Zip Code Change

Fringe

Okay. I'm totally pissed. Yesterday I got a letter from our great US Postal Service saying they are changing my zip code. The one I've had for the last 25 years I have lived in Sugar Land. They claim the change is necessary because of the increase in population and new business. I don’t understand why they don’t just give the newer areas a new zip code. Why pick on an area that’s had the same zip code since they were first issued?

I called the USPS and voiced my complaint but of course that’s useless in an organization that operates in a fog all the time. I figure counting subscriptions, family and friends, catalogs, statements, and everything else, I will have to contact around 100 people about my change of address. I asked the USPS who will pay for all these change of address cards I will have to send out and they told me that it’s my responsibility.

I HATE THE USPS.

Up next, how would you like a new phone number too?

LOL. Got one of those several years ago with the 281 area code addition. I can understand the telephone company running out of phone numbers but don't understand how additional zip codes help anything.

LOL. Got one of those several years ago with the 281 area code addition. I can understand the telephone company running out of phone numbers but don't understand how additional zip codes help anything.

It isn't the 5-digit zip, it's the +4 (denoting blocks, high rises, etc.) that is appended to it. If the USPS runs out of them due to new developments or infill, they need to split the area up. I'm sure the residents of 77098 (Upper Kirby) and 77096 (Westbury/Meyerland) probably weren't always in their respective zip codes and went through the same issue. These things change, and the effect, other than new letterhead and correspondence to creditors, family, etc., should be minimal for residents (and in most cases, you can complete the address change online). Insurance rates, property values, et al, shouldn't be affected.

I'm sure there is a multi-year transition period in affect.

Okay. I'm totally pissed. Yesterday I got a letter from our great US Postal Service saying they are changing my zip code. The one I've had for the last 25 years I have lived in Sugar Land. They claim the change is necessary because of the increase in population and new business. I don’t understand why they don’t just give the newer areas a new zip code. Why pick on an area that’s had the same zip code since they were first issued?

That's funny -- they're doing the same thing here.

My area has always been very logically laid out in terms of ZIP codes: 60601, 60602, 60603... all the way up to 60611 right next to each other. Now suddenly there's going to be a 66257 or something plopped right in the middle of it all. Probably upwards of 300,000 people and businesses will have to change. It only missed me by two blocks!

I wonder if it's part of a national reorganization.

ZIP codes don't bother me much, but I'm a total area code snob. I've never had a phone number that wasn't one of the original 86 NYX codes.

My life has been: 212, 201, 717, 914, 304, 414, 513, 713, 312.

It isn't the 5-digit zip, it's the +4 (denoting blocks, high rises, etc.) that is appended to it. If the USPS runs out of them due to new developments or infill, they need to split the area up.

Wasn't there a plan to for ZIP+4+2? I thought I read something about that.

Maybe we should go alphabetical to free up some ZIP codes. Give 77002 a 77A02 overlay. Or maybe 77002A through 77002Z.

It isn't the 5-digit zip, it's the +4 (denoting blocks, high rises, etc.) that is appended to it.

It's the 5 digit zip that's changing. 77478 to 77498

But you bring up a good point. Wasn't the extra 4 digits supposed to break down the larger 5 digit zips so we wouln't have to add new zip codes?

But you bring up a good point. Wasn't the extra 4 digits supposed to break down the larger 5 digit zips so we wouln't have to add new zip codes?

No, zip+4 gave the machines more precise numbers to use in sorts.

The 5-digit has to change precisely because they are out of 4-digits within 77478.

• The title was changed to Zip Code Change

Archived