Walter Cronkite

dachmation

Neartown webpage states Walter Cronkite lived at 1400 Westheimer in early 30's---------- Avondale Association (west of montrose-north of lovett-east of bagby-south of fairview) brags walter lived with in their boundaries-----any info?

That makes no sense. You can't be east of Bagby and west of Montrose at the same time. Um, Neartown Assoc., that's Montrose. Actually, at some point, Clarke Gable and Howard Hughes lived in this area as well.

That makes no sense. You can't be east of Bagby and west of Montrose at the same time. Um, Neartown Assoc., that's Montrose. Actually, at some point, Clarke Gable and Howard Hughes lived in this area as well.

so my directions are a bit skewed---avondale is a residential area EAST OF MONTROSE WEST OF BAGBY--- one of about 2 dozen or so NEARTOWN associations------so do you have infromation on walter cronkite?

I'm familiar with the Avondale Assoc., a friend of mine is a board chair and I have friends that used to live on Avondale. I've never heard anyone say which house Walter lived in though. 1400 Westheimer is down by the curve and that's more like Cherry Hurst.

I do know that he went to Lanier Jr. High and San Jacinto High schools. I think San Jac. is now HCC in Midtown.

He also went to Woodrow Wilson Elementary on Yupon.

My guess is he probably lived at 1412 (or 1414) Westheimer because he has used this story in his speeches and in his book and the addresses seem to stay the same:

"My first job was with the Houston Press -- and our competitor was the Houston Chronicle. We each put out several editions a day. Each time the Chronicle put out a new edition, a copy boy ran eight blocks to its loading dock to bring back a copy -- literally hot -- or at least warm -- off the press. My editor would then spread it out on his desk to compare what they

Rather grew up in the Heights, and then went to Sam Houston for college. In the Heights, he lived at 1432 Prince. He went to Love Elementary, Hamilton Junior High, and Reagan High School.

rat0-014a.gif

rat0-013a.gif

(Truck says "Houston Pipe Line Co.")

He mentions in one of his books that, as a kid, he "would often pass by the vacant-lot rehearsal space of the Flying Valentis, a nationally known family of circus trapeze artists." The only reference I've found to the Flying Valentis on the internet is that there's an antique poster of them hanging in this hotel room (you can see just part of the poster on the page). But it appears that members of the family performed at various times under the names "Flying Valentines" and "Flying Valentinos", based on this article, which says that the "Original Flying Valentines" lived on the 1600 block of 21st Street in Houston in the late 1930's.

bw-1987Nov4.jpg

Thanks for the info on Dan Rather.

I also attended Love Elementary and lived (until I was in 2nd grade) very

near the Rather homestead.

I can remember (only vaguely) Dan's time here with KHOU-TV.

thanks so much for all the valuable input----AVONDALE AS A RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT IS CELEBRATING 100 YEARS--OLDER THAN RIVER OAKS AND THE LINK-LEE MANSION-both train and trolley of houston ran through area--AVONDALE HAS PUT TOGETHER A BI-MONTHLY HISTORIC WALKING TOUR AS PART OF CELEBRATION---SHOWCASING ARCHITECTURE, HISTORY, FAMOUS PEOPLE--orginal family home whose small coffee business became MAXWELLHOUSE--family whose small business became LEOPOLD, PRICE &ROLLE--family whose small oil business became HUMBLE--family for whom MEYERLAND was named--and so when historic information was being gathered the info about walter cronkite came up. . . . . . . .

thanks so much for all the valuable input----AVONDALE AS A RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT IS CELEBRATING 100 YEARS--OLDER THAN RIVER OAKS AND THE LINK-LEE MANSION-both train and trolley of houston ran through area--AVONDALE HAS PUT TOGETHER A BI-MONTHLY HISTORIC WALKING TOUR AS PART OF CELEBRATION---SHOWCASING ARCHITECTURE, HISTORY, FAMOUS PEOPLE--orginal family home whose small coffee business became MAXWELLHOUSE--family whose small business became LEOPOLD, PRICE &ROLLE--family whose small oil business became HUMBLE--family for whom MEYERLAND was named--and so when historic information was being gathered the info about walter cronkite came up. . . . . . . .

