Looking To Rehab

Hello all,

I love the heights. I've always been a fan of the early 20th century craftsmen bungalows, and it is my wife and my dream to own one in the heights. That said... we simply can't afford to buy one in good condition and just move in, so we are looking at finding a home that is either livable, or near livable (maybe needs a few things) that we could move into and fix along the way. I'm a fairly handy person (sheet rock, flooring, paint, etc.) but I would obviously want a professional for any major things (electrical/plumbing/foundation/roofing). Im not exactly sure where one neighboorhood starts and the next one stops. Any suggestions of areas that would be less expensive? I've found some things north of 11th street, east of Shepherd, south of 20th Street in that general area that appear to be what i'm looking for and in my price range. Now that you know what i'm looking for (getting myself into) here are some questions.

What are common major problems these houses will have that may not be obvious to the untrained eye?

What are some things that you consider MUST DO as far as updates and etc.

What are some other areas similar in price within the heights?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've been lurking on this site for quite some time, and finally joined. Any tips/criticisms etc. are greatly appreciated.

Curt

What are common major problems these houses will have that may not be obvious to the untrained eye?

What are some things that you consider MUST DO as far as updates and etc.

you'll probably get a wide variety of answers. one thing i sure didn't see was rotten beams under the home. they looked fine but when the house leveler started to lift the house, the jacks went through them.

as for must do updates, many original electrical systems are undersized for today's homeowner. upgrading sure gives a homeowner more options. my water pressure was probably 1/2 of what it is currently. after the plumber showed me the inside of a few of the pipes (the rust narrowing the pipes), i just replaced them all.

If you are looking for a little adventure, I would seriously consider looking just on the east side of 45 from Woodland Heights. I've noticed lately that a few townhomes-for-dinks are already going up over there, yet the land prices are still way lower than the areas west of 45. The houses are of the same vintage as the Heights.

The biggest thing I would watch out for is houses that have been "Home Depot'd" with lots of DIY or low-budget "remodels" over the years. If you are into rehabbing a house, the things you will really learn to appreciate are the things that make it an old house - doors, door knobs, windows, trim work, floors. Too often this stuff was yanked out and replaced with tract home quality crap. You can replace beams and wiring, but you can't get back the "soul" of house when all of the original interior is gone.

If at all possible, i think i'd like to stay west of 45... on the east side it just seems a bit rough. I'm sure it will be better over time, but as of right now it seems just a bit too sketchy. Maybe i should go drive over there again and look. Do you think that having the home leveled is going to be a "must" on most homes i'm looking at? As far as the hardware goes... I think i'm going to start hunting for homes going under the dozer, so i can collect as much original style hardware as possible. I'm quite certain i can refinish old hardware to look nice. What do you think I'm looking to spend on a house in the heights area that is livable. It could be the ugliest house on the block, 800 sq. ft., and on a busier highway, but I'm looking for the lowest cost of entry to the heights.

btw. I probably won't be purchasing for up to one year (of course the right house at the right price would expedite my purchase). I am however, going to move into the heights (rent) in a few months to start getting the feel of the neighboorhood. I figure the best way to find new homes on the market is by riding my bicycle around the 'hood'.

Any other tips on rehabing. I'm thinking what i'll do is redo the electrical and plumbing system from the start, so I'll know they are done.

If you are looking for a little adventure, I would seriously consider looking just on the east side of 45 from Woodland Heights. I've noticed lately that a few townhomes-for-dinks are already going up over there, yet the land prices are still way lower than the areas west of 45. The houses are of the same vintage as the Heights.

According to this listing on HAR.com, there is going to be some major development on that side. buy now, reep the rewards later (and make many friends by saving a bungalow before it becomes townhome hell).

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

If at all possible, i think i'd like to stay west of 45... on the east side it just seems a bit rough.

and that's where the best deals will be found.

Do you think that having the home leveled is going to be a "must" on most homes i'm looking at?

It depends on the status of the structure currently. some older homes are in pretty good shape and are dry underneath. others have definite drainage problems with standing water underneath which affects stability.

As far as the hardware goes... I think i'm going to start hunting for homes going under the dozer, so i can collect as much original style hardware as possible. I'm quite certain i can refinish old hardware to look nice.
you can find a few treasures out front. one of my doors doesn't have original glass door knobs but i got a couple of doors (including knobs) from my neighbors plus you can find flooring occasionally , etc.

What do you think I'm looking to spend on a house in the heights area that is livable. It could be the ugliest house on the block, 800 sq. ft., and on a busier highway, but I'm looking for the lowest cost of entry to the heights.

Don't buy a house in an inherently bad location (near a freeway/busy street) just so you can say "I live in the Heights" It'll come back to bite you later.

In that HAR post, I'm intrigued by the Eiffel Tower seen in the last photo. How funny.

An Eiffel tower is exactly what Houston needs. I can't wait. This is going to be awesome.

