Flower Market Square Mixed-Use Development

lockmat

I emailed the very responsive and helpful architect and he said the location for this project was at the Wheeler/Blodgett LRT station. I'm guessing this LINK is the station he was talking about even though the streets do not intersect.

I'm not sure what piece of land it'll be on either. In one of the pictures it looks like it's right next to 59. I'd say it's that old apartment building to the northwest, but I think they recently remodeled it.

http://www.powersbrown.com/projects/urban/flower.htm

flwr18.jpg

flwr17.jpg

flwr12.jpg

flwr19.jpg

flwr13.jpg

flwr16.jpg

I don't like the railings at all, but maybe it'll look different once built. Overall it looks pretty cool and seems very forward thinking.

Edited by lockmat

Their site says 3 blocks. I can't understand at all where though. I like the design very much. Maybe this development will spur Sears to restore their building to it's original deco glory.

Wow, this would be amazing at Wheeler station. Right now, the surrounding area is a bit of a wasteland. So much empty unused/underused land around there.

By the way, your Microsoft Live maps now work in Safari! Yay!

Edited by Jax

That angled building looks a lot like the angled empty lot after you pass under 59.

Whatever happened to the land Metro bough down this way that was going to be mixed use?

These sounds similar.

maybe it's the same thing? He said it's been presented in public many times before.

He also said no date for implementation has been made at this time.

Isn't this more Midtown? Or at least not Downtown proper.

Actually, it's Midtown-Montrose-Museum. I would say that 59 is the boundary for Midtown & Museum and the spur for Montrose & Midtown. So, if it spans 59 it'd be both Midtown-Museum. We could create a new area called MiMoMu. Those angled blocks seem to match the shape of some of the renderings. It would be so cool if the train ran between two buildings. Also, a development like this might help run off the vagrants.

Notice in the renderings that 59 appears to be subterranian. I have read somewhere that eventually it will be. I'm not sure how that will work out for the train.

Edited by rsb320

Seems like some nice fiction to me.

It might be more than fiction. There are several new townhomes going up by Fiesta, lots of established residential to the north, and Venue's crane just went up to the South. Frankly, the more development we can get on our current rail line, the faster we will have more rail coverage throughout the city.

Someone's senior thesis? This is hardly the first time I've seen a similar rendering for this spot. Those parking lots are fetishized by anyone who wants to dream big, modern, and transit oriented. I leased a duplex there for a year, I'm a bit further up in midtown now, but still close.

Edited by woolie