Steak 'N Shake Returns To Houston

Anyone know if the Steak 'n' Shake on College Park in the Woodlands is open, or nearly so, yet? Interestingly, in searching the city's permit database I saw permits issued for two more, in ?Cypress? and ?Stafford? Anyone know anything else?

Marty

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if the Steak 'n' Shake on College Park in the Woodlands is open, or nearly so, yet? Interestingly, in searching the city's permit database I saw permits issued for two more, in ?Cypress? and ?Stafford? Anyone know anything else?

Marty

Sounds cheesy, like Shake 'n Bake.

00079cl.gif

haha no kidding

it should be interesting to see how they do here - always liked going to them in the midwest

Yeah, me too. There are now several in the Dallas area. I remember them when they were here in the 70's, one in Webster in particular. But, to get back on topic, what's going on with the Woodlands one? It was announced back in February.

Marty

Marty

Cypress Town Center (Target Center) has had a Steak 'n' Shake on its master plan for two years now, but no movement on the ground yet.

http://www.propertycommerce.com/content-prlist.htm has a map of the property.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Gotta love the shakes there, and those skinny little fries of theirs!

SnS has been in a major expansion mode for some time now, primarily in the Southeast. Speaking of which, I'd love to see some of these Southeastern restaurants come out this way:

Hardee's (yes, they've gotten MUCH better)

Zaxby's (a chicken finger chain)

Bojangles (a Carolina version of Popeyes)

Krystals (I hope I need not explain this one...)

I'm thrilled that Wild Wing Cafe has made its way out here!

Ya know, I rode up & down that friggin road looking for it, and I never found it! I was so dang mad!

That's a bummer. I am really unfamiliar with the area, but coming from Houston proper I just took 45N, exited 1960 and took a left, and it was on the left a few miles down the road.

Yeah, yeah, Krystals this, Hardees that, blah blah blah. And I know that some people think that SnS is total crap cooked by Satan and served by surly apprentice demons. Please, please, please, someone just tell me what's going on with the one in the Woodlands that was announced in Feb '06!

Yeah, yeah, Krystals this, Hardees that, blah blah blah. And I know that some people think that SnS is total crap cooked by Satan and served by surly apprentice demons. Please, please, please, someone just tell me what's going on with the one in the Woodlands that was announced in Feb '06!

aww! well...according to MCAD, Steak n Shake still owns the property...but that might not mean much

http://orion.mcad-tx.org/appraisal/publica...yOwnerID=590898

That's a bummer. I am really unfamiliar with the area, but coming from Houston proper I just took 45N, exited 1960 and took a left, and it was on the left a few miles down the road.

According to b4-u-eat.com, it's at 1623 FM 1960 W. Krystal's website also has a store locator, but I can't seem to get it to work right now.

According to b4-u-eat.com, it's at 1623 FM 1960 W. Krystal's website also has a store locator, but I can't seem to get it to work right now.

Krystal is like a beacon on 1960, which is a scary road to me - i can get there with no problem :D

It's useful that there is a traffic light where you turn in the driveway...

Krystal is like a beacon on 1960, which is a scary road to me - i can get there with no problem :D

It's useful that there is a traffic light where you turn in the driveway...

Last time I ate at Steak n Shake was in Little Rock, Ark. But I remember there being one on FM 1960 near Champions when I was in Jr. High...used to eat at that one too.

I remember they had a Sonic-like drive in.

I think that location became a Grandy's later on.

• 4 months later...
Last time I ate at Steak n Shake was in Little Rock, Ark. But I remember there being one on FM 1960 near Champions when I was in Jr. High...used to eat at that one too.

I remember they had a Sonic-like drive in.

I think that location became a Grandy's later on.

Steak N Shake is going in - for real - at the southeast corner of Eldridge and 1960 (between a car wash and a strip center in front of Target). The corp traded the land with the developer for the Cypress location to this one (about 5miles away). The structure is standing and the sign is in-place. It should be complete early summer.

-Chris

Steak N Shake is going in - for real - at the southeast corner of Eldridge and 1960 (between a car wash and a strip center in front of Target). The corp traded the land with the developer for the Cypress location to this one (about 5miles away). The structure is standing and the sign is in-place. It should be complete early summer.

-Chris

Great news! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...35447&rfi=6

752448620887532x1_043008%20Steak%20N%20Shake_199455_full_M907.jpg

After a three-decade break from the market, one American staple of fast-dining is ready to give the Bayou City another shake.

Famous for their Steakburger sandwiches and hand-dipped milk shakes available 24 hours a day, the Illinois-based diner-style chain restaurant Steak n Shake is firing up its grills again in Houston.

Hmmm...IMO, Steak n Shake's burgers aren't really any better than what you get at Burger King (Whataburger is better, IMO). And, as I recall from having eaten at a Steak n Shake in the past, it's not exactly "fast" food--I've typically had to wait a good 10-15 minutes after placing my order at the counter (the drive thru is even more excruciatingly slooooooooooooooooooow).

Maybe I should give em another try. But, suffice it to say that my Steak n Shake experience has been less than stellar in the past.

Hmmm...IMO, Steak n Shake's burgers aren't really any better than what you get at Burger King (Whataburger is better, IMO). And, as I recall from having eaten at a Steak n Shake in the past, it's not exactly "fast" food--I've typically had to wait a good 10-15 minutes after placing my order at the counter (the drive thru is even more excruciatingly slooooooooooooooooooow).

Maybe I should give em another try. But, suffice it to say that my Steak n Shake experience has been less than stellar in the past.

The Steak-n-Shake in Austin is vastly superior to Burger King or Whataburger. It's a real hamburger and real french fries. It isn't fast food, but that's OK.

The Steak-n-Shake in Austin is vastly superior to Burger King or Whataburger. It's a real hamburger and real french fries. It isn't fast food, but that's OK.

Is the Steak-n-Shake in Austin new?? I lived there through 2005 and thought I had had every burger in town (Players, Huts, Frans, Dans, Dirty's, BurgerTex, etc....)

I welcome a new burger place in NW Harris...P.O.'s is great, but it is really dirty in there (not just old character dirty, but actually kinda filthy...even the walls feel greasy) and after that it is chainsville for burger joints...

Edit:::of course this is another chain....oh well...

I can't say for sure about the Austin SnS, but I thought they came back to Texas in the early 2000's, in the DFW suburbs first. My guess is that it is fairly new, and memebag either went when it had just opened, or he went in the '70s during SnS's first abortive foray into Texas markets.

Archived