Seriously though, I have heard a number of people talking about the areas around Fulton being good investments because of the city's planned North Corridor (Map Here). The area that was mentioned to me is around Fulton between Cavalcade and 610 (apparently there are decent homes on nice sized lots there). Of course, its going to be transitional for quite a while and it could be another 20 years before the corridor is reality. Obviously, itisn't the Heights, so I can't blame you if you're not interested.

Hello all,

I'm not exactly sure where one neighboorhood starts and the next one stops. Any suggestions of areas that would be less expensive? I've found some things north of 11th street, east of Shepherd, south of 20th Street in that general area that appear to be what i'm looking for and in my price range.

cwrm4 and musicman are correct that good deals can be had east of 45. It would be the "lowest cost of entry to the Heights". You are correct that it is an effcient real estate market.

For the area you're looking at, Heights Annex which is west of Nicholson (also the right of way for the new bike trail), north of W. 11th, south of W. 16th, and straddles the Sheherd/Durham corridor would probably be a good bet. Prices are lower than Heights proper, probably because the lots are smaller and it's adjacent to a truly ugly corridor (Shepherd/Durham). However, the neighborhood seems mostly insulated - tree-lined, safe, quiet. There is a lot of rehab and new construction in the area like Bungalow Revival projects on W 14th at Blair and the massive surface area Tricon has purchased on W. 15th at Alexander.

Not sure what your budgeting. There are a handful of good prospects.

Don't buy a house in an inherently bad location (near a freeway/busy street) just so you can say "I live in the Heights" It'll come back to bite you later.

I would not advise buying anything that backs up to Shepherd (ie. the odd-number side of Dorothy) or to Durham (the even-number side of Nashua). Noise and unsure development prospects are my primary reasons.

Minor stuff, but get comfortable with a chisel and plane, since you'll be dealing with janky doors on an ongoing basis as the house shifts and humidity goes up and down. And unsticking windows, re-screening and repairing sashes is a messy, labor intensive process, since most bunglaows have lots of windows that have been sealed shut (often with lead paint) repeatedly over the years. Assuming you want working windows--many people don't want to mess with it, but I like to open the house up, and I can't bring myself to replace the original windows if they can be saved.

I'm fairly familiar with the windows sticking problem. My brother had a 40s craftsmen in Shreveport, LA and we really had some issues with them. Not to mention when he first moved in they had all been painted shut. Windows being able to open in common rooms (living / kitchen / etc.) is definately a must. I'll go pay a revisit to the Hogan/Fletcher area, but it just seems odd that it all backs up to Hogg Park... i would hate for the name to be too fitting. I definately like the idea of living near the bike path. What kinda price range do you think i'm looking at for something that is livable?

I definately like the idea of living near the bike path. What kinda price range do you think i'm looking at for something that is livable?

What's your definition of liveable? :D

Here are some bungalows that are in okay shape

(It's salmon. Not pink. I actually prowled around this house after it was listed. I couldn't see anything major wrong. I'm not an inspector).

(Hmmm...no inside pics - leaves me suspicious. It may be the current residents are slobs).

(3/3 at $109/sf. Looks like they added on a large, cheap addition).

Well, i would prefer not to be able to see the ground through the floors, or the sky through the roof! So basically as long as it is safe for me to live there, and has working A/C and plumbing. That first one you posted is pretty much what i'm looking for. Like i said though, i'm not quite ready to buy. But this is very reassuring that there is some housing available within my budget. I'm probably looking in the 200k and less range, so something in the 160-180s would be perfect, since i could account to invest 20-30k into the house upon purchase. I like the one with the garage apartment, I could always finish that out first on the cheap and live there for a while, and the house could be a longer, more involved rehab. There is really some great/helpful people on this site. I truly appreciate all the input so far.

I'm just a poor man, trying to save a bungalow.

I'm just a poor man, trying to save a bungalow.

The only problem I see currently is that many lots in the 'hood will go for 200k+ depending on the location. Once they go up for sale the builders pick them off. There will still be houses then but it will take a while to find. However, living in the heights is the best plan so you know what's available.

I'd also make sure the wife is on board w/ roughing it...b/c these non-updated homes will have to have electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roof and foundation work that in the first four could lead to complete replacement. Not cheap but price is only part of the issue. GL though, we're restoring and updating ours bit by bit and it's a lot of fun.

Yeah the wife is 100% onboard. If the house became unlivable for a few days (like if the plumbing had to be completely redone) it wouldn't be much of an issue because my parents live in Kingwood and we could crash there. I will be in 'the hood' today and will probably make some drive-by's of a few places i've seen on HAR. A friend of mine said that there are several houses that sale by owner that never even see HAR. I'm hoping this will increase my chances to find my home. Looking to find a place to rent starting in May with Move in date of around June 1st. Keep your eyes open for good rental deals for me!

There's a cute bungalow up for sale in the 1400 block of Columbia. The resident has been there for 40 years and is moving to the Woodlands to be close to her son. I believe it's in good shape structurally. However, in terms of updating, it needs everything. The realtor's sign out front says it has just been reduced. Dont' know the price. Neighborhood folks thought it had been snapped up by a builder but the "reduced" sign would seem to indicate otherwise. Now that that section of Houston Heights is part of a historic district there are tax incentives available to help offset the cost of improvements. I don't know what the new asking price is. I think she started somewhere in the mid-200s. I don't know if it is on HAR. It might be worth a drive by.

