn't believe much of it when I was reading it either, but that afternoon it was talked about on a discussion show on PBS.

I lived and grew up in Louisiana most of my life. I've visited Dallas and Houston and heard about there issues with immigrants along with Texas itself. Now, after living here for three years, I have gotten some of the full effect of it. I'm hearing a lot of discussions on this issue and now as a resident here in Houston I'm understanding what the people here have been going through.

Here it is from the source.  The Mexican Government:

http://www.sre.gob.mx/tramites/consulares/...nte/default.htm

I had some of my spanish speaking friends just read this and they told me that it is just a brochure explaining that if they do plan to immigraste to the US then what out for people trying to take advantage of them.

MEXICO CITY - The Mexican government is giving out a colorful new comic book with advice for migrants, but immigration-control advocates worry that some of the tips may encourage illegal border crossers.

The 32-page book, The Guide for the Mexican Migrant, was published in December by Mexico's Foreign Ministry. Using simple language, the book offers safety information for border crossers, a primer on their legal rights and advice on living unobtrusively in the United States.

Dramatic drawings show undocumented immigrants wading into a river, running from the U.S. Border Patrol and crouching near a hole in a border fence. On other pages, they hike through a desert with rock formations reminiscent of Arizona and are caught by a stern-faced Border Patrol agent. advertisement

"This guide is intended to give you some practical advice that could be of use if you have made the difficult decision to seek new work opportunities outside your country," the book says....

...The book is being distributed as a free supplement to El Libro Vaquero, a popular cowboy comic book, in five Mexican states that send many migrants to the United States: Zacatecas, Michoac

• 2 weeks later...

What sucks is that no politician whether Democrat or Republicn, or Liberal or Conservative has the balls to handle this issue. Anyone who attempt to close the borders and deport any illegals will be branded a racist and anit-human right. The problem is that we could just be enforcing our immagration laws.

The other problem is that the majority of this US has not been really affected by this issue like Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California.

Nevada and Lousiana are also starting to see it. I know in Louisiana this issue is not a big one so illegals are sneaking over from Texas to Louisiana to bypass the problems that they may inccur in the border states. THe sad part is Louisiana has lots fo construction and naval shipyard jobs that pay quite well, but people in Louisiana don't want to or are not reliable to perform those jobs. The illegals will work these jobs and not just walk off the site. They are actually hard workers too. Eventually Louisiana will be in the same boat as Texas and will have to make some decisions.

When we bring home the Marines from Iraq, maybe we need to send them to the border.  That should be interesting.

The only way this would work is if we transferred them all to the National Guard then put them on the border? The way the Constitution is written we can only use the National Guard for domestic disputes. The US militaries job is international disputes. I am all for it myself but I do not see it happening anytime in the near future.

One of the things that we could do to make it harder for the illegals is to make it harder to send money out of the US. Maybe a stiffer tax or percentage. I am not sure how it would work so I will stop there.

Sectors of the Amercian population are becoming much more comfortable with Federal government programs for any of their ills. What ever happen to the concept of the citizen to provide for its own and the Federal government is there for protection from abroad and to control the borders.

Legal immigrants requesting citizenship have to go through a lengthy process and there are quotas to how many people can become citizens in the US every year.

I have two co-workers that are going through this process right now.