Ideal Gulf Coast Vernacular

woolie

I've been going to UTMB every other week for a while now to work with a collaborator. Typically we'll walk through the neighborhood to a nearby restaurant for lunch.

I'm trying to imagine if Houston had 2 million units of stuff like this instead of the soulless sprawl.

2381498811_c436ce69f6_b.jpg

2381501521_769e439335_b.jpg

Are row houses with yards in the back just not family friendly enough? Is it the lack of SUV parking? Please enlighten me.

Ideally I'd put parking in alleyways in the back, or onstreet.

That's been tried in several communities. When I've done site visits, I always notice that the alleys are aesthetic dead zones of concrete and hardi-plank, with little or no landscaping, yet more human activity than that front yards or common areas.

These are done by Parkside Homes, if I'm not mistaken, which is a subsidiary of K. Hovnanian.

That's been tried in several communities. When I've done site visits, I always notice that the alleys are aesthetic dead zones of concrete and hardi-plank, with little or no landscaping, yet more human activity than that front yards or common areas.

That's what I'd expect, frankly. As are most suburban backyards even without alleyways. :)

That's what I'd expect, frankly. As are most suburban backyards even without alleyways. :)

Yeah, for the same kinds of price points as these communities, you don't get much more than sod in a back yard of a normal home...but you do get sod and a wood fence, and that's something.

with the width of the lots in the first pic, the homeowners could only have one car. not sure how attractive that would be to a family.

There's room for a two cars in the lot-parallel orientation or a single car parked street-parallel on the alley.

There's room for a two cars in the lot-parallel orientation or a single car parked street-parallel on the alley.

i can see that if there weren't stairs coming down. looks like the corolla can't pull up farther so it would have to be parked in a way to block the invisible sidewalk. the placement of the no parking sign in that pic is interesting. i wonder what that is about.

Archived