The Woodlands Neighbors Face-Off Over Skate Rink

pineda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: So. Montgomery Co. News

Residents press for solutions to noise issues

By BETH KUHLES, Chronicle Correspondent, 03/03/05

Some neighbors in The Woodlands neighborhood of Cascade Canyon feel like they were hit with a slap shot in the face when an in-line hockey rink moved in next door.

"The sound generated by slap shots and the puck hitting the board is a nuisance," Mark and Jan Harper wrote in a letter to the Development Review Committee, an appeals and policy-making board for residential renovations in newer villages.

***Edited to remove copyrighted content ***

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: So. Montgomery Co. News

This article is: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/t...04/news/3063805

• 2 months later...
How is this allowed? I would be furious if I had to live next to that.

I'm surprised too. That is a very nice neighborhood. I sometimes ride my bike through there and gawk at the big houses. A number of local "celebrities" live there. Maybe they have enough pull to get something done soon.

I'm shocked how someone would think things like that are reasonable as a good neighbor.

• 1 month later...

Ohhh... La tee.

who could be so stuck up?

i mean, jeez, it couldnt really be THAT loud to be disturbing. I sleep fine living 2 houses down from a busy railroad track thats busy 24 hours a day because the sound is blocked out by the AC and ceiling fans and the walls, and my house is pretty small. In a huge house, how the heck are you supposed to hear something from inside another building?

reminds of the time when another guy in the woodlands built his kid a roller hockey thing in his backyard with big light standers and the neighbors complained and when he turned off the lights, they continued to complain, citing that it would attract troublesome teens who would come later at night.

in my opinion, unless its something that produces a really horrible smell like a hog farm or something brightly lit and busy 24 hours a day like a super wal mart, you shouldnt make up stuff to nimby something.

And bringing up the Liberal/Conservate thing is just spreading the myth republicans are rich.

Ohhh... La tee.

who could be so stuck up?

i mean, jeez, it couldnt really be THAT loud to be disturbing. I sleep fine living 2 houses down from a busy railroad track thats busy 24 hours a day because the sound is blocked out by the AC and ceiling fans and the walls, and my house is pretty small. In a huge house, how the heck are you supposed to hear something from inside another building?

I know one of the kids that skates at this rink. The family that owns it had a permit, but they built the lights 4" higher than their permit. That is what the angry neighbor and The Woodlands are using as leverage. I was surprised TWA let them do it at all.

As I said before, I think it's being a bad neighbor. Even the father of the kid that skates there twice a week told me that he would not want it next to his own house as it is very loud.

• The title was changed to The Woodlands Neighbors Face-Off Over Skate Rink