Italian Food In The Woodlands

albertnurick

One thing that we've yet to find is a really good Italian place out here.

Amerigo's has gone WAY downhill, and is coasting on its reputation.

Sweet Bella on Sawdust had promise, but (IMO) the food and service just aren't up to par. Pallotta's is mediocre.

The chains are, well, chains: Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, Carrabba's, etc.

The best we've found is Grazi, on 2920 about a half mile west of Kuykendahl. It's not real close, but it's where we end up going lately when we're in the mood for Italian.

Suggestions?

My family likes Grotto, but I would like to find something less expensive. We liked Joe's okay, but they've recently closed - they were in the Portofino shopping center, but I think there is another location in Conroe.

Good suggestions. We went to Joe's a couple of times, but had a feeling they wouldn't make it. It was OK, but we weren't compelled to return.

The Grotto isn't bad, but I can't avoid comparing it to how the Grotto used to be when Tony Vallone owned it, or how good his son's Amici is... in Sugar Land's Town Square. I agree that our Grotto is a bit too expensive for what you get.

Sweet Bella on Sawdust had promise, but (IMO) the food and service just aren't up to par. Pallotta's is mediocre.

The best we've found is Grazi, on 2920 about a half mile west of Kuykendahl. It's not real close, but it's where we end up going lately when we're in the mood for Italian.

Suggestions?

There is a place on the NW corner of Louetta and Theiss Mail Rt Road, (between Stuebner-Airline and Champion Forest) I think it is called Raoul's maybe? It's really good. Surprisingly good. I have to say I was surprised judging by the tacky strip center it is in. It is not what you would expect. The last time I was there they had a jazz musician playing, the service was good, and the food was excellent.

• 1 month later...

Suggestions?

It's strange why no one's mentioned Brio Tuscan Grille in front of TW Mall. They have fabulous pork chops that they marinate for 3 days before cooking them. Also, their bread is really a basket full of thin crackers with wonderful seeds of all kinds on them -- just to die for.

Suggestions?

I ate at the Pallotta's on Jones and 1960 before it closed down, and it was the best Italian food I've had in northwest Houston. It was better than Campioni in the Champions Village and better than Carrabba's on Champion Forest Dr. I thought Pallotta's spaghetti and meatballs was just as good as some of the Italian places I ate at in San Diego's Little Italy a couple years ago.

I'll admit that truly good Italian food is hard to find in the Houston suburban areas, because people base their standards on places like Olive Garden, and so if anything is even slightly better than that, then it is considered good Italian food.

• The title was changed to Italian Food In The Woodlands

Archived