Additional Landscaping For Inner City Southwest Freeway

I don't know how many of you guys traverse the rush hour mess that is the SW freeway, but in the past few weeks TXDoT has been sprucing up the sides of the inner loop section with additional landscaping (specifically at Kirby, Buffalo Speedway, and Weslayan). We are all used to the mass tree plantings, but new (to me) is the replacing of seldom-mowed grass/weeds with native grasses and hardy perennials. I haven't had a chance to take inventory, but I have spotted Muhly grass, Society Garlic, Giant Liriope (I think), and I'm sure there are many other varieties out there.

It's a nice change and I'm happy to see TXDoT spending more money on plants so that perhaps they can save on mowing. Perhaps the plants will discourage motorists from driving across the grass when the traffic backs up on the freeway! Who wants to run over flowers?

I am going to email the Houston rep and see what addition they have planned for the other freeways. I would really appreciate some color at my 45/Cullen exit! ^_^

I don't know how many of you guys traverse the rush hour mess that is the SW freeway, but in the past few weeks TXDoT has been sprucing up the sides of the inner loop section with additional landscaping (specifically at Kirby, Buffalo Speedway, and Weslayan). We are all used to the mass tree plantings, but new (to me) is the replacing of seldom-mowed grass/weeds with native grasses and hardy perennials. I haven't had a chance to take inventory, but I have spotted Muhly grass, Society Garlic, Giant Liriope (I think), and I'm sure there are many other varieties out there.

It's a nice change and I'm happy to see TXDoT spending more money on plants so that perhaps they can save on mowing. Perhaps the plants will discourage motorists from driving across the grass when the traffic backs up on the freeway! Who wants to run over flowers?

What gets me is that you were able to ID the species of grass. Does traffic go THAT slow?

45/Cullen's problem is all the tacky palm trees. The only place (freeway) in Houston with decent palms is 45S/BW8.

I'm not really all that fond of the palm trees either and I'd wish they would just take them somewhere else, preferably to add in the 45S/BW8 area.

What I'm waiting for is for the Ivy along The Trench to cover up most of the concrete there. So far its been going along nicely, even though some of the ivy doesn't doesn't seem like they have the gumption to grow all the way up.

What gets me is that you were able to ID the species of grass. Does traffic go THAT slow?

Let's just say that traveling on 59 gives me a lot of time to ponder where to use Muhly in my landscape!

I'm not really all that fond of the palm trees either and I'd wish they would just take them somewhere else, preferably to add in the 45S/BW8 area.

I recall when TXDoT installed the palms along Gulf Freeway that they wanted it to have a coastal look. Unfortunately, the narrow, upright nature of the palms does nothing to obscure the less attractive frontage road sights. All of the other Houston freeway plantings have filled in and look better with age, while the Gulf Freeway plantings have done the opposite.

What I'm waiting for is for the Ivy along The Trench to cover up most of the concrete there. So far its been going along nicely, even though some of the ivy doesn't doesn't seem like they have the gumption to grow all the way up.

Yeah, the fig seems to get too heavy and falls over (they probably need to trim it more often). In the tiered areas where they planted at the base and at higher tiers, we are seeing much better coverage. Those crazy "corkscrew" Eucalyptus trees have fared well, and I noticed them for sale at Houston Garden Center.

I recall when TXDoT installed the palms along Gulf Freeway that they wanted it to have a coastal look. Unfortunately, the narrow, upright nature of the palms does nothing to obscure the less attractive frontage road sights. All of the other Houston freeway plantings have filled in and look better with age, while the Gulf Freeway plantings have done the opposite.

The reason the palms don't look good is that they're probably cramped in that double decker section of freeway, combined with the drear, boring looking and dirt stained overpasses. The ones at I-45 and the Tollway look better because the interchange is sprawling and not too confined. There's room for the palms to spread up and out, and the freeway overpasses have a color scheme on them that makes combo of the interchange and trees look a bit better.

Looks like they're also preparing to put in some new landscape on the west side of the 59/610 interchange.

This is great news. There used to be some sturdy Date Palms there before the reconstruction. I hope they replace them with more. I love Date Palms among freeways.

Yeah, the fig seems to get too heavy and falls over (they probably need to trim it more often). In the tiered areas where they planted at the base and at higher tiers, we are seeing much better coverage. Those crazy "corkscrew" Eucalyptus trees have fared well, and I noticed them for sale at Houston Garden Center.

That may be, plus the wind caused by passing trucks and the "wind tunnel" effect that may occur doesn't help much. Perhaps if TXDot dangled some more wiring or something that would allow the ivy to get a better grip. Once it gets over the "lip", it would do just fine. eventually, I hope that it gets thick enough where taggers won't be able to walk through easily.

As mean as this may sound, I hope its hazardous enough where they might trip and fall over the side as well.

Archived