Cool MCM stores in Houston

Bad Juju

I discovered this site off of Lotta Living. My husband and I are the proud owners of a MCM/Atomic Ranch in Austin and will be in Houston this weekend for vacation and to MCM sightsee and shop. Any recommendations for shops to go to for MCM furnishings and decor? I grew up in Spring so I know my way around town pretty well, so I'm intrepid enough to drive just about anywhere! I really appreciate your help, thanks!

-Julie

The lion's share are on Milam, just south of Elgin. There are three I think in that yellow brick center. Sunset settings on Sunset Blvd just west of Kirby has great genuine mod stuff, but it is not vintage. More DWR style. There is also Mid Century Pavilion on Washington just east of Taylor Street, (between Studemont & Houston Ave). Their warehouse store is on Preston in Pasadena. There is also a store, I have not been in yet, somewhere around Shepherd and 59 that has reproductions.

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!

We're looking for just about anything, but especially side tables, lamps, and (maybe if we score a deal), buffets. But I have no clue if we're going to buy anything, we probably shouldn't actually;)

You might also try the Blodgett St. Store, 2609 Blodgett, 713-204-3296. The little stuffed-to-the-gills place is only open Saturday afternoons, but the sweet talkative proprietor specializes in mid-c furniture and has a great eye. Last time I was there, she had arc lights, Knoll chairs, a Saarinen table. Lots of the stuff needs TLC; the hours are funky; and it's off the beaten track. But the prices definitely reflect all that.

There's also the Guild Shop, 2009 Dunlavy, (713)528-5094. It's a consignment shop; selection isn't guaranteed, and again, you might have to do some refinishing or upholstering. But I was in yesterday and saw some great lamps; a kidney-shaped teal sofa; a pair of Danish modern armchairs; and a cheap cheap Emesco aluminum chair.