Place that Avondale walking tour notice under Community Announcements. :) and wow! It's been years since I heard of Leopold, Price & Rolle! Why, I'll be the monkey's uncle!

I remember it very well! Also seems like I remember him taking his glasses off at the end of that message after looking up at a clock, and blinking, as if he had tears in his eyes.

Here it is, if you move ahead about 7:45 minutes.

=======>

since i didn't find the cronkite info i was looking for maybe i can get help with this--there is a street named WHITNEY platted around may 1907 for the 1908 opening of AVONDALE DEVELOPMENT--i tried to find the reason this name was chosen--i looked in that historic houston street name book but it said whitneywas a fallen soldier of WWI--but this street was named in 1907--In Texas history I found a CHARLES WHITNEY--major stockholder in Texas Central Railroad for whom the town Whitney was named in 1879--Then there was ANN WHITNEY a school teacher in Hamilton County Texas who (she was trying to get the school children through the window to escape)was massacred in her school house on the Leona river by Comanches on July 1867---

Could Whitney street be named for either of these historic figures?

• 1 month later...

Walter Cronkite lived on Marshall St., three houses in from the corner of Hazard and Marshall on the North side of the street. I know this second hand because I lived there back in the early 90's. I rented the top floor, which had been turned into an apartment, and my landlord - wonderful person who lived on the bottom floor - told me that it was Walter Cronkite's boyhood home. If memory serves, she had a letter from Walter Cronkite attesting that this is where he lived.

I apologize but I do not remember the exact address.

Walter Cronkite lived on Marshall St., three houses in from the corner of Hazard and Marshall on the North side of the street. I know this second hand because I lived there back in the early 90's. I rented the top floor, which had been turned into an apartment, and my landlord - wonderful person who lived on the bottom floor - told me that it was Walter Cronkite's boyhood home. If memory serves, she had a letter from Walter Cronkite attesting that this is where he lived.

I apologize but I do not remember the exact address.

1836 Marshall

1930 Census image. Thirteen year old Walter is at the bottom:

Walter_Cronkite_1930_Census.jpg

Wow..I lived in that area from 92-95. I think we were a few streets down from Marshall. I would walk to Lanier the whole time until I finshed in 93. maybe Walter walked the same route I did. Our duplex was built in 1926 and it sometimes gave me the creeps. I don't know any particular history behind that house but I always got bad vibes and bad stuff happend to our family in the time we were there. Stuff like a car wreck, someone we were friends with died soon after getting married (I went to her wedding and funeral in a window of under 20 months), etc...

As soon as we moved out we had much better luck. There is nothing scientific to back this up but just a trend.

Where did you get that census data?

I'll have to find my old address and research it. That place was so old it had natural gas jets in each room built into the baseboard. I used to play tennis against a wall and lost ton of the tennis balls to the crawl space under the house. They're probably still there to this day.

Actually, at some point, Clarke Gable and Howard Hughes lived in this area as well.

My grandparents lived at Hyde Park and Converse, for more than fifty years. When I was a kid, we could never drive down Hyde Park, without my grandmother pointing out which house Clarke used to live in. She did it every single time, and now I can't remember the address. It was in big white numbers, on what I seem to remember being a green two story house. If I passed it today, I could still point it out. (provided that it's still there)

I also remember everyone back then, talking about all the famous people who at one time or another, lived in that area. Howard and Walter being just two of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
A little behind, but here's a listing for that block of Marshall with Cronkite + a Hughes:

20uu2wm.jpg

A little behind, but here's a listing for that block of Marshall with Cronkite + a Hughes:

20uu2wm.jpg

That would have been when Walter was 15years old/16years old, depending on the month of posting.

The Hughes is NOT Howard Hughes...if that's what you were thinking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived