Fox 26's Robert Smith dies in tragic accident!

emirate25

Typically I don't care when local TV people move on, pass away or whatever. Honestly, besides maybe Steve Smith, no local TV personality has ever struck me as someone interesting enough to warrant any real opinions or caring.

I realized when I heard about Robert Smith, though, that perhaps he was another exception. I think he was a genuinely good guy and was good at what he did. The reason I think I knew his name was because it's the same as the lead singer for The Cure. Shortly after I moved here in 1987, I noticed him on the air and it just sort of registered with me for that reason. Later, I found out that he got his start at the ABC affiliate in Lufkin -- KTRE. That was my hometown (Nacogdoches) TV station. I paid attention to him.

I liked his work. He seemed real. In today's TV world, that is exceptional.

i read something that stated he was crushed by a tractor he was driving. It somehow flipped over. very tragic.

From what I heard he was operating a backhoe, digging a trench for his sewer line at his house in Austin County, somehow while digging he didn't realize where he was at and ran onto the lid of the Septic tank and it cracked in half, the tractor fell backwards and threw him off crushing him.

He was rushed to a local hospital and they saw how bad he was injured and knew he needed further help so was supposedly sent to a Bryan hospital but died enroute.

From what I heard he was operating a backhoe, digging a trench for his sewer line at his house in Austin County, somehow while digging he didn't realize where he was at and ran onto the lid of the Septic tank and it cracked in half, the tractor fell backwards and threw him off crushing him.

He was rushed to a local hospital and they saw how bad he was injured and knew he needed further help so was supposedly sent to a Bryan hospital but died enroute.

I am one of Robert Smith's daughters; I came across this website and noticed this post.

First I would like to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers - it is very evident that my father was known very well & loved by many because of his kind nature.

Second, I would like to take a second to clarify the above comment posted by user Brian. While I will not go into detail about what happened that day, I would like to confirm that even though the comment above is partially true (he was operating a backhoe on his property) this following quote is not what occured during the incident: "somehow while digging he didn't realize where he was at and ran onto the lid of the Septic tank and it cracked in half".

While we very much appreciate your thoughts, I would like to make sure rumors do not get started about what occurred that day.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts and sympathies.

Sad to hear. I remember a long time ago on 26 they showed him on a weekend newscast w/ his son graduating from h.s I believe, who had down's syndrome. He seemed like a nice decent human being.

Thank you for your thoughts - this is one of Roberts daughters. I just would like to clarify the above comment made about my brother. He did not have downs syndrome but rather brain cancer. He actually passed away from the cancer a few months after graduating high school.

So where did you here that rumor at BRIAN

SO WHERE DID YOU HERE THIS RUMOR FROM, YOU SOURCE OF INFO?

So where did you here that rumor at BRIAN

SO WHERE DID YOU HERE THIS RUMOR FROM, YOU SOURCE OF INFO?

Well I never said it was a rumor, I had heard what I posted from some of the locals close to where he was living before the trajic accident.

Brian

Archived