Finally, An Answer To Rising Gasoline Prices

Accelerated Composites (AC), a private company of only 15 employees based in San Diego, Calif., may be taking a big leap with the Aptera, a three-wheel, two-passenger prototype that aims for an astounding 330 miles per gallon. AC was founded in 2006 by Steve Fambro and Chris Anthony, two independent entrepreneurs with experience in everything from composites and biotechnology to aerodynamics and finance.

The initial prototype of the Aptera achieved 230 mpg, a number that is 195 mpg over the projected standard outlined in President Bush's recent energy bill. As of now, the developers still have more time to work out the kinks and improve its efficiency -- AC expects the Aptera to be ready for Californians in late 2008.

aptera-1.jpg

aptera-2.jpg

aptera-4.jpg

Images courtesy ­Accelerated Composites

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/aptera-hybrid.htm

Gets 230 MPG for around 30 grand. Thoughts? I kind of like it!

Now that's back to the future, Bryan!

Three wheels always make me nervous. 2 or 4.

In terms of fuel altneratives, I'm really getting more interested in coverting a diesel to cooking oil. Find a nice old mercedes sedan, retrofit it and drive around smelling like fried chicken.

Yeah that might be great with no traffic. But there's a reason most cars resemble fortified boxes: at some point most of us will get distracted and slam into something or be a victim of the same. I can envision a road full of these things - the way it is shaped it looks like a rear-end collision would send the pointy back of one right into the face of the other driver. That, or it would slide under the back of the front car and send it flying. I want to see footage of that. And where do I put my kid, stroller, groceries, camping gear? Does it come with a space-looking trailer? Make one twice as big, with 4 wheels, that only gets half the MPG (115) and I'm in.

I am eagerly awaiting to see what Toyota and GM do with plug-in electric hybrids. Both are aiming to have a vehicle on the market in 2010.

The concept is that you can plug in your vehicle overnight and then drive about 75 miles on battery power before the gasoline engine kicks on. For many Houston commuters, they would rarely have to use gasoline at all.

The vehicles are faring very well in road tests. The larger engineering challenge is that all the "other stuff" that we have come to expect in a vehicle (heating, cooling, sound systems) are a huge battery drain. Current systems are designed to be powered by a gasoline engine, not batteries, so many other components outside of the drive train are undergoing a re-engineering process.

I am eagerly awaiting to see what Toyota and GM do with plug-in electric hybrids. Both are aiming to have a vehicle on the market in 2010.

The concept is that you can plug in your vehicle overnight and then drive about 75 miles on battery power before the gasoline engine kicks on. For many Houston commuters, they would rarely have to use gasoline at all.

The vehicles are faring very well in road tests. The larger engineering challenge is that all the "other stuff" that we have come to expect in a vehicle (heating, cooling, sound systems) are a huge battery drain. Current systems are designed to be powered by a gasoline engine, not batteries, so many other components outside of the drive train are undergoing a re-engineering process.

As someone who drives four miles roundtrip to work, that would be a wonderful.

In terms of fuel altneratives, I'm really getting more interested in coverting a diesel to cooking oil. Find a nice old mercedes sedan, retrofit it and drive around smelling like fried chicken.

Yeah! Something realistic to consider (although refueling can be a pain). Reasonably priced Mercedes 300Ds shouldn't be too difficult to find, either.

These guys have some information about the process:

http://www.greasecar.com/

http://www.frybrid.com/

And local fueling:

http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com/

http://www.bayoudiesel.com/

Your mentality, is exactly what has caused the gas crisis/i need the largest vehicle possible type mentality.

How can we improve our overall gas mileage when our average driver, is a paranoid, "get me the largest fortified box i can get" type of driver?

Gas is only going to get more expensive, and our society is only going to continue to downsize for better gas mileage. Its the right thing to do, but sadly its because of gas prices people are adapting, not because they are concerned about our planet..

Yeah that might be great with no traffic. But there's a reason most cars resemble fortified boxes: at some point most of us will get distracted and slam into something or be a victim of the same. I can envision a road full of these things - the way it is shaped it looks like a rear-end collision would send the pointy back of one right into the face of the other driver. That, or it would slide under the back of the front car and send it flying. I want to see footage of that. And where do I put my kid, stroller, groceries, camping gear? Does it come with a space-looking trailer? Make one twice as big, with 4 wheels, that only gets half the MPG (115) and I'm in.

Your mentality, is exactly what has caused the gas crisis/i need the largest vehicle possible type mentality.

How can we improve our overall gas mileage when our average driver, is a paranoid, "get me the largest fortified box i can get" type of driver?

Gas is only going to get more expensive, and our society is only going to continue to downsize for better gas mileage. Its the right thing to do, but sadly its because of gas prices people are adapting, not because they are concerned about our planet..

I think you took a little liberty with interpreting my post. I never said I need the biggest anything, just big enough to put kids and a little stuff in. It is completely unreasonable to expect people with kids to drive that kind of 2 seater toy. I'm not positive, but I bet you can't fit a car seat, much less 2, in that thing. And by the way, I've got a 4 door sedan that gets 30 mpg on the hwy, I walk wherever it is reasonable, I recycle everything they allow in the green bin, and I ride my bike whenever I can, so I'm not sure what mentality you think I have. Downsizing is one thing, but you can't expect people to have to get those little trailers that you pull kids in behind bikes to put behind these little ultra high mpg toys.

Edited by 20thStDad

Your response makes it sound like the solution to gasoline scarcity is to clip everybody's testicles off. No kids --> higher tolerance for risk, fewer miles traveled, less stuff hauled.

No kids --> higher tolerance for risk, fewer miles traveled, less stuff hauled.

well, it would make for a nicer shopping, service and dining experience pretty much everywhere.

Before anyone starts......I heart children. I really do. Please just have your situation sorted before bringing them out.

well, it would make for a nicer shopping, service and dining experience pretty much everywhere.

how many parents do you piss off?

i was talking with my mom earlier who went to ross at almeda and she said they had two guards up by the cash registers. whenever any of the children were acting up the guards corrected their behavior. she said one kid started to stand up in the cart and the guard said to sit down. another was trying to lean on a shelf and he told him to stand up. my mom said she was ready to start applauding. she ultimately thanked the guards.

Edited by musicman

Interesting reading the responses... here are some points I have found in the article:

Safety

Crash tests have also proven successful, as the Aptera exceeded strength requirements for rollover and frontal impact requirements. The safety cage in the front of the vehicle gets its inspiration from Formula One race cars, which can easily reach speeds of up to 200 mph.

Three-Wheel Design

A tadpole formation like the Aptera's -- two wheels in front and one wheel in back -- will keep a vehicle

GM claims only 10-11 electric-only miles from the Saturn Vue plug-in hybrid scheduled for 2010. Even the Saturn concept car projected to be on the mkt sometime after 2012 will be only ~35 miles all electric.

Still, 10-12 miles works for inner loop to cbd commuters. and it won't be too hard to retrofit parking facilities so plug-in drivers recharge while at work, which would bring a lot more of the Metro area into plug-in range.

If you do all that you say, decently sized car, recycle, ride bikes, then I commend you.

Im just a little annoyed by so many americans driving massive trucks/suv's when theres little to no need for it. And, the numbers of people who feel they need a "large vehicle" just to keep their family safe.

I think you took a little liberty with interpreting my post. I never said I need the biggest anything, just big enough to put kids and a little stuff in. It is completely unreasonable to expect people with kids to drive that kind of 2 seater toy. I'm not positive, but I bet you can't fit a car seat, much less 2, in that thing. And by the way, I've got a 4 door sedan that gets 30 mpg on the hwy, I walk wherever it is reasonable, I recycle everything they allow in the green bin, and I ride my bike whenever I can, so I'm not sure what mentality you think I have. Downsizing is one thing, but you can't expect people to have to get those little trailers that you pull kids in behind bikes to put behind these little ultra high mpg toys.

GM claims only 10-11 electric-only miles from the Saturn Vue plug-in hybrid scheduled for 2010. Even the Saturn concept car projected to be on the mkt sometime after 2012 will be only ~35 miles all electric.

Still, 10-12 miles works for inner loop to cbd commuters. and it won't be too hard to retrofit parking facilities so plug-in drivers recharge while at work, which would bring a lot more of the Metro area into plug-in range.

I read somewhere that GM was shooting for 70 electric-only miles from the Volt. But now I can't find it.

Still, I'll take what I can get. My commute is 48 miles round-trip. 35 of that being all-electric would be sweet.

EDIT: OK, now I see that GM is claiming 40 electric-only miles for the Volt and then 50 mpg thereafter. They are shooting for a 2011 model year release.

Edited by CDeb

If you do all that you say, decently sized car, recycle, ride bikes, then I commend you.

Im just a little annoyed by so many americans driving massive trucks/suv's when theres little to no need for it. And, the numbers of people who feel they need a "large vehicle" just to keep their family safe.

Well its not all safety. I spent the extra money on a V6 because I wanted the get-up-and-go that a four cylinder engine just couldn't provide. True, both would get me around town, but the V6 is more suitable to meandering drives through the countryside at speeds that would be dangerous or just plain unattainable for other vehicles, and it also comes in handy when weaving around in traffic. It helps, also, that I've got 17' wheels rather than the little donuts that come on economy cars and hybrids.