Post your home-selling tricks

editor

I've never bought or sold a home, but pretty much everyone I know has in the last couple of years. Or at least they've tried. I'm always amused by the things they try in order to "clinch" the deal.

• My mother buried a religious statue (I forget which saint) upside down in her front yard.
  • A friend of mine always baked cookies just before open houses in order to give her home a "homey" scent.
  • I saw on TV once that people hand out half-gallon containers of ice cream (not the little ones, not the giant ones) to people who come to their open house so that the potential buyers will want to bring the ice cream home before it melts instead of visiting other houses.

Any other tricks you've heard of?

Here's several that were listed in today's Chronicle.

Chron article

I have heard of offers of flat screens, a car, and the usual offers of upgrades. Lowering the selling price is the only that has ever worked on me.

They actually sell those statues at the HAR store on 59.

It's not really a trick, but we try to have all of the lights/fans on in the house if we know we have a showing.

We also put a few febreeze plug ins throughout the house.

flipper

I think the basics are the most important. Clean, clean, clean and get rid of clutter. mulch the flower beds, do what flipper said and turn on the lights and open the blinds. Also important, LEAVE during showings.

I think the basics are the most important. Clean, clean, clean and get rid of clutter. mulch the flower beds, do what flipper said and turn on the lights and open the blinds. Also important, LEAVE during showings.

Price it right, and in most cases you'll sell it.

Easier said than done.

It doesn't matter how much you owe on it, or how much you paid for it, or how much you need for your next home.

I saw a TV show where the sellers were letting potential buyers spend the night in the home, kind of like a car dealer letting you take a 24hr test drive.

CyKat

Edited by CyKat

• 2 weeks later...