1418 Columbia is being advertised as a teardown at a price of $250k. HAR lists it as pending.

I hate to say it, but I would almost advise against getting a small bungalow in Houston Heights proper, as chances are you will end up with a "canyon effect" house, i.e. McVictorians will tower over you on all sides. I've pretty much written off the Houston Heights; with the larger lots there the economics no longer favour keeping sub 1500 sq ft bungalows around.

Woodland Heights or especially Norhill Heights offer the best opportunity to live in an mostly-gentrified "bungalow community" (for a while, at least).

Woodland Heights or especially Norhill Heights offer the best opportunity to live in an mostly-gentrified "bungalow community" (for a while, at least).

I live in **da daaaaa* Proctor Plaza, of which Norhill Heights is part. We are the largest truly designated Historic District in the Heights and it shows. While there are bigger homes build in the 70s or early 80s, the area is 95% bungalows. Many are in need of rehab, but due to cheap, bad or both 80s type renovations vs all original guts needing to be replaced. You can get a good deal if you look on the fringes of the area, like the north east side near Main/45. I adore this area and am glad to live somewhere that McMansions don't have a presence.

Houston Heights now has two City of Houston historic districts and petitioning is underway for a third. Within the districts 68% of the housing inventory is still considered historic. Actually, when it comes to price, Norhill and Woodland Heights have outpaced Houston Heights five years running. We'll soon see if it continues for a sixth year. I think the Chronicle does its annual pricing story each spring.

Eastwood (77011 / 77003) and Pine Crest (77020) are affordable alternatives to The Heights if you want to stay close to Downtown.

We almost bought a 1920's Bungalow last year on Wilmer Street; but since we are not that handy we changed our minds.

I wonder if somebody bought it to restore.

Here is a listing in Pine Crest for only $55K:

Good luck!!!

Eastwood (77011 / 77003) and Pine Crest (77020) are affordable alternatives to The Heights if you want to stay close to Downtown.

We almost bought a 1920's Bungalow last year on Wilmer Street; but since we are not that handy we changed our minds.

I wonder if somebody bought it to restore.

Here is a listing in Pine Crest for only $55K:

Good luck!!!

Pine Crest? I think I would stay south of I-10 for the time being.

Eastwood is 77023

i want to stay west of 45 i think. I know there are/were/will be houses in the area that will sell at the price i'm looking at so why settle? One of the main reason's I want to be in the heights is i'm heavily involved with the brazilian arts foundation at 11th and studewood. Living close to there is a huge plus. Hopefully a rent house or nice garage apartment or something will come up in May for me rent starting in June.

SilverJK,

Here is a little gem you need to look at! This is right up the street from me, in the heart of Norhill. The owner either passed away or was sent to live elsewhere. She was elderly and was the 2nd owner at the most. I'm sure it needs a lot of work, but again this is right in the heart of Norhill and another deal like this may never be seen. Nice yard, less than a block from the Norhill esplanade, a couple blocks from Proctor Park, walking distance to Antidote, the Shiloh, Fiesta, DaCapos, 11th Street and more. C'mon, be my neighbor!!

As extra motivation, you should know that my home is now appraised at $62k more than we paid for it just under 3 years ago (3years in June). I bet you could get them under $200k if you act fast. A flipper may pick this up quickly.

Saw this one yesterday! I would love to buy this one, It is just not possible at the moment. I won't be able to buy anything until probably a year from now (wife won't start making money until May 09'). This is the absolute, ideal location for me though. Wonder if they would do a rent to own... I might contact them with quesions about it.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure that with HAIF's help, i'll find the perfect place.

SilverJK,

Here is a little gem you need to look at! This is right up the street from me, in the heart of Norhill. The owner either passed away or was sent to live elsewhere. She was elderly and was the 2nd owner at the most. I'm sure it needs a lot of work, but again this is right in the heart of Norhill and another deal like this may never be seen. Nice yard, less than a block from the Norhill esplanade, a couple blocks from Proctor Park, walking distance to Antidote, the Shiloh, Fiesta, DaCapos, 11th Street and more. C'mon, be my neighbor!!

I can't believe the Realtwh0re put THIS in the listing...

2117725-4.jpg

I can't believe the Musicman put THIS in the listing...

2117725-4.jpg

:lol: Yeah.. I thought that was funny.. that just screams: "IGOTTAHAVETHISHOUSE!"

heh

I'm always leery of listings without interior shots.. Either the current tenants are incredibly messy.. or it needs a major overhaul.. (or it was unaccessible the day of photos)

Good luck! Come to da hood!

I'm always leery of listings without interior shots.. Either the current tenants are incredibly messy.. or it needs a major overhaul.. (or it was unaccessible the day of photos)

i am definitely guessing it's in need of pretty much a full gutting

Archived