Cathedral Gateway: Mixed-Use Development

Tried searching for something on this and came up blank so I assume this should be a new topic.

Morris Architects lists a Cathedral Gateway Project which supposedly is 2.6 million SF of mixed use T.O.D including some residential.

Google maps shows this would erase 2.5 blocks of surface parking, but it also shows a substantial garage between the old Sacred Heart and the Metro Bldg that might go too.

No idea how updated their website is or what the potential is for his project being realized.

gallery_1072_87_283164.jpg

Tried searching for something on this and came up blank so I assume this should be a new topic.

Morris Architects lists a Cathedral Gateway Project which supposedly is 2.6 million SF of mixed use T.O.D including some residential.

Google maps shows this would erase 2.5 blocks of surface parking, but it also shows a substantial garage between the old Sacred Heart and the Metro Bldg that might go too.

No idea how updated their website is or what the potential is for his project being realized.

gallery_1072_87_283164.jpg

I find this fascinating. I wish we could get more info. Maybe someone from Morris reading this could enlighten us with something that isn't confidential. Ed?

Fun find. I do notice that the caption to the images says, "This was planned to...", not, "This is planned to". The 902 Jefferson lot above METRO, where the 33 storey building would have gone, is owned by Jefferson Main LLC (77227 zip PO Box 22957), but the block above the Beaconsfield, where the 9 storey donut would go, is owned by Amegy Bank. This project may not have progressed far beyond the conceptual stage. Someone else may be able to get more search-starting information out of http://www.hcad.org/iMaps/Tiles/Color/5357D8.pdf than I can - or, ricco, contact Jefferson Main LLC at their post office box.

Searching the web for that box, by the way, turns up K.B. Hogan LLC, which may or may not be "Management Consulting Services", at (832) 203-6635, AND ALSO, with the same box, 15/21 JAPHET MGMT CORP. An unusually meticulous and great HAIF thread in February tied "15/21 Japhet" to Mike and Zalman Melnik (at the top of this page, replace the showtopic number with 15024 to see it; it's fun). Looking for K.B. Hogan LLC turns up associations with 1011 Wood St., near U of H Downtown, and 414 Pinckney St., on the very near Northside between White Oak Bayou and N. Main. Happy hunting.

I actually was flying by the old Fed building (west bound) when I saw quite a bit of work was being done. The thing that struck me the most was a sign that I barely had a chance to read but it clearly stated "Cathedral Gateway."

I actually was flying by the old Fed building (west bound) when I saw quite a bit of work was being done. The thing that struck me the most was a sign that I barely had a chance to read but it clearly stated "Cathedral Gateway."

so is this thing a go? crazy to think that something like this could completely fly under the radar, but crazier things have happened.

Edited by swtsig

THe renderings look good to me, but why is it called "Cathedral Gateway"? Does it have something to do with the new catholic church over there? Does the development have anything to do with the church, or is it just borrowing the name?

This would really revitalize a fairly dead end of downtown!

Actually, looking at the other renderings included on the project page on the website, it looks like the Cathedral Square proposal from several years back. Maybe they just updated the pages in their portfolio section.

As I recall the Cathedral Square proposal included an actual square adjacent to the cathedral. This seems quite different. Very exciting if this gets built. That part of downtown has been underdeveloped for decades.

• The title was changed to Cathedral Gateway: Mixed-Use Development