Carter's Pianos At 819 Main St.

liammclaren

Today I had my piano tuned, and my piano technician said she used to hang out at a place called Carter's pianos, or something similar, which was downtown and evidently quite high end in its day-- they were Houston's Steinway dealer before Forshey. Anyone know anything about Carters, where it was, when it went out of business?

Today I had my piano tuned, and my piano technician said she used to hang out at a place called Carter's pianos, or something similar, which was downtown and evidently quite high end in its day-- they were Houston's Steinway dealer before Forshey. Anyone know anything about Carters, where it was, when it went out of business?

My dad and I would go to Carter Music all the time in the 60s. I found this info when I did a Google search: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~j...04/ps04_278.htm

We may still have some sheet music or books that we got from Carter. I'll look tomorrow.

ETA: I got curious and went downstairs to look. I found one book with the Carter Music Company stamp. It looks something like this:

Carter Music Company

Established 1877

San Jacinto and Leeland

Houston 2, Texas

The book was purchased in 1962 - before zip codes.

My dad and I would go to Carter Music all the time in the 60s. I found this info when I did a Google search: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~j...04/ps04_278.htm

We may still have some sheet music or books that we got from Carter. I'll look tomorrow.

ETA: I got curious and went downstairs to look. I found one book with the Carter Music Company stamp. It looks something like this:

Carter Music Company

Established 1877

San Jacinto and Leeland

Houston 2, Texas

Thanks for the info, really interesting actually. When did they go out of business?

I was somewhat surprised to see that H & H Music was still there!

Now that's old Houston musiccal instruments history.

Too bad we can't get any past owners or employees to comment on this forum? Are you out there?!

Bet they have great stories to tell! :D

Carter Music Company

Established 1877

San Jacinto and Leeland

Houston 2, Texas

I have some old postcards that show the older Main Street location.

• The title was changed to Carter's Pianos At 819 Main St.

Archived