Mount Carmel High School At 6700 Mount Carmel Dr.

Hopefully you guys can get a deal like the one that saved O'Connell. IMO the archdiocese should try to get a South Belt/Clear Lake location.

I graduated from Mt. Carmel in 1983 and can say that the education I received from there made me a more rounded person. From this education, I had the interest to go to college and receive a bachelor's degree. I would not be who I am today if it were not for Mt. Carmel.

As a Hispanic from a blue collar family from the East End, Mt. Carmel provided me an alternative education not offered in my zoned school district. And I am not the only one. Many other Hispanic families similar to my background realized the importance of Catholic education. These families would rather spend their incomes on tuition costs for their kids' education than upgrading their lifestyles and move out from the inner-city into the suburbs. Our families had different priorities.

Years ago, there was rumors that Mt. Carmel might move to a different location, a site more centrally located along I-45 in southeast Houston.

Here is a website dedicated to saving this unique school: http://www.savemtcarmel.org/

Edited by VicMan

IMO the archdiocese should try to get a South Belt/Clear Lake location.

Amen to that. :)

A brand spanking new state of the art facility would be in order. I wonder how far one has to go to reach the proper people to have one built? Too bad the Pope didn't stop by Houston on his recent visit to the US. However, there are probably many others in line demanding the same all over the US?

That website is a great start to raise $. Fundraisers are the next step and then? Can Abe Saavadra do anything or is he just HISD concentrated?

plumber2, I heard an interesting related story from my mother-in-law, who is in Assisted Living at St. Dominic's Village. One of her lunch buddies has been deeply depressed and afraid that she may have to move in with one of her children since the rent program that "help(s) to subsidize the many residents throughout the Village who have outlived their resources" (quote from our usual solicitation letter we received dated February 19, 2008 for the Bishop Rizotto Charity Golf Tournament; proceeds from which we thought would go to this program) was abruptly halted. She was informed that her rent would increase from around $400 to OVER $1300, and this is just for a tiny independent living room!! :o Rent goes up every July like clockwork as well. MIL heard that one of the lady's kids cashed in some equity on his/her house to try and keep her there for as long as possible - poor woman can't walk, on Medicaid as well as Medicare, so she can't have much....latest rumor is that the program money was channeled to the Cathedral for some reason. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

I received this e-mail today. If you attended Mt. Carmel, you will probably want to attend...

"ONE LAST VISIT"

May 28, 2008

The Mount Carmel High School administration, faculty, and students

Invite all to come celebrate 52 years of tradition on Wednesday, May 28

The festivities begin with Mass at 8:30 a.m. on the football field

Activities will continue until 9 p.m.

Come share your memories with alumni and tour the school for "One Last visit"

For ????'s please e-mail dhuffman@aol.com or call

Dennis Huffman at 713-816-1461

And HISD plans to turn it into a charter school. I wonder what its name will become...

wishful thinking at this point. i believe they need 300k and they've raised over 1/2 in the past 2 or 3 weeks. the charter school proposal will occur at another facility, not at mt carmel :(

Edited by musicman

• 2 months later...

New Catholic school is for Houston's poorest students

Cristo Rey plans to open a year from now, using campus of Mount Carmel

The Rev. T.J. Martinez was so anxious to open a low-tuition Jesuit high school for Houston's poorest children that he pleaded with one of his superiors.

"He said, 'If you can find a property by Aug. 15, you will have my permission to open in 2009,' " Martinez recalled.

A team of corporate leaders fanned the city and

• The title was changed to Mount Carmel High School At 6700 Mount Carmel Dr.