Houston resists recession

• 2 weeks later...
Once when there was a boom we had skyscrapers going up by Philip Johnson, I.M. Pei, SOM, and Cesar Pelli. Now the big news is a Dunkin' Donuts expansion, Rooms to Go, and a 1 million square foot distribution center.

<_<

If I might distract the conversation from donuts, there are plenty of skyscrapers planned or under construction in Houston. I would agree with you that we no longer have the quality of architecture that we once did, but I don't think that is a function of the economy. I also think that a boom now isn't comparable to one 30 years ago, in that there is relatively less demand for traditional high-rise office space relative to jobs created.

If I might distract the conversation from donuts, there are plenty of skyscrapers planned or under construction in Houston. I would agree with you that we no longer have the quality of architecture that we once did, but I don't think that is a function of the economy. I also think that a boom now isn't comparable to one 30 years ago, in that there is relatively less demand for traditional high-rise office space relative to jobs created.

Well, I'm just going by what this article mentioned. Yes, we have a couple of modest skyscrapers going up by low-profile architects. I'm not holding my breath on any others planned with this recession hitting. You're right, this boom isn't comparable to one 30 years ago, that was my point - whatever the reason might be.