Soulja Boy's Effect on Society

Trae

Dr. Dre definitely has musical talent. If you think he doesn't, I challenge you to make anything close to being as musically interesting as "The Chronic".

I never said Dr. Dre doesn't have talent. I only referred to him as one good example of excessive sampling. But it's funny you mention the Chronic as "interesting". How catchy do you think any of those songs would have been had he been forced to create from scratch the harmony to those songs, instead of just ripping-off songs from the 70's?

And that's the point I'm trying to make. With out sampling, rap would be a one-hit wonder that would have never made it mainstream. The same can be said for most of your bubble-gum pop performers pre-fab, processed tracks as well.

Hell, even Nikki Sixx has resorted to sampling on his new album, with the single "Life Is Beautiful".

And do your own research if you're going to make far-fetched claims. I researched the history of sampling for you.

My claim that rap was the first genre to prolifically sample out of necessity stands. Electronica was right on its heels, but I've felt that electronica musicians motives as a whole, were not about making a buck, but rather pushing the limits of new music creation. Rap artists are just the opposite - it's all about making a another buck, just so they can rap about that same buck they just made in their next "borrowed from" hit.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said Dr. Dre doesn't have talent.

Sure you did. I asked for examples of rap producers who create tracks from samples without musical talent. You listed Dr. Dre as one of three.

I only referred to him as one good example of excessive sampling. But it's funny you mention the Chronic as "interesting". How catchy do you think any of those songs would have been had he been forced to create from scratch the harmony to those songs, instead of just ripping-off songs from the 70's?

Who cares? He didn't "rip-off" those songs; he sampled them. It's an honorable art form with roots in Bartok and Mozart. Get over that. (It helped George Clinton's career, too, which was sweet.)

And that's the point I'm trying to make. With out sampling, rap would be a one-hit wonder that would have never made it mainstream. The same can be said for most of your bubble-gum pop performers pre-fab, processed tracks as well.

That's a new point. You were saying it takes no musical talent to create a track from samples. I have no idea what rap would be like without sampling, but I know it wouldn't be the only genre affected.

My claim that rap was the first genre to prolifically sample out of necessity stands. Electronica was right on its heels...

Only if rap was walking backwards.

... but I've felt that electronica musicians motives as a whole, were not about making a buck, but rather pushing the limits of new music creation. Rap artists are just the opposite - it's all about making a another buck, just so they can rap about that same buck they just made in their next "borrowed from" hit.

Some rap artists are all about making a buck. The same is true of "some" of any popular music genre. Rap isn't special in that regard, and you'd know that if you listened to more than the hits.

Wow. I created "Soulja Boy's Effect on Society" as a joke. SB is horrible. That is not rap, and if you think it is, then well, that's you.

And I wanted you to make a beat. You make it seem so easy and that it doesn't take any talent to do. Real rap is original. Some beats may not be, but who cares? They take an old sample and revamp it, while putting their own lines and verses to it. Rap isn't the only genre like this.

It was your avatar that got us to this point Trae. It doesn't take any talent to hold an AK-47, just $1700.

Now FIRING an AK is a different matter.

Archived