It's Saturday -- What's on your grill?

editor

I think we'll do some burgers and roast corn tomorrow night. Still trying to decide if I want to mess with the charcoal grill or cheat and use the gas grill.

I've also been meaning to smoke a pork butt sometime soon and I still have a fresh frozen brisket in the freezer. Maybe that will be next weekend.

Well we just piced up a bunch of crabs from Alex's in Pirates Beach.

Taking my first stab at BBQ Crabs. It's either going to be great or ghastly.

If they are too bad we can always head over to Cyrstal Beach. They are having a Crab Festival today and tomorrow.

Inch thick ribeyes on the grill. Served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and purple hull peas w/ bacon.

Care to post that peas recipe? I've never had purple hull peas.

I just made hamburgers. They didn't come out all that good. The meat was too lean, but it was all they had at the store.

I tried that Heinz organic ketchup. It's pretty good. It's runny, and tastes a little different, but not bad. Just different.

Purple hull peas are kind of like black eyed peas big brother, and a little more purple and green, whereas black-eyeds are more tan.

As much as I can't stand Heinz or Kerry, I love her Ketchup !!! Only the 57 variety will do though, no ORGANIC, that is blasphemy !

Edited by TJones

Today is a rare day off from grilling. Last weekend was a smoked chicken and smoked pork ribs. Tomorrow will either be burgers or steak, depending on the Kroger specials I see. Gas is blasphemy! Grilling should be dirty and smoky.

We boiled crawfish again this weekend. We boiled 2 sacks (about 80 pounds) of jumbos that we got on sale at Cho Saigon for $1.99 a pound!

For all the land-lovers I made grilled Andouille sausage po-boys.

Beers drank: Miller Lite, Shiner Bock, & Dos XX.

Care to post that peas recipe? I've never had purple hull peas.

It is SUPER simple.

Take a good 6-8 strips of bacon and chop it up (preferably the center cut stuff with more meat and less fat), and cook it over low heat until it is just starting to get crispy. Drain 95% of the fat off

To that pan, add the peas (about 4-6 cups, fresh or frozen but not dried), and add water until just covered

Add garlic salt to taste (or you could use real garlic and salt)

Bring to a boil, then dial the heat back to a simmer

Cook until the peas are just starting to get the tinest bit mushy, and have lost that raw flavor, usually 30-45 